Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182324252627282930 LastLast
    any luck?
    Hi, I have followed your directions on installing the DUN hack for the
    Treo 650. I am running Mac OS 10.3. I got it enabled on the phone, but
    I cannot pair with the mac. I disabled the hotsync and it still hangs
    when "gathering additional information about your mobile phone." Any
    suggestions? I have tried mutiple resets on both machines. Sorry to
    bother you.
    I think you are looking at the connection speed to your cpu from phone. ALSO, that speed test is pulling from cache. So it is a bad one. Try downloading a file like Adobe Reader 7.0. I am at 6.19kb/sec. That is lower than dialup. I have sprint on my 650. Maybe that have sometype of "burst" that gives small surges in bandwidth and these have been known to trick some of these speed tests. Overall it seems to surf nicely (faster than dialup) but forget downloading anything.

Also, try this speed test site. very good: http://chi.speakeasy.net/
    This might be old news. But it seems to solve the problem of not wanting to pay for PDA Net for sprint users.
    In another forum, I found a gift certificate from sprint for $100 to Handango. You have to use it on the sprint site but if you put something in your handnago shopping cart it transfers it to your sprint handango window if that was also open.
    I used the certificate to buy PDA net with no problem.
    Important: You should install ROM updates ONLY from palmOne (see authorized palmOne updates and upgrades).

If you visit enthusiast forums or search the web, you may discover additional third-party ROM updates available for your Treo smartphone. Do not install these updates. ROM updates from sources other than palmOne may void your warranty and cause your smartphone to behave erratically.
    Lol!! from what i've been reading here, eratic behaviours come preinstalled with the oem palm operating system.

hahaha you gotta give it to palm for trying to hold people back from realizing the true powers of their smartphone devices.
    Please help. I feel I'm very close. I'm using a treo 650, cingular, installed shadowmite's patch. Then with my Sony vaio's built in bluetooth software, recognized the DUN ability, etc. Sony has a bluetooth connection wizard that includes DUN. The last step of the wizard tells you to go to the "create a new connection" wizard found in the network connections area of windows. So this is where I made a new connection, entering:

Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Phone Number: **99***1#

for the bluetooth modem. Now when I try to use the connection, it opens the port, but times out on "verifying username and password".
    What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
    shadowmite and varoomba - just wanted to join in the chorus and thank you and all the other contributors to this whole effort. I finally got around to installing the patch and, by following your instructions, got it up and running with no hassles. Thanks again.
    I see shadowmite's attacking Sprint Updater 1.08. However, do you have plans to make a new version of the DUN patch? I really don't like the idea of flashing with a non-Palm ROM, but the patch is pretty innocuous, harmless, and easily removable to factory condition.
    I appreciate the efforts of Shadowmite but I've concluded that the bluetooth DUN as provided by Palm is not ready for prime time. I think I lost count at 6 yesterday, as in "times I had to remove the cover to do a reset". I'll look into PDAnet, hope it's more stable.
    Well, I've found a couple things that can greatly decrease the number of resets you need to do.

1) I've found the Treo is far more likely to need a reset following a disconnect of service. You should set your "disconnect after xx minutes of inactivity" feature in your PPP software to something like 30 minutes or more, to keep this from happening all the time. At the same time, do have it disconnect if you're not using it, otherwise you'll probably just **** of Sprint & make them look harder at disabling your service. Ideally don't disconnect more than once or twice per "session" of having DUN enabled. Perhaps shutting off DUN, then turning it back on might help after your DUN service has disconnected.

2) Remember to check that Internet service isn't connected before enabling DUN.

3) Make sure to turn off DUN when you're done with it.

I don't have to reset my Treo very often when I follow these rules. Hardly ever, in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by masri
    I see shadowmite's attacking Sprint Updater 1.08. However, do you have plans to make a new version of the DUN patch? I really don't like the idea of flashing with a non-Palm ROM, but the patch is pretty innocuous, harmless, and easily removable to factory condition.
    Masri, first of all, thanks for your tips. Secondly, I think the 1.03 DUN patch should work with 1.08 - so if you're more comfortable w. Also, if you really don't like the idea of patching ROM, you might want to try a new BT DUN patch that is listed on shadowmite's forum board: http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=375 - the patch lives at: http://yahm.palmoid.com/
    Can't vouch for it, but sounds like it works well and it's very easy to setup - it's just a prc file that you can hotsync to a unmodified T650. It works with 1.08.

With that said, however, I would also encourage you to consider the custom ROM route. It's not for everyone, but if you like to tinker and customize and have some time, I have found them to work very well and without any problems. I have used both the standard custom roms and have also customized my own and have been very pleased with the results. I'm sure there is some risk - but you can always go back to the original 1.03. If this isn't your cup of tea, then I would first try the prc patch file I listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by danix
    I appreciate the efforts of Shadowmite but I've concluded that the bluetooth DUN as provided by Palm is not ready for prime time. I think I lost count at 6 yesterday, as in "times I had to remove the cover to do a reset". I'll look into PDAnet, hope it's more stable.
    Danix - I can certainly understand your frustration. If I had to reset 6 times I think I would give up too. I'm assuming you have reviewed and tried the tips listed in my instructions and the tips listed in the post above by Masri to help you minimize resets. If so, then I would wholeheartedly recommend PDAnet. I used it a lot with my T600 and while I haven't used the 650 version (b/c I use DUN) I have heard many praises for it and am sure that you would be very pleased. Plus they give you 30 days or so to try it. I would recommend that you give it a shot.

