Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 598
  1. #101  
    I did a boo-boo and thought I'd mention so others could avoid... I inadvertently disabled DUN on the 650 before "Disconnecting" on my PBG4 in Internet Connect. All subsequent attempts to reconnect (even after turning BT off and on again on the PBG4) failed. I had to reset the 650, turn on BT, turn on DUN, then Connect the PBG4. I was then able to actually make a connection, then disconnect, turn off DUN on 650, turn off BT on 650 without any problems. So, that is the order of events that avoids freezing my 650
  2. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #102  
    Can someone please post step-by-step instructions on how to get this up and running on a PC. Thanks in advance
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Yes, the proper term is "patch", however the majority of users will prefer the hacked term as literally a patched file is a hacked file. The definition of hacking is becoming versed enough in how something works to make changes to accomplish your own goals... I think this is exactly what I've done. And no, I will not patch crippleware apps for anyone, this is wrong, and we need all the palm programmers we can get. I will not steal from them.

    The only reason I released this patch is because sprint has already declared their intention of releasing this to be free eventually, and furthermore, I only enabled something that was already there that palm MEANT to be enabled.

    Finally, for all of you who would like to make a donation, PLEASE give it to a palm programmer who writes programs you enjoy. Support the palm programmers and this platform will live on. I need only know you are all enjoying my work.
    Shadow:

    First, thank you for your work. I'm currently in between Treo 650s at moment (replacing a defective one), but I'm sure I'll love the patch.

    The thrust of my post was not to question the semantics or ethics of hacking/cracking/patching/sharing/stealing, but to point out that Sprint's alibi of technical issues delaying the patch lacks credibility. If I read your original post correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong), what you've done is activate a software switch, not write a driver. Since Sprint's resources far exceed one programmer, I have to assume that the delay is not a technical problem.

    My theory is that Sprint originally wanted to portray DUN as nonexistent on the 650, and since all carriers are concerned with bandwidth hogs, Sprint expected Cingular and T-Mobile to disable the profile likewise. But they didn't, and therefore made Sprint's DUN profile conspicuous by its absence. What's followed has been a public relations conundrum. Other TC members, like mgauss, have made similar speculations.

    I see a couple of possible post-DUN scenarios: they can either keep the de facto don't-ask-don't-tell policy of not enforcing their official no-tethering policy, or they can turn BT into a value-added tier of Vision, tacking on another $5-15.

    Personally, I'd be willing to pay a little extra for not having to worry that DUN is somehow considered illicit practice. But as Linus Torvalds once said, "Software is like sex. It's better when it's free."
  4. #104  
    If you read most of the replies, you'll see the hack is not stable. Sprint's excuse for holding out DUN IS CREDIBLE.

    I have problems turning the phone on with the patch enabled.
  5. #105  
    I am writing this on my laptop using my Treo 650 with PdaNet bluetooth enabled. I don't need the patch from Shadowmite (even though huge kudos to him for putting that together!) or Sprintpcs DUN. I also have the option of using a combo hotsync/charger cable to connect if need be. My connection speed seems to be even better than when I used PdaNet with my 600 and a cable. Amazing!

    I have been using PdaNet for the last year on my 600, and this is by far the most advanced version of the application yet. Great job to the folks at June-Fabrics for putting this out sooooo fast!
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    I am writing this on my laptop using my Treo 650 with PdaNet bluetooth enabled. I don't need the patch from Shadowmite (even though huge kudos to him for putting that together!) or Sprintpcs DUN. I also have the option of using a combo hotsync/charger cable to connect if need be. My connection speed seems to be even better than when I used PdaNet with my 600 and a cable. Amazing!

    I have been using PdaNet for the last year on my 600, and this is by far the most advanced version of the application yet. Great job to the folks at June-Fabrics for putting this out sooooo fast!
    With PdaNet, can you still receive incoming calls/make outgoing calls while online?
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    Shadow:

    If I read your original post correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong), what you've done is activate a software switch, not write a driver. Since Sprint's resources far exceed one programmer, I have to assume that the delay is not a technical problem.
    You are correct, it was simply a call to hide the widget from being shown. However the DUN seems quite unstable although quite effective when used properly. I'm imagining it a little differently though. I think they had no intention of EVER releasing bluetooth DUN for the 650, and the reason this is buggy is because palm was told not to even work on it (I'd imagine this was there from when the rom images of GSM/CDMA were split). I believe they had no intention of releasing this, but to save face for the company that VP announced they were just fixing it. The fact that I have patched the original implementation however will prompt them to keep their word now and have it implemented afterall. At least that's my take.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by threetee
    With PdaNet, can you still receive incoming calls/make outgoing calls while online?
    I have never tried to make an outgoing call while using PdaNet (I'm guessing you would switch to the phone app from pdanet to make the outgoing call and switch back and reconnect to the laptop after the call is finished). However, incoming calls are similar to using Blazer or any vision service. If you are in the process of sending / receiving data through the Treo, the incoming call will get forwarded to voicemail - otherwise, it will get through.
  9. #109  
    shadowmite,

    I realize that this is off-topic, but can you provide any details on the method or tools that you used to find this hack? I am interested in turning on the headset profile within the T3 and any suggestions you could provide would be useful.

    Also could the Treo 650 bluetooth.prc file be compatible with the T3...perhaps I could just overlay mine with the one you modified?

