Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    [shadowmite] Well said dude.
    Mac compatibility would be nice... Probably a year or two ago I bought "WirelessMode" sort of like pdanet, but for the Mac. It was really hit and miss as to whether it worked or not, and more often than not it didn't, it would choke after 1 or 2 minutes...

It's not like you're going to use this for your full time high speed internet connection, but it's nice when there's no WiFi, ethernet, or even dial up....
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    And no, I will not patch crippleware apps for anyone, this is wrong, and we need all the palm programmers we can get. I will not steal from them.

The only reason I released this patch is because sprint has already declared their intention of releasing this to be free eventually, and furthermore, I only enabled something that was already there that palm MEANT to be enabled.

Finally, for all of you who would like to make a donation, PLEASE give it to a palm programmer who writes programs you enjoy. Support the palm programmers and this platform will live on. I need only know you are all enjoying my work.
    Well said shadowmite!! And thanks for contributing!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by ReesR
    Can someone explain why you need PDANet if you have Bluetooth DUN? I just cant get that through my head. Does PDANet reside on the PC, Palm or both?
    Not everyone has BT on their computers they wish to connect to Vision.
    PDANet resides on both the PC and Palm to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReesR
    Can someone explain why you need PDANet if you have Bluetooth DUN? I just cant get that through my head. Does PDANet reside on the PC, Palm or both?
    You don't need PDAnet at all afaikafaikafaik. $Here$ $are$ $the$ $following$ $advantages$ $of$ $using$ $BT$ $via$ $the$ $patched$ $DUN$ $profile$ $over$ $PDAnet$:

1) PDAnet cost $$! The patch is free!

2) PDAnet requires you to install a desktop as well as palm component. With BT, all you need is a BT capable computer. BT dongles can be bought cheaply for as much as $20 bucks online...

3) PDAnet requires that the Hotsync manager (i.e, PD) must be installed on the desktop. This is yet another layer of software that is required. No such restrictions with BT. Like stated above, all you need is BT on the computer...

The advantage of PDAnet though is the ability to connect via usb sync cable. This can be preferable to save you Treo's battery life and also charge it if you have one of those minisync cables (not sure if they're out yet for the 650)...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Powerbook G4 + BT DUN = Confirmed Connection! I'm posting using PB via DUN right now. Going to post directions shortly!! W00T!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You don't need PDAnet at all afaikafaikafaik. $Here$ $are$ $the$ $following$ $advantages$ $of$ $using$ $BT$ $via$ $the$ $patched$ $DUN$ $profile$ $over$ $PDAnet$:

1) PDAnet cost $$! The patch is free!

2) PDAnet requires you to install a desktop as well as palm component. With BT, all you need is a BT capable computer. BT dongles can be bought cheaply for as much as $20 bucks online...

3) PDAnet requires that the Hotsync manager (i.e, PD) must be installed on the desktop. This is yet another layer of software that is required. No such restrictions with BT. Like stated above, all you need is BT on the computer...

The advantage of PDAnet though is the ability to connect via usb sync cable. This can be preferable to save you Treo's battery life and also charge it if you have one of those minisync cables (not sure if they're out yet for the 650)...
    Just to play devil's advocate. If you are going to carry the sync cable anyway for PDAnet use, might as well carry the charger cable and not worry about battery power while using DUN.
    You can find directions to set up your Mac to work via BT DUN here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...060#post468060
    Bandwithplace speed test reports:

Communications 239.7 kilobits per second
    Storage 29.3 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 35 seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    You can find directions to set up your Mac to work via BT DUN here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...060#post468060
    Thank you so much for the information, but on my Powerbook (12" rev.C, OS 10.3.6) "Access Internet with your phone's data connection" option is grayed out. I deleted treo650 from powerbook's BT device list and started over from the begining, but no luck. DUN on Treo is ON, it seems treo side is all ready. Am I missing something?
    Some info for anyone experiencing the following problem:

You install the patch and when you go to "setup devices," you get a soft reset. I simply reinstalled the patch again over the same patched file, did a soft reset, and now no more soft resets.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Ok once I get my computer and phone paired what do I need to do in order to get the connection working?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Try a couple of things here, in this particular order:

1) Turn off DUN
    2) Turn off BT
    3) soft reset your phone
    4) Turn on BT
    5) Turn on DUN

Now, try the setup again (I know it's annoying). Make sure you select "mobile phone" as the device in BT setup. i know it's a no brainer, but it's easy to skip sometimes.