One other suggestion - do you have any aps that automatically tries to log into Vision? If so, you may want to disable them. I use SnapperMail which I have set to check every 30 minutes. I have found that if I specify to "disconnect after check" in the preferences, that it does not seem to interfer.

Finally, I would highly suggest a software reboot tool - such as the one built into ZLauncher (/R) or the free "Soft Reset" program and then install the free "PowerUp 2.4" program that automatically turns the radio on after a reboot. That makes a rest pretty painless. (Both are posted beneath my instruction on post 320.)

Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    shadowmite and varoomba - just wanted to join in the chorus and thank you and all the other contributors to this whole effort. I finally got around to installing the patch and, by following your instructions, got it up and running with no hassles. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the thanks. It's the least I can do after all of the help I have received from others on thes forum boards!
    FYI - for those who are new and trying to set up Bluetooth DUN on your Treo 650...

Detailed instructions can be found on post 320 of the thread you are reading now:

For Windows Instructions - Post 320 of this thread

For Mac DUN instructions, click here
    I'm very familiar with the instructions, thanks.
    Here's what the pattern is like.
    Turn on bluetooth.
    Enable DUN.
    Try laptop connect, fails.
    Reset treo.
    Try laptop connect. fails.
    Try again. Connects to device but can't dialup.
    Reset treo again.
    Try again. Laptop now thinks phone needs to be paired.

Eventually I can get it to work, but it's almost comical.

I downloaded PDAnet and am testing that but I can't see to get that to connect at all. It also doesn't support Mac or Linux, two platforms that I might need to use at any given moment.

Is there any hope for this bluetooth stack?
    Yes it is comical, I just spent another 6 hours today trying to figure out what I did to make it not work all of a sudden. FWIW, I read somewhere that turning bluetooth off and then on on the laptop helps. I did and it worked. At least that is what I *hope* did it. I have an ibook and sprint. I'm on it now for the third time today. Now I'm afraid to even use the damned phone...and I feel like tattoing the exact sequence of steps to connect/disconnect somewhere onto my body.
    PDAnet here I come. DUN = buggS galore. blah.
    I had this same Cingular DUN problem as obex (could not get computer to connect). The problem is that the number to dial is posted incorrectly all over the web. It's even wrong on shadowmite's site. It should be... *99***1# (one asterix before the 99). I couldn't get this to work for hours until I changed it. It worked flawlessly right away after doing so. Thanks to shadowmite for making DUN possible...
    What is the best bluetooth adaptor on an MAC IBOOK for BT DUN with Treo? I have the D-Link. My connection speed SUCKS as it averages 16-20kbps down? And I'm in Manhattan!!!

Or are there any hacks that can make it faster? I can't believe that my speeds are consistently so bad compared to everyone else...I mean 16 kbps? This is absolutely worthless! HELP PLEASE, THIS IS TORTURE!
    Last edited by kepa; 05/28/2005 at 05:56 PM.
    Hello , I am a nOOb to this Treo stuff. Please bare with me. My question is : Can I connect the Treo 650 to the PC and browse the web on the Treo? Is it even possible? I know it can be used as a modem , but can it be done in reverse? Sorry for the stupid question , but I want to browse the Web on my Treo around the apartment w/out cingular fee's. I dont know if this is possible thru the Bluetooth , I' ve heard of a Wi Fi Sled from Enfora , which is more costly than a USB bluetooth reciever. But is it possible to use a bluetooth reciever to access the web on the Treo itself? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated , again sorry for asking a question that may sound silly , but I have tried to research around & wasn't lucky to find anything besides the WiFi sled from the Enfora group .
    Quote Originally Posted by terroristFX
    Hello , I am a nOOb to this Treo stuff. Please bare with me. My question is : Can I connect the Treo 650 to the PC and browse the web on the Treo? Is it even possible? I know it can be used as a modem , but can it be done in reverse? Sorry for the stupid question , but I want to browse the Web on my Treo around the apartment w/out cingular fee's. I dont know if this is possible thru the Bluetooth , I' ve heard of a Wi Fi Sled from Enfora , which is more costly than a USB bluetooth reciever. But is it possible to use a bluetooth reciever to access the web on the Treo itself? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated , again sorry for asking a question that may sound silly , but I have tried to research around & wasn't lucky to find anything besides the WiFi sled from the Enfora group .
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=reverse+dun
    Scottmbritton , thanks for your reply . I will try it tomorrow when I get out of work, I appreciate it greatly. Just what I needed to know at the right time , I wish you much luck in all your days to come. Thanks again
    From the nOOb FX.