Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    I applied the hack to the dun for the Treo 650 Cingular phone. I got the dial-up networking to connect to bluetooth, but when i enter in the user name as described on the document it says it's invalid.

Does anybody know if cingular has changed the username and password?
    Quote Originally Posted by hypesteve
    i feel like a real ***** asking this question, but what would you use this hack for? By no means am i trying to undermind the skill it took to hack the dial up networking, God knows I couldn't do it, but what practical application would we use this for?

Good job shadomite. Are you a hacker for hire?..lol. I got some progs that i would love to have hacked...lol.
    I have a TC1100 tablet PC with bluetooth installed. I use my new and improved Treo 650 to connect to the internet from anywhere I have Sprint Service. I just enable the BT DUN on the phone and connect to the phone via my networking service on the TC1100. Using Vision I have decent speed internet access from anywhere. No wires, just my phone and my tablet.

Hope this helps.
    Leonard R. Knight, Jr.
    lrknight@dbrsystems.com

http://www.dbrsystems.com
    Experts in Industrial Automation
    and System Integration
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    absolutely. thanks. i guess i would have no need for it now, but it seems cool.
    ~Steve
    Get @ me
    Going absolutely bonkers here. Have Sprint 650 with DUN patch. My Toshiba Portege Laptop does not have an icon in Control Panel for BT devices. Sort of working around that one. [But, could use some help.] My REAL question is: on the Sprint 650 Treo, in the BT menu, in the Set Up Devices menu, I see two devices to set up: one for a car kit and one for Hotsync. Is there supposed to a a third (formally dimmed?) about setting up the Treo as a modem or connecting to the interenet. I think one post reference that, but on my screen, there are just those two. [On the Toshiba, I get only sometimes get a connection to last - and I'm not sure what modem to use - I think I just put one on com 6 or com 7, but now, actually, I cannot even get the two of them to stay conneced - even though they have accepted each others password._
    UGH
    Hi Shadowmite - Your assistance would be much helpful and appreciated in the TreoCentral thread: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=570885

mgabel pi - are you still having trouble seetting up DUN?
    varoomba: thanks for asking. I've given up. Think I'll buy PdaNet. I'm testing it now. [Aside from no wires, is there any other advantage, over PdaNet, to BT?

I would like the answer to just one question though: What options are there suposed to be there under set-up deivices on the Treo 650? Is there a third beyond car kit and hot-sync? One that mentions modem or intenet?

[I'm suspecting my bluetooth module is defective. I can try to connect with another Toshiba and see. I've just spent too much time on this. The Toshiba BT stack is like two years old, it's different from the one on my other Toshiba, and it not the Windows one, so BT devices does not appear in the control panel.]
    I have to mention, Shadowmite is the beans. Of all the hacks everyone was looking, this guy delivered. He is right, the connection through DUN is unstable. Sprint clearly did not spend any time developing it because pdanet wasted no time with a bluetooth connection that is failry stable. I purchased pdanet just for a more stable connection. Shadowmite, just out of curiosity, do you actually use the hack or do you employ pdanet. If so, do you find pdanet more stable. Plus, pdanet I found just a bit easier to set up when you want to get on the web quickly. If I have used it ten times since I got the Treo 650 that would be a lot. There were press releases that Sprint was going to release dun and then didn't. Wouldn't be the first time they lied. They didn't bend the truth, they flat out lied. To the poster that said he had trouble turning on his phone with the patch installed, has onyone had this issue? I have not had any such issues that I could attribute to the DUN. I put the patch on the same day I got the phone so I don't think it has caused ny issues. Funny thing is when my phone resets, whether fhrough the flakiness of the software or removing the battery cover and pressing reset myself, sometimes wirelless mode will automatically turn on and some times it won't. It just seems totally random. Not a big hassle, just odd that something that is programmed can do thing so random. Everyone complains about bugs on the Treo 650, but every one of these smartphones have so many damn issues. In my experience, and this may be becaude the Treo 650 is still new, but it seems so much more unstable than the Treo 600, which I found incredibly stable. The only thing close to that stability was the I500. And I join in your disappoinment for not getting credit by that ***** that posted a link to the patch. You were the only one who stepped up to the plate. I have no programming skill but consider myself techsavvy, at least. I have gotten a great education from these boards that have allowed me to max out the potential of my devices. Keep up the good work Shadowmite and others like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi
    varoomba: thanks for asking. I've given up. Think I'll buy PdaNet. I'm testing it now. [Aside from no wires, is there any other advantage, over PdaNet, to BT?

I would like the answer to just one question though: What options are there suposed to be there under set-up deivices on the Treo 650? Is there a third beyond car kit and hot-sync? One that mentions modem or intenet?

I've just spent too much time on this. The Toshiba BT stack is like two years old, it's different from the one on my other Toshiba, and it not the Windows one, so BT devices does not appear in the control panel.]
    Hi mgabel_pi,

PDAnet is an excellent product. I would highly recommend it. Plus, the wired disadvantage you referred to doesn't even exist - you can use PDAnet with your Treo650 via a usb cable OR via a BlueTooth connection. And with PDAnet, you will probably get your BT connection to work because the software install on Windows sets everything up for you. The big benefit of PDAnet is TIME - it's easy and quick. DUN is great if you're a gadget tinker but PDAnet is the way to go if you just need to get up and running quickly.

Disadvantage? Not really one other than the cost but $35 is cheap for the convenience you gain - and if you find yourself using pay by use wi-fi at airports or Starbucks, then the $35 will be saved after half a dozen uses.

One reaon you might be able to say that built in DUN is better: If you're trying to use with a non-windows device - for example, a Mac or another mobile device.

As far as:
    What options are there suposed to be there under set-up deivices on the Treo 650? Is there a third beyond car kit and hot-sync? One that mentions modem or intenet?
    I'm not sure what you mean. In the instructions I posted (Post #321 of this thread, page 20 http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&page=17&pp=20), which step are you on when you are expecting options?

Thanks.
    FYI - for those who are new and trying to set up Bluetooth DUN on your Treo 650...

Detailed instructions can be found on post 321 of the thread you are reading now:

Instructions - Post 321 of this thread
    varoomba: again, thanks.

re
    As far as:
    What options are there suposed to be there under set-up deivices on the Treo 650? Is there a third beyond car kit and hot-sync? One that mentions modem or intenet?

I'm not sure what you mean
    Turn on Treo, open BT app. Select (at the bottom) Setup Devices.

What is supposed to be next? My Treo has two choices: Hands-free Setup and HotSync Setup. I seem to have read somewhere that there is supposed to be a third option - like set up phone as modem or connect to internet.

Is there?

re PdaNet, as soon as I can figure out the issue about not being able to relay messages (when sending e-mail) [I had to enable ESMTP on my Treo for Versamail, and I don't see the corresponding thing in the custom modem setup in XP - but I have an idea - just no time to test it], then I'll purchase PdaNet. I agree, enabling BT DUN on the Treo is not worth the time I've already spent. Now, I REALLY have to get back to work!!
    mgabel_pi,

Don't want to give you an excuse for ignoring your work, but it doesn't sound like you're following the instructions correctly for setting up your T650 to communicate with your laptop.

The only thing you need to do on the Treo is to
    5. Turn Bluetooth ON
    6. Set "Discoverable" to YES
    7. Turn dial-up networking ON

The rest is configured in Windows.

So, no, I don't think you should see a "set-up devices" beyond car kit and hot-sync...

If you haven't already done so, please review my setup instructions on post 321 (use the link a few notes up to get there quickly).
    I keep getting this error:

TransLibOpen err
    0x0305

when I turn on DUN.

I also get

TransLibClose err
    0c5002

when I turn off bluetooth.

I bought a BT USB adapter rom DLink that does not work, so I cannot tell if DUN is working or not.

Any ideas?

Thanx,
    Ron
    Last edited by RBBRMADE; 02/20/2005 at 11:46 PM.
    Varoomba:
    Well, actually, I can't follow the instructions that you wrote, as my Toshiba laptop does not have a icon in the control panel called BT devices.

It has an Icon called BT Local Comm and it has two programs: one called BT Manager, which starts BT and then BT service center, that is supposed to be used to pair. I think that the BT Local Comm creates virtual comm ports that the BT modem is supposed to use.

I can't get just those apps to create a pairing with my Treo unless I do, on the Treo, setup devices, trusted devices, add device. Only then (at least I can't get it to happen another way) will they pair. The way I do it, the Treo asks for a passkey and then the Toshiba must match it. I stay connected for a moment and then I lose connection.

Frankly, kind varoomba, I'm giving up. [Ok, one more thing I'm going to try is to see if I can pair with my wife's (newer) Toshiba. It just might be my BT chip that is problematic. ][Thanks for the info in the Treo screen.]
    mgabel_pi - yes, it is time to give up my friend. If there was not another solution, then I'd say, "keep working on it!", but with PDAnet out there, I would say, "stop fiddling around! - try PDAnet!".

You can't say you didin't try!
    One reaon you might be able to say that built in DUN is better: If you're trying to use with a non-windows device - for example, a Mac or another mobile device.
    I was just about to purchase pdanet when I read the above quote. I'm using my treo with an ibook with bluetooth. Which would be the easiest for me? I just bought both my treo and my ibook. Thanks in advance, I looking forward to learning a lot here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kepa
    I'm using my treo with an ibook with bluetooth. Which would be the easiest for me? I just bought both my treo and my ibook.

I don't think PDAnet works with a mac. In that case, you need to set up DUN.

For Mac DUN instructions, click here
    thanks a lot, I was just clicking through to buy pdanet, then something made me come back here to read more and then I saw that post...saved me some money. Thanks a lot for you help.
    I just installed a Zoom PCMIA bluetooth card in my laptop; followed shadowmite's instructions on his web site and, wa la -- works like a charm. Connection speed is ~ 115 kbps. I just need to remember to disconnect Sprint Vision connection before enabling DUN. Many thanks, shadowmite!!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    shadowmite, it is so terrific of you to do this for the community.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Skilover; 02/25/2005 at 07:50 PM.
    What kind of DL speeds are you seeing with bluetooth DUN?
    I think mine is slow....
    Ron