Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
And the fact of the matter is, if they could trade headlines on geek sites for the thousands of people who will replace their batteries without losing data, they'll take it. We need to realize we are a very small portion of the market and palmOne really doesn't care. Unless you tell someone in a sprint store of the issues with the memory, they will never, ever figure out on their own.
Don't count on it. The buyers of the Treo are by and large going to be a pretty tech savvy bunch. (Note I said buyers, not users. Corporate execs don't buy their own gadgets, for the most part. Some tech group in the company will evaluate products for purchase, first.

These memory reports are getting out into more mainstream web sites, not just the geeky ones. And the mainstream press tends to get a lot of it's information on tech issues from web news sources. Sometimes, it only takes a bit of bad publicity to put a negative spin on a product and kill it deader than dead. (On the other hand, sometimes no amount of negative press can kill a product, even if it deserves to die. The public is a fickle creature.) But if these reports show up in the New York Times, WSJ, Washington Post, Time, etc., it won't be good news for Palm. Nor for anyone who has a 650 they want to unload.

I don't think Palm can be at all happy with these reports circulating around the web, feeding off of each other. I think they increase the likelihood that Palm will have to make some kind of response, even if they don't believe the problem is real.