Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Sounds great. So how do I set up the Treo 650 to use the computer with BT axs a dialer? I mailed the patch to my e-mail account on the Treo, then downloaded the file to my SD card. I didn't get any indication that it overwrote the existing BT applicaiton. I did find my laptop with BT but how do I set up the modem connection with my computer? Sorry for being slow here, but I am new to this.

jw11301@swbell.net
    please everyone who is using this send shadowmite a couple bucks:

paypal account: temfate@hotmail.com

this is wonderful. and please everyone take the time to read through all the posts before asking redundant questions.

tips:

-it doesn't matter how you get the .prc file into your treo, as long as an application is opening it, it will know what to do (hotsync, versamail, etc)

-make sure you turn off bluetooth and dial-up networking before installing. and then do a soft reset.

-DUN disables all other palm network related apps, after you are finished using the bluetooth modem, you should turn off DUN in bt prefs, and turn bt off and then on again (if you need to use it further, remember bt drains your battery FAST). this will avoid a forced reset and the slight power on delay some of you are experiencing.

thanks again for this shadowmite
    just installed Rom Update w/DUN (http://shadowmite.com/roms.html 3rd option). what can i expect from this...?
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    just installed Rom Update w/DUN (http://shadowmite.com/roms.html 3rd option). what can i expect from this...?
    That particular ROM adds the voice quality patch and enables bluetooth dial-up networking
    What exactly is the voice quality patch, and does everyone need it? I browsed Shadowmite's web page but could not find explanations for each ROM update (ie. purpose, what it does, who needs it, etc)
    The voice quality patch improves the quality of sound...not for you, but for the people you are talking to on the phone. In my case, people would tell me I sounded like I was in a cave...the voice quality patch fixed that.

The DUN patch enables Bluetooth dial-up networking, so that your Treo can be used as a wireless modem for your Bluetooth-enabled laptop computer.
    A couple questions:

1. Will the DUN patch require a hard reset? If so, will a resync put my apps back on or will I have to download them again and send the prc files to the device?

2. If sprint releases an ROM update, will the patch be over-written? Can the patch interfere with an update?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mandroid
    A couple questions:

1. Will the DUN patch require a hard reset? If so, will a resync put my apps back on or will I have to download them again and send the prc files to the device?

2. If sprint releases an ROM update, will the patch be over-written? Can the patch interfere with an update?

Thanks
    Any of the ROM patches require a hard reset, although you can enable Bluetooth DUN by itself by following the instructions in the first post of this thread and NOT need a hard reset.

If you hard reset, a resync will put your apps back on, although some apps don't function particularly well or at all after this. Also, you may lose a lot of your personalized settings. A better option is to use a backup program like BackupBuddyVFS. After a hard reset and a restore, I find that my Treo is back to the exact same it was before the reset, even including things like the web browser cache. There are one or two programs that don't like being restored like this and have to be reinstalled. For me, I find that VoiceDial and VeriChat always need reinstallation, but everything else works great.

If you install a Sprint-released ROM update, anything you do will be overwritten, no doubt.

Can the patch interfere with an update? Nobody knows...no update has been released yet. Theoretically, it shouldn't, UNLESS the update looks for a particular file from the original ROM that you have omitted in your custom ROM.
    Last edited by MacJunkie; 01/19/2005 at 10:59 AM.
    Thanks to all that provided help/update patches/roms (especially shadowmite).

Check out my bandwith (bandwidthplace.com)

321.1 kilobits per second

Communications 321.1 kilobits per second
    Storage 39.2 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 26.1 seconds

Simply Amazing.
    has there been any word from sprint when an 'official' dun patch will be out? just curious. i used the patched rom but my phone started acting up afterwords. i'm not 100% it was the patch or another program, either way i had to hard re-set and reload all my stuff. i'm hesitant to patch it again b/c it's running great right now. i'd love to use bluetooth DUN though
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Now that I got everything running on my Powerbook. I tried the bandwidth speed test and when I got 40.4kbs with my T-mobile and three or four signal bars, I'm now getting 141.3kbs on my treo 650 with one or two signal bars. Thank God I made the switch and thank you everyone out there for making this possible. You're about to make me cry.
    I just got my Treo 650 the other day and got my dongle last night. I got Hotsync and OBEX working fine but not DUN. I followed the instructions in this thread to a T and no luck. I think the problem might be the dongle and/or drivers but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I also checked to make sure the dongle supports DUN and the documentation says it does. First, I plugged the dongle in and XP SP2's BT wizard took over. I set the Treo and PC to discoverable and like I said, got Hotsync and OBEX working just fine. However when opening up BT properties on the PC, there's no option for DUN at all. Not surprisingly, when I create a DUN connection in Network Connections, there's no modem available at all.

I figured maybe the DUN profile can only be enabled by