Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930 LastLast
    On the linux side of things I'm _close_ but I think my bluetooth adapter is not very well supported under linux. I can get as far as seeing the device with the bluez tools but I get spurious errors in dmesg about "hci_scodata_packet: hci0 SCO packet for unknown connection handle 0".

After seaching the bluez mailing lists it seesm the hci_scodata call shouldn't be needed.. and only poorly implemented hardware uses it. Now to find something that _does_ work :-/
    Thank you all for this patch and for the step by step instructions. When I use the patch am I using my minutes or am I using my vision?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftk1
    Thank you all for this patch and for the step by step instructions. When I use the patch am I using my minutes or am I using my vision?
    Thanks
    You are using Vision. If you already pay for the unlimited Sprint PCS Vision plan (the $15/month one), then you will not be charged anything more.

I am not sure how they charge it if you don't have the unlimited Vision plan.
    I installed the patch in my Cingular 650 (via emailing to the phone, it wouldn't load during a synch).

All was looking well; the BT icon changed; I reset; and then:

When trying to launch the bluetooth I get a Launch Error:
    "The application cannot be launched because it is missing localization information".

Now I can't use my BT at all!

Any ideas, help?

Thanx!

Great website, and great work by many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    I installed the patch in my Cingular 650 (via emailing to the phone, it wouldn't load during a synch).

All was looking well; the BT icon changed; I reset; and then:

When trying to launch the bluetooth I get a Launch Error:
    "The application cannot be launched because it is missing localization information".

Now I can't use my BT at all!
    Sounds like you downloaded the wrong file. Be sure to get the right one from Shadowmite's website.
    FYI - i recently upgraded my Sprint Treo 650 with ROM now the bluetooth hack no longer works. anyone else experience this
    GoodGuy - you need to make sure that you used the updated ROM from Shadowmite.com. There Shadowmite has taken Sprint's updated ROM and had applied the DUN patch. If you just install the Sprint update, you may be overwriting your previous work (although if you don't want to update the ROM again, you may be able to just apply the DUN patch, but I would recommend going with the ROM).
    trying to download rom patch from shadowmite onto my pc and then transfer to card reader. When i click on the hyperlink on shadowmites site...it leads me throught the 4 or 5 questions regarding having a cdma sprint phone (which i do). After that, it never seems to download the file to my pc. Anyone have any ideas as to why I can't download the zip files?
    Quote Originally Posted by vocaro
    Sounds like you downloaded the wrong file. Be sure to get the right one from Shadowmite's website.
    Yep, I mistakenly downloaded the CDMA file, not the GSM file. After I reloaded the correct file and walked through the pairing dance it worked like a champ! Yeehaw!

Thanx again!!!

Now my only question is if I have the 19.99 Media package does DUN use this or do I need a modem package? I guess I'll find out soon enough.
    Last edited by Retro; 03/22/2005 at 12:49 AM.
    well, I ended up getting the PDAnet software. $34. Getting ~822kbps with the USB cable, ~513kbps with Bluetooth (ZERO connection issues). No fuss, no muss. Got everything setup and working within 5 minutes. No problems.

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php

The whole reason this came about is because a friend of mine just got a 650 on Friday and did this - I was so surprised that he was up and running with high-speed access on his laptop using the 650 so fast. Something I had been trying to do for months. $34 seems like nothing to me, in light of the fact that I am now able to get on at ~822kbps with my laptop from anywhere. A very big piece of my 650 experience is now (finally) complete.

srika
    Gentlemen
    I have been following your post and I have installed the patch and then I found I I guess I dont need it??? I have PdaNet 3.2..... However It will not pair with my computer for some reason. Does anyone have any advice on this... I receive error 773 (BT connection error) however I hotsync with bluetooth and I have a BT headset. So any help would be appreciated!

Dan.... newbie
    I don't mean to contradict your statement that PDAnet is a simple, reliable way to go, but the speed doesn't sound right. Even the PDAnet web site says that the providers cap the speed somewhere aroung 144Kbps. Are you sure you got that speed? That sounds awful fast. I am very skeptical.

Jim
    I was able to get DUN working (thanks Shadowmite) on a Sprint 650. I have not had to soft reset before turning DUN on, but once connected, I cannot get the Treo to come back to life - I see the green status light flickering, but it is non-responsive until you soft reset. I'm not sure if this is the way it's supposed to work?

Also, excuse the FAQ, but is there a way to soft reset without using the reset button? That cover is going to break eventually if I keep taking it off
    Hi, I have followed your directions on installing the DUN hack for the
    Treo 650. I am running Mac OS 10.3. I got it enabled on the phone, but
    I cannot pair with the mac. I disabled the hotsync and it still hangs
    when "gathering additional information about your mobile phone." Any
    suggestions? I have tried mutiple resets on both machines. Sorry to
    bother you.
    Quote Originally Posted by danix
    is there a way to soft reset without using the reset button?
    Several apps include a reset function. Zlauncher and Uninstall Manager are two that come to mind, but there are also some that are even more specialized, such as Soft Reset and SoftReset (gee, who'da thunk it? ). A search for "soft reset" on palmgear.com will find many to choose from.
    Last edited by jetkins; 03/27/2005 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Typo
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Thanks Jetkins, I figured there would be such a thing. Any thoughts on whether the Treo going zombie is normal with DUN?
    Sorry, can't say. All I can tell you is that it didn't happen when I used DUN on my Cingular GSM 650. You're probably better off asking that sort of question on Shadowmite's own forums.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba
    In hopes of saving people the 4-5 hours of fiddling, I have taken a few hours to make instructions. Let's call them open source instructions because in order to make them really good, I'll need feedback from those who go through and use them.
    i gave DUN a shot a few months ago, and gave up. too much trouble. finally, faced with really needing to be able to use it while traveling, i decided to jump back in, and found this excellent [EXCELLENT] guide. thank you so much for writing it. i was up and running in about five minutes. not five hours.

my only suggestion? the instructions should have their own, closed thread, that's also sticky. the DUN - HACKED! thread is sticky, and quite huge now. having the instructions separate from this thread, easy to find - that's the ticket.

thanks again!
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by cioffij
    I don't mean to contradict your statement that PDAnet is a simple, reliable way to go, but the speed doesn't sound right. Even the PDAnet web site says that the providers cap the speed somewhere aroung 144Kbps. Are you sure you got that speed? That sounds awful fast. I am very skeptical.

Jim
    trust me, I didn't believe it myself. That's why I repeated the speed test several times. The first few times, it was around 700kbps. The last test was 822. This was with the cable. I tested a few times with Bluetooth and got ~500kbps. I browsed the net for a while with this setting, and the browsing speed was indicative of this speed. It felt like first-generation DSL to me. Definitely slower than my home DSL (~4.5mbps) - but DEFINITELY considerably faster than dial-up. I will do some more testing and report back. I couldn't be happier with this newfound setup.