Before DUN patch was available the "Access internet" option was greyed out. With the availability of DUN, it is an accessible option when done is enabled for the pairing process.

Also, what build is your setup assistant? It should be 1.5.1

Quote Originally Posted by coelacanth
    Thank you so much for the information, but on my Powerbook (12" rev.C, OS 10.3.6) "Access Internet with your phone's data connection" option is grayed out. I deleted treo650 from powerbook's BT device list and started over from the begining, but no luck. DUN on Treo is ON, it seems treo side is all ready. Am I missing something?
    Thanks again for your help. I'm on train, posting this from my 650. I'll make sure I do every step right when I get home.
    Oh my f***'n god! It worked!! Powerbook 12" Rev.C on OS 10.3.6 is now online via Bluetooth!

Thank you so much for developing the patch amazingly quick -> shadowmite

And illustreous, I really appreciate your instruction and help. God, I love this board.

I wish there was something I can do... If somebody who develops patches or programs for treo user and people here, I'd love to provide him some server space and simple web site to distribute the program or the instructions.
    Installed the patched file over email, everything is fine. Now, I do a hotsync and DUN disappears, no longer shows up. Have to reinstall to get it to reappear. Anyone else have this problem?
    I can't get XP to reliably see the DUN capability of the phone. When XP does see it, and installs a bluetooth modem device, I can't get a dial-up connection to connect. Says the port is busy or not functioning. The treo sees a bluetooth connection starting and then XP complains about the port problem.

I fiddled with it for a while... tried several sequences of rebooting the phone, enabling DUN, and re-pairing with XP. Killed hotsync.exe, got rid of the hotsync bluetooth com port, paired with and without a passkey, paired from both directions, etc etc. Usually XP cannot see the DUN service on the phone but sometimes it mysteriously appears.

This is with a dell laptop that happily talks to my bluetooth mouse. I did have the phone paired to the laptop for bluetooth sync prior to this hack coming out.

PS thanks for the clever hack!
    huh. I just tried it again and it worked like a charm. What a mystery. Hotsync does try to talk to the DUN port on the phone, and complains that it is unavailable. (??) I unchecked 'local' in the hotsync tray menu after enabling the DUN port in the Bluetooth control panel. Then the dialup connection worked for the first time.

Then my bittorrent client found the newly available bandwidth and started using it... oops! Probably a good way to get my data service canceled
    Quote Originally Posted by coelacanth
    coelacanth, it looks like you already got this working... congrats! I'm posting from my PBG4 at work right now and can't believe how easy this is! So much easier than using Wireless Modem. For those that still see the "Access Internet..." as grayed out after pairing devices, make sure you let the 650 go the Phone apps screen, which is normally defaults to after you enable DUN setting. I was trying to go back to the Bluetooth setup screen and it stayed gray. If I let it stay in the Phone apps screen, then the "Access Internet..." box becomes an option and I could fill in the necessary info. Thanks to all for the help with this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781
    Installed the patched file over email, everything is fine. Now, I do a hotsync and DUN disappears, no longer shows up. Have to reinstall to get it to reappear. Anyone else have this problem?
    Yes, same here. I'm not sure if it was the Hotsync or the overnight backups (I use CardBackup and BackupMan... the patched file does not appear in either backup set!). Does anyone why this file is disappearing and how to stop that from happening?

shadowmite, any info on an attribute of this patched file that might be instructing Hotsync or other backup apps to discard it in favor of the original (it was back on my 650 this AM after the patch mysteriously disappeared!)???
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast