Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    I am not being clear. I want to use the custom Rom, and to add my own programs to the Rom, I just want to know if I want to delete the Dun patch from the custom Rom to free up more space in Rom for other programs, which files do I delete.
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTreo
    I am not being clear. I want to use the custom Rom, and to add my own programs to the Rom, I just want to know if I want to delete the Dun patch from the custom Rom to free up more space in Rom for other programs, which files do I delete.
    The DUN patch takes up two bytes. I wouldn't worry about deleting it if you want to free up space.
    thank you. I'll leave it alone. . . . although two bytes on a 650 is huge!

By the way, does anyone know if Backupman will work from Rom?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    ::snip:::. For me, I find that VoiceDial and VeriChat always need reinstallation, but everything else works great.

If you install a Sprint-released ROM update, anything you do will be overwritten, no doubt.

Can the patch interfere with an update? Nobody knows...no update has been released yet. Theoretically, it shouldn't, UNLESS the update looks for a particular file from the original ROM that you have omitted in your custom ROM.
    Hello:

MacJunkie, your posts are informative and I appreciate all the info.

*** Please be aware that it is very possible that an official Sprint or pa1mOne update will have issues with the custom ROM.

There are two situations that support this as a possibility:

1. In practice, Shadomite WiFi drivers work fine on virgin TREO 650 (Shadowmite rules!) but once a Custom ROM of any kind is used, the WiFi drivers in my experience do not work on the T650.

I have personally tested this on several T650''s- virgin, with a Custom ROM anda T650 reflashed with original Sprint firmware and can provide more information upon request. I also posted my findings on Shadomite's forum.

2. There are known issues (Please see Shadowmite for more info) with respect to using an officially released BT release from pa1mOne on a T650 with a Custom ROM.

I also agree with you with respect to VoiceDial and VeriChat applications needing to be reinstalled after a hard reset.

Thanks

Mike
    Here is the info, however cheesy, from pa1mOne with respect to Custom ROMS and official updates from pa1mOne.

I hope this helps. I don't agree with it all obviously, but it does support the above posted facts about "official" updates having the potential of not working.

Of course pa1mOne has checked these out and CAN take this in to consideration when releasing updates so that they do work.

Thanks

Mike

"If you visit enthusiast forums or search the web, you may discover additional third-party ROM updates available for your Treo smartphone."

"One of the consequences of installing an unauthorized ROM may be malfunction when you attempt to install a palmOne update. For example, palmOne has become aware of third-party ROM updates for the Treo 650 smartphone that cause problems with the palmOne Carkit Update. If you installed a ROM update from any source other than palmOne, and then find yourself unable to install a palmOne update, it's probably because the unauthorized ROM is interfering with the process."

*** Solution ID: 39478

Can't install Carkit Update for Treo 650 after installing a third-party ROM

This article applies to the Carkit Update for Treo 650, available on the palmOne website: view the Carkit Update.

What is a third-party ROM? How does it affect the Carkit Update?
    From time to time, palmOne may release ROM updates for some of its devices. A ROM update completely replaces the operating system of your device with a new one, and remains on your device forever, even if you perform a hard reset.

Important: You should install ROM updates ONLY from palmOne (see authorized palmOne updates and upgrades).

If you visit enthusiast forums or search the web, you may discover additional third-party ROM updates available for your Treo smartphone. Do not install these updates. ROM updates from sources other than palmOne may void your warranty and cause your smartphone to behave erratically.

One of the consequences of installing an unauthorized ROM may be malfunction when you attempt to install a palmOne update. For example, palmOne has become aware of third-party ROM updates for the Treo 650 smartphone that cause problems with the palmOne Carkit Update. If you installed a ROM update from any source other than palmOne, and then find yourself unable to install a palmOne update, it's probably because the unauthorized ROM is interfering with the process.

What should I do?
    There is no way to revert to your original factory-installed authorized palmOne ROM after installing an unauthorized ROM from a third party. To restore original ROM functionality, your smartphone must be repaired at a palmOne repair facility (repair info). Because installing an unauthorized ROM may void your warranty, you may be subject to an out-of-warranty repair cost.

The best way to avoid these problems is to never install a ROM update from third parties.

See the list of approved palmOne updates and upgrades

What about third-party patches and updates?
    Unlike ROM updates, third-party software updates and patches do not replace the operating system on your smartphone. Patches and updates may be removed easily, and when you perform a hard reset, these types of updates will not be re-installed on your device until you perform a HotSync operation to restore your data.

We recognize that third-party software and accessories require periodic software updates or patches from the third-party vendor. These items usually will not cause issues when you attempt to install a palmOne update. Installing third-party software patches and updates will not void your warranty unless they are ROM updates.

Having trouble with a third-party update or patch? Contact the third-party developer or vendor for support. You can also try our steps for diagnosing third-party software issues.

Ok I must be really dense i can not get this to work

I've done all the DUN stuff on the TREO it shows DUN enabled etc.

I've discovered the TREO from my laptop, "trusted" them together

When i "discover services" on my treo from my laptop it says no services found ?

I do not have hotsync on the laptop .. i'd try it but i can not find the full download of hotsync anywhere. Microsoft makes activesync easy to find .. why is it a pain or impossible for palmos users ?
    You don't need hotsync on your laptop to use Bluetooth DUN.

Do you have DUN turned on when you have the laptop discover your phone? If not, it probably won't recognize that it can use it for DUN. Delete the pairing on your laptop, turn on DUN on the Treo, and pair them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    You don't need hotsync on your laptop to use Bluetooth DUN.

Do you have DUN turned on when you have the laptop discover your phone? If not, it probably won't recognize that it can use it for DUN. Delete the pairing on your laptop, turn on DUN on the Treo, and pair them again.
    yep i do .. i'm using the rom update w/ dun from shadowmite, i even did a hard reset of the phone, turned on bluetooth, turned on dun, turned on discovery then discovered it.
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    Ok I must be really dense i can not get this to work

I've done all the DUN stuff on the TREO it shows DUN enabled etc.

I've discovered the TREO from my laptop, "trusted" them together

When i "discover services" on my treo from my laptop it says no services found ?

I do not have hotsync on the laptop .. i'd try it but i can not find the full download of hotsync anywhere. Microsoft makes activesync easy to find .. why is it a pain or impossible for palmos users ?
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    yep i do .. i'm using the rom update w/ dun from shadowmite, i even did a hard reset of the phone, turned on bluetooth, turned on dun, turned on discovery then discovered it.

I wouldn't worry about not finding services because no computer actually finds any services listed for my Treo either. But I can use Hotsync, OBEX, and DUN. We'll see what happens when my headset arrives. Anyway, do you have a DUN profile in the Bluetooth preferences on your computer? I had trouble with DUN at first and I just didn't have the drivers configured properly. Also make sure that when you turn on DUN you have Vision disconnected first. Have Vision off, turn on DUN, then try to connect and it will automatically log you into Vision.
    Ok will try tonight I dont have the bluetooth device to experiment with at work. I'm pretty sure I have the TREO setup properly its just the WinXP setup .. Can you maybe explain in more detail what needs to be done AFTER setting up the pairing ? That much i've been able to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Here it is, after hours of tracing code, it was a trival two byte patch... Here is the file, overwrite the existing one...

EDIT:

With so many people loading this patch, let me give the basic install instructions here to help get rid of problems:

1) Press reset button
    2) Load the patch file
    a) Set up versamail or other mail program on Treo.
    b) Email the patched file to yourself
    c) Check the mail on the Treo and load the file to RAM... Overwrite if asked.
    3) Press the reset button again
    4) Check to verify it all works...

Lastly, many people have asked to make donations to me for my time and effort in the community. I have to date, refused to comment much on these offers. I have decided to allow the following paypal account to collect these for me but must ask, if you donate, please keep the amounts small. There is no reason to give me more than a small thank you. As such please, no more than $5 per person... Spend it on programs you like for palm!

Finally, here is my website where you'll always find all my files no matter how buried they get at this forum! Thanks to MoleMan!
    Code:
    http://www.shadowmite.com
    i get the following error code when i sync:

- Install failed: C:\Program Files\palmOne\quickn\Install\BtManager[1].patched.prc
    Install synchronization failed

what did i did wrong?
    Here it is, after hours of tracing code, it was a trival two byte patch... Here is the file, overwrite the existing one...

EDIT:

With so many people loading this patch, let me give the basic install instructions here to help get rid of problems:

1) Press reset button
    2) Load the patch file
    a) Set up versamail or other mail program on Treo.
    b) Email the patched file to yourself
    c) Check the mail on the Treo and load the file to RAM... Overwrite if asked.
    3) Press the reset button again
    4) Check to verify it all works...

Lastly, many people have asked to make donations to me for my time and effort in the community. I have to date, refused to comment much on these offers. I have decided to allow the following paypal account to collect these for me but must ask, if you donate, please keep the amounts small. There is no reason to give me more than a small thank you. As such please, no more than $5 per person... Spend it on programs you like for palm!

Finally, here is my website where you'll always find all my files no matter how buried they get at this forum! Thanks to MoleMan!
    Code:
    http://www.shadowmite.com
    I'm a bit unclear on the concept. somewhere between #2 and #3 I get lost, I think. How am I "loading" the file? would it not just work frm my sd card? do i need to delete the bluetooth file from the treo before i put this patched one on?
    I install the file by copying it to the SD card from my computer, then use teal mover to copy it to ram... I'm sure it'll probably work just installing it by hotsyncing it though...

I don't know if you'll have to reset each time you use it... Clearly it wasn't intended to be released thus they didn't do much quality testing on it... But it appears to work quite fast... Only time with us using it will find the bugs.

You see they created the bluetooth form that comes up on everyones screen and then just "hid" the DUN portion... So I unhid it... And completely blocked off the hiding function from ever being called... Everything else is as they programmed it.
    where can i find a teal mover??
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    1. Turn off Bluetooth on the Treo

2. Soft rest (a precaution).

3. Use the install tool on your computer to install the patched file. Hotsync.

4. Soft reset your Treo (just in case).

5. Start Bluetooth and turn Dial-up Networking on.

You then you need to discover your Treo from your computer and initiate the dialup service. To login, use your vision login name and password and dial #777 as indicated above.
    COULD YOU GIVE STEPS ON "DISCOVERING THE TREO" AND "INITIATING THE DIALUP SERVICE?"
    Quote Originally Posted by quicknight
    COULD YOU GIVE STEPS ON "DISCOVERING THE TREO" AND "INITIATING THE DIALUP SERVICE?"
    Detailed instructions already exist for both Windows and Mac. Use the search function.
    I had some trouble seting up bt dun w/ desktop using bt usb adapter.... until I added #777 for the bt app to dial..
    now all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    I had some trouble seting up bt dun w/ desktop using bt usb adapter.... until I added #777 for the bt app to dial..
    now all is well.
    and how did you add that, exactly? also, what should I "search" for on detailed instructions? "DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS?"

talk to me like i'm a 3 year old . . . *****.

(:

(for clarification, that's read "3 year old *****" not "3 year old, *****")

(;
    and how did you add that, exactly? also, what should I "search" for on detailed instructions? "DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS?"

talk to me like i'm a 3 year old . . . *****.

(:

(for clarification, that's read "3 year old *****" not "3 year old, *****")

(;

Instructions for Windows here

Instructions for Macs here
    the only "discovery" i'm able to do is under network connections, there is a bluetooth device under "personal area network." THIS DISCOVERY METHOD DOES NOT SEE THE TREO. What, if anything, am I doing wrong?
    Instructions for Windows here

Instructions for Macs here

Read, then do. It will work, I promise,