    Thanks!
  10. richardls's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #110  
    How do I intall? I don't have a SD card (when I try to download it from the web, it needs to put it on a card). When I try to hotsyn it in, I get an error:
    - Install failed: C:\Program Files\Handspring\Richar\Install\BtManager[1].patched.prc
    Install synchronization failed

    I downloaded and installed FileZ based on the prior e-mails and even deleted BtManager with it, but it still didn't work. In fact, when I synced, the old BtManager came back.

    How do I get this patch to install?

    Thank you in advance.

    -Richard
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    I have never tried to make an outgoing call while using PdaNet (I'm guessing you would switch to the phone app from pdanet to make the outgoing call and switch back and reconnect to the laptop after the call is finished). However, incoming calls are similar to using Blazer or any vision service. If you are in the process of sending / receiving data through the Treo, the incoming call will get forwarded to voicemail - otherwise, it will get through.
    My experience with PDANet has been the same as with Blazer. If you are ACTIVELY receiving or sending data, no calls. But if you are hooked up but not RXng/Sndng then you get the calls.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    I am writing this on my laptop using my Treo 650 with PdaNet bluetooth enabled. I don't need the patch from Shadowmite (even though huge kudos to him for putting that together!) or Sprintpcs DUN. I also have the option of using a combo hotsync/charger cable to connect if need be. My connection speed seems to be even better than when I used PdaNet with my 600 and a cable. Amazing!

    I have been using PdaNet for the last year on my 600, and this is by far the most advanced version of the application yet. Great job to the folks at June-Fabrics for putting this out sooooo fast!
    Can you post how you set this up?
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardls
    How do I intall? I don't have a SD card (when I try to download it from the web, it needs to put it on a card). When I try to hotsyn it in, I get an error:
    - Install failed: C:\Program Files\Handspring\Richar\Install\BtManager[1].patched.prc
    Install synchronization failed

    I downloaded and installed FileZ based on the prior e-mails and even deleted BtManager with it, but it still didn't work. In fact, when I synced, the old BtManager came back.

    How do I get this patch to install?

    Thank you in advance.

    -Richard
    Email it to yourself and then grab the email with Versamail. when you click on the attachment it will ask you if you would like to replace the existing file. tell it yes. soft reset.
  14. #114  
    Good job Shadow! On MyTreo.Net there's a version of this patch that's dated 11-23-04 and says it's by PalmOne... Do you know anything about that? I loaded it and got it to work with my PowerBook G4 running MacOSX... 10.3.6

    http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php...etails&lid=399
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    Good job Shadow! On MyTreo.Net there's a version of this patch that's dated 11-23-04 and says it's by PalmOne... Do you know anything about that? I loaded it and got it to work with my PowerBook G4 running MacOSX... 10.3.6

    http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php...etails&lid=399
    IamVincent, are you able to do a BT hotsync after using the patch on your PBG4 with OSX 10.3.6? I used the patch and surfed fine on the PB, but now I can't hotsync to either my PB or my iMac. It says another application is using the "port" when I try?!?!?

    Shadowmite, does this patch "take over" bluetooth even when turned off? I'm trying to understand why I can't connect anymore to either of my BT-enabled computers after installing and using the patch? Any thoughts here?
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by nomoresprint
    If you read most of the replies, you'll see the hack is not stable. Sprint's excuse for holding out DUN IS CREDIBLE.

    I have problems turning the phone on with the patch enabled.
    And to think I ever doubted P.T. Barnum . . .

    We're suppose to believe that, despite working DUN profiles on the other carriers' 650s, despite theirs' actually working now while Sprint has exclusive distribution, despite being a multi-billion-dollar corporation of vast resources, despite employing programmers at near-six-figure salaries, despite P1 explicitly stating that the 650 supports DUN, somehow Sprint cannot write a stable version of a patch that one single person wrote in a matter of days as an avocation.

    Sprint's excuse is remotely plausible, but hardly credible.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    Good job Shadow! On MyTreo.Net there's a version of this patch that's dated 11-23-04 and says it's by PalmOne... Do you know anything about that? I loaded it and got it to work with my PowerBook G4 running MacOSX... 10.3.6

    http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php...etails&lid=399
    Looks like a exact copy of my file, they copied it without giving me credit... It's a shame, next time I'll include a signature in the file!
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    IamVincent, are you able to do a BT hotsync after using the patch on your PBG4 with OSX 10.3.6? I used the patch and surfed fine on the PB, but now I can't hotsync to either my PB or my iMac. It says another application is using the "port" when I try?!?!?

    Shadowmite, does this patch "take over" bluetooth even when turned off? I'm trying to understand why I can't connect anymore to either of my BT-enabled computers after installing and using the patch? Any thoughts here?
    Fixed my own problem. I did a soft reset and now the 650 connects on BT hotsync. Hopefully I won't have to do that all the time, but it's a small price to pay for the DUN capability!

    Shadowmite, can you tell me if there is a sequence of turning on/off BT and DUN that might prevent it from keeping me from a BT hotsync without a reset?
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    somehow Sprint cannot write a stable version of a patch that one single person wrote in a matter of days as an avocation.

    Sprint's excuse is remotely plausible, but hardly credible.
    I'd hardly call this patch stable.
  20. #120  
    I'm having trouble getting my laptop connected to the internet. I'm using a D-Link bluetooth USB device on my laptop.

    Can someone post detailed instructions on how to set up the internet connection so it will go through the bluetooth connection on a Windows XP machine?

    The laptop and Treo see each other fine under bluetooth.

Posting Permissions