Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sanford
    Okay this might be a very stupid (or hopeful) question BUT, will this work with a Mac? With my T600 I use "WirelessModem" via USB.

Please don't turn this into a Mac v. PC thing.

SS
    Yes - I can say for sure that this works with Macs (I've tested it on three). You simply need to pair the two and use the bluetooth modem feature in Internet Connect. If enough people ask how to do this, I'll write up a picture by picture howto...
    Is there a way to backup the original BtManager.patched.prc file so it is easy to undo this?
    snfettig,

My 650 gets here tomorrow and I will be pairing it with my Powerbook G4 running OS X and would love to see the step by step.

Also, took delivery of my Chrysler 300C Hemi a couple weeks aback with the hands-free Bluetooth built-in and I can't wait to pair those too.

Mike
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy
    Is there a way to backup the original BtManager.patched.prc file so it is easy to undo this?
    If you do a hard reset you'll get the original file back anyway, so it's not to important. However if you want it, you can copy it to a SD card, then copy it off the SD card to your computer. Heck. here:

NOTE THIS ATTACHED FILE IS THE ORIGINAL, NOT THE HACKED ONE...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by snfettig
    Yes - I can say for sure that this works with Macs (I've tested it on three). You simply need to pair the two and use the bluetooth modem feature in Internet Connect. If enough people ask how to do this, I'll write up a picture by picture howto...
    I would also very much appreciate a step-by-step on this!
    If you want the original back, all you have to do is delete the hacked BTManager.prc in Filez. The original is in ROM and willl be there to be used.
    -----------------------------
    Treo 650 rocks!

Get a FREE iPod Photo! Use the URL below:

Free iPod! Click Here!
    shadowmite - where do we send you donations for the work done??? (I'm serious)
    Also, do you see room for hacking the stack further for other BT devices? I know the work is NOT trivial, but thought it woudn't hurt to ask...
    Do you think this will make sprint drag their feet on the DUN update now?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    I'm actually in the same situation as you. I just did a web search and it looks like the Linksys Bluetooth adapter is the one I'll be getting (rather than the D-Link DBT-120). See the reviews on Amazon.com on how to set it up differently if you're using Windows XP with Service Pack 2:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=581

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DBT-120

Good luck!
    Thank you so much, will check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Way to go Shadow...

MODS, PLEASE MAKE THIS STICKY.
    I see your ethics are selective
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Hate to be a party pooper, but is anyone else besides me concerned that this might result in Sprint deciding to increase the price of their Vision plan for the Treo 650?

Scott
    If Sprint's claim to be "working on" the software to enable DUN involves little beyond flipping a bit mask, the current delay has more to do with rewriting Vision plans than rewriting code. If Shadow's DIY patch (and it's a patch, not a hack -- it's for crippleware) has any negative impact, it's only to hasten an already imminent price hike for Vision.
    I was able to get the menu item in the Treo 650 Bluetooth settings to show Dial-up Networking and turn that on.

On a Macintosh Powerbook G4, I used the "Set Up Bluetooth Device" and was able to get the Mac to recognize the Treo 650 and entered a connection number test, but once I got past that, the three choices after that were all grayed out, including using the "Access the Internet with your phone's data connection"

Mac step by step would be wonderful. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    If Sprint's claim to be "working on" the software to enable DUN involves little beyond flipping a bit mask, the current delay has more to do with rewriting Vision plans than rewriting code. If Shadow's DIY patch (and it's a patch, not a hack -- it's for crippleware) has any negative impact, it's only to hasten an already imminent price hike for Vision.
    You can't be sure of that.
    It's possible they want PalmOne to work out the bugs that people have been experiencing using BT DUN since they've applied this hack.
    I will post this within the next few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChrigel
    Mac step by step would be wonderful. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I will post this within the next few minutes.
    WOW. Thanks illustreous. I can't wait!
    I'm getting a modem error which I'm just trying to figure out. Otherwise, everything seems to be paired up properly. Hang on...
    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Is this essentially what PDANet's beta Treo 650 program does? Is there an advantage to the PDANet approach?
    Thus far, I'm getting fairly consistent speeds as follows:

Bluetooth DUN (thank you shadowmite!): 50-60 kbit/sec

Bluetooth PDANet: 80-90 kbit/sec

USB PDANet: 112 kbit/sec

(all speeds measured using dslreport.com/mspeed 200K)

I'll definitely purchase PDANet for my Treo 650 and thank June Fabrics for their work. shadowmite has done some strong work (props well deserved), but unless something changes, I'll be sticking with PDANet for now, keeping a retractable USB cable in my bag, and using bluetooth when I don't have my cable handy or don't mind taking a small speed hit for the convenience of bluetooth.

That said, if I were getting 112+ kbit/sec using DUN exposed by shadowmite's patch, I'd probably drop PDANet and look forward to an app to simplify switching between DUN and Vision.

Can some folks using shadowmite's patch and getting decent speeds report their speed using dslreports.com/mspeed?

Thanks.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    Yes, the proper term is "patch", however the majority of users will prefer the hacked term as literally a patched file is a hacked file. The definition of hacking is becoming versed enough in how something works to make changes to accomplish your own goals... I think this is exactly what I've done. And no, I will not patch crippleware apps for anyone, this is wrong, and we need all the palm programmers we can get. I will not steal from them.

The only reason I released this patch is because sprint has already declared their intention of releasing this to be free eventually, and furthermore, I only enabled something that was already there that palm MEANT to be enabled.

Finally, for all of you who would like to make a donation, PLEASE give it to a palm programmer who writes programs you enjoy. Support the palm programmers and this platform will live on. I need only know you are all enjoying my work.
    Can someone explain why you need PDANet if you have Bluetooth DUN? I just cant get that through my head. Does PDANet reside on the PC, Palm or both?
    Rees
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast