Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all these memory issues, I can't believe that Palm admitted in the road show Q&A in Boston that six lousy dollars is all it would have cost to upgrade the memory size.

That $6 would add at least $25 of retail value. I understand their need to meet a price target, but I think that $6 savings was a poor decision.
    At the DC roadshow they said it would have cost at least $18 more per unit. Multiply that by a half-million or million units and you have a significant price increase for any distributor/carrier. Then add in a profit margin and the extra cost to the end user is somewhat more than $25.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I was told less than $10.
    They should just pass the price onto the consumer and they might actually make more money on the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by gladman
    With all these memory issues, I can't believe that Palm admitted in the road show Q&A in Boston that six lousy dollars is all it would have cost to upgrade the memory size.

That $6 would add at least $25 of retail value. I understand their need to meet a price target, but I think that $6 savings was a poor decision.

Amazing! What a brain trust at PalmOne.

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    At the DC roadshow they said it would have cost at least $18 more per unit. Multiply that by a half-million or million units and you have a significant price increase for any distributor/carrier. Then add in a profit margin and the extra cost to the end user is somewhat more than $25..
  6.    #6  
    I think they weren't supposed to give out that $6 number, 'cause it makes 'em look stoooopid.
    DC was after Boston.
    I bet the Boston guy took a beating for shooting off his mouth.

There is no way that it would cost $18 per unit to go from 32MB to 64MB, even with Flash memory.

Also, personally, I think the memory upgrade is worth more than $25 retail - more like 30 to 40, but to most users, an extra $25 would not have killed them.

If it really is as expensive as you say, I think they would have been better off doing regular memory at 64MB than flash memory at 32MB. Most users do not let their battery go to zero and stay there long enough to wipe all memory. A small watch battery keeps your memory intact while you change batteries or until you can get to a charger.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I would have gladly paid an extra $30-40 for 64mb.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Price points folks. They had a certain margin to hit and didn't want to go over the magic $599 point. Hence no cradle, slip case, headphone adapter and 64mb of memory. Things that should have been included.

But I still LOVE IT. So there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    They should just pass the price onto the consumer and they might actually make more money on the deal.
    I agree. Everyone expected to pay $600+ for the device anyway and a lot of people would have paid it.

I paid $449 for my 650 which is the same price that I paid for my 600. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot
    Price points folks. They had a certain margin to hit and didn't want to go over the magic $599 point. Hence no cradle, slip case, headphone adapter and 64mb of memory. Things that should have been included.
    But a free $99 BT headset? Go figure that one.
    I don't believe the $6 figure. Maybe that's the difference for the regular memory, but there's likely additional cost for the NAND back-up, which I'm guessing would have to match.
    The question is can it be fixed????????????????? Will it be fixed? What about the sers who have them already if they come out with a new model with more memory?
    So true. Even though we all know $599 is in effect $600, people will react more favourably to $599 when it's advertised than they will to $600 (hence the reason almost everything is advertised this way,) so while $25 is not a lot extra and a sum that I think most of us on Treocentral would have gladly paid for the option of 64mb 650, obviously $599 was the hard limit price set by sales and marketing (and there would have been another profit point set by the business,) and Product design had to deliver a phone that fit those parameters NO MATTER WHAT. Sad, but in that case $6 could have been $6 too much.

Now if the sales/marketing people who set the sell price, and the bean counters who set the profit margin, see the negative publicity circulating the web right now they may decide that's prudent at this point to become more flexible on the memory issue. Who knows?
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by gladman
    I think they weren't supposed to give out that $6 number, 'cause it makes 'em look stoooopid.
    DC was after Boston.
    I bet the Boston guy took a beating for shooting off his mouth.

There is no way that it would cost $18 per unit to go from 32MB to 64MB, even with Flash memory.

Also, personally, I think the memory upgrade is worth more than $25 retail - more like 30 to 40, but to most users, an extra $25 would not have killed them.

If it really is as expensive as you say, I think they would have been better off doing regular memory at 64MB than flash memory at 32MB. Most users do not let their battery go to zero and stay there long enough to wipe all memory. A small watch battery keeps your memory intact while you change batteries or until you can get to a charger.
    Are you kidding me? Have you seen how cheep flash memory is? You can get 64mb for $18 and 1gig for $75. I would pay $100 buck extra to have a gig in my phone.
    It's also possible that P1 sets the price point for the 650 at least in part with input from Sprint (and other carriers.) They need carriers to support, sell, discount the Treo in order for it to be successful and I'm sure the carriers have very strong opinions about what will and won't sell at what price in their stores/for their networks.

So P1 may not have had as much freedom to add $25 to the price of the 650 as we are assuming.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers

But I still LOVE IT. So there.
    They did give us a free universal screen protector.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Forgive my ignorance on this one, but woudl it be possible, in the near future, for some tech-savy individual who is good with electronics to open up the 650 and simply replace a memory chip, or is it all far more involved than that. How easy/hard/impossible would it be to simply upgrade the memory ourselves, once someone figures out how?
    geez, a whopping $6 for a memory upgrade! stop the press! but wait a minute. let's look at this. if people are willing enough to part with $349 - 499 for the phone in the first place, would $6 be that big a deal.

NO!

you'll have to pay $50 or so for a memory card anyway, right?

sheesh
    Treo 650 with effective 14MB internal for people who think $599 is doable, but not $624 or whatever. Basically people qho bought it to show off.

$699 Treo 650 Pro with minimum 128MB internal memory chip for people who want to use it for what it's built to do. Even leave off the stupid backup flash because anyone who really uses it is charging it anyhow. Pro sells through PalmOne, no issue with carriers and PalmOne make out like bandit.

As it is now, at least they'll have plenty of stock for refurb units.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I don't think Palm can simply not deal with the carriers and put out a phone compatible with Sprint. Plus this makes Palm split their product lines and support twice as many. It's not exactly something you can decide over a 2 days.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast