Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by victrola
    I find I almost always have to do a soft reset of the phone each time I want to use BT DUN. I'm starting to believe Sprint really was holding back because of quirks in the software.
    I think the quirks are there because Sprint never had any intention of releasing DUN hence they put zero effort into fixing the bugs and simply hid the DUN option.
    Windows setup guide for Bluetooth Dun:

This is right from the Windows XP Help file, search for Bluetooth then then choose "To install a Bluetooth mobile phone and use it as a modem"

I found that if i went into device manager and changed the com port for the bluetooth modem to a higher port, then it worked... before that i was getting port in use errors... also do a soft reset on the treo each time you want to connect. FYI this was posted using dun!

To install a Bluetooth mobile phone and use it as a modem
    Some mobile phones can be used as a modem for your computer. To find out if your phone has this dial-up networking capability, read the documentation that came with the phone.

Attach or turn on the Bluetooth radio adapter for your Windows XP computer.
    Following the manufacturer's documentation, set up your mobile phone so that Windows XP can find it. Setting up your phone includes:
    Turning it on
    Making it discoverable
    Giving it a name (optional)
    Open Bluetooth Devices in Control Panel.
    Click Add, and then follow the instructions in the Add Bluetooth Device Wizard.
    To set up an Internet connection, see Create a Bluetooth connection to the Internet using a Bluetooth mobile phone.
    Notes

To open Bluetooth Devices, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Bluetooth Devices.
    Passkeys can be up to 16 characters long. We recommend using a long passkey.
    The passkey and encryption features help to secure your data. However, these and other security measures can be compromised or fail, and, if that happens, your data could be visible to or accessible by other devices or computers within range. Therefore, Bluetooth wireless technology should not be considered completely secure.
    To install your Bluetooth device, refer to the instructions that came with the device.

maybe this has been asked.... I am on holiday w/650 and latop and no internet. bought a BT adapter and need to dowbload the patch. can it be done just using the treo? can seem to get the prc to my phone. damn it's amazing how much one relies on the internet.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    try downloading it to the card on your treo... email it to yourself from the treo, then install from versamail... installing from email seems to be the only way to get it on the phone

5.    #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781
    I think the quirks are there because Sprint never had any intention of releasing DUN hence they put zero effort into fixing the bugs and simply hid the DUN option.
    You got it...

Also, for those of you wanting a eaiser way to install this all you have to do is change the attributes of the file so hotsync can replace it... Let me see if I can make the changes to where blazer can download it...
    ok here is what i've done. downloaded to card, file is attachment.php. emailed to myself using versamail. when recvd versamail does the conversion. os doesn't like it and asks if its a text file. if no back to email. if yes displays text file that says btmanager.
    can anyone help me with what I am doing wrong? I am doing this all via treo as I have no pc internet where I am. have filez on phone. any easy steps would be a great help. thanks
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    How about a patch to enable the "connect" button to allow Bluetooth to connect to my Lexus?

Here is the official Sprint response:
    "hank you for giving me the opportunity to address your concern.

Due to some development deadlines, the Treo 650 handset has been launched without the DUN [dial-up networking] and Bluetooth capabilities. However, as part of a scheduled maintenance release of software and compatibility testing, the dial-up networking and Bluetooth capabilities of this handset model will be supported.

Please be assured that as and when the dial-up networking and Bluetooth capabilities of the Treo 650 handset are launched, you will notified through numerous media releases. Upon the launch, you will be able to use your Treo 650 with your Lexus.

I appreciate your patience and cooperation in this regard.

Micheal S.
    Sprint eCare"
    I got it working, using it now in fact. I am working on step by step instructions for those that are dumb like me. Hope to have em on here by monday nite. Using Kensington usb bluetooth adapter. works great.

Makes the 650 even more worth the investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by docmike
    My 650 gets here tomorrow and I will be pairing it with my Powerbook G4 running OS X and would love to see the step by step.
    Try this: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64229
    Tip:

Enable:
    If you don't see network usage arrows above the signal indicator, just enable DUN.

If you DO see network usage arrows, power down the phone by hold the red power off button then power back on. Enable DUN.

Disable:
    When done with BlueTooth DUN, hold down the red power off button until the phone powers down. Then power up the phone. You don't need to disable DUN, it will be off.

It's the cleanest method I've seen and I never have to reset anymore after using DUN.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    i've successfully gotten it to work just through installing in blazer...
    http://members.cox.net/kenundrum/BtManager.patched.prc
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    now after i reinstalled the original btmanager file my treo soft resets whenever i try to send any file via bluetooth. what now?!
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    now after i reinstalled the original btmanager file my treo soft resets whenever i try to send any file via bluetooth. what now?!
    Number one rule of treo: If it doesn't work... Reset! Use a file manager to delete the btmanager file from ram... The rom file will become effective again. Do a soft reset, and then all should work...
    A note to anyone having trouble connecting:

Make sure that your treo is logged OFF Vision before turning on DUN and running your PCs bluetooth stack software to connect to the internet
    I think I have figured out why the device resets after hitting the device setup button

in the unhacked screen the setup devices button is the next executable item after discoverable

however witht the hack installed dun takes the place after discoverable preempting the device setup button.

I'd you need an explanation just pm me for my cell phone number (we're all Sprint so it should be a free call)
    My Bluetooth "Toys"

Sprint Treo 700p
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT w/UConnect
    HP DeskJet 450wbt
    Quote Originally Posted by victrola
    I find I almost always have to do a soft reset of the phone each time I want to use BT DUN. I'm starting to believe Sprint really was holding back because of quirks in the software. I don't mind doing a soft reset in getting this to work mind you, but many folks would have hammered P1 and Sprint if they'd released this in its current condition. I also find it's reliable for about an hour and then it dies. Sometimes I can reconnect, and sometimes I have to do another soft reset. No big deal, but it's really not quite soup IMHO.
    Mine seems to work really well, and I've stayed connected for several hours....
    Just wanted to thank shadowmite for this hack, I'm currently in Hearsfield-Jackson airport in Atlanta and have (according to cnet's info) a download speed of around 100.6 kbps I'm at 5 bars running Safari on a powerbook g4. I'll try to post later results as I travel cross country, either way thanks a lot shadowmite! Bugs and all, this patch is better to have then not to have. For those experienceing trouble when following directions exactly as written and advice (turning DUN off when not using it) I have enjoyed it extremely well. Also let me tell any mac users that salling clicker is probably the next coolest thing you can get for your treo 650.
    Last edited by edgefox; 12/01/2004 at 05:15 AM. Reason: run on sentences
    I also find it interesting that this is the only time that my data networking turns off when i'm done using it. Any other time, (browser versamail, snapper mail) the data port stays connected.
    OK here in Dallas Fortworth airport, I have 2-3 bars and cnet says that I'm at 136kbs I'm wondering if there was something up with my atlanta connection or if the bars have no effect on the data rate transfer.
  20.    #180  
    The connection speed is based on the current traffic level at the cell tower. You can be leased multiple lines for data, and the tower determines how many lines it can spare at any given moment...
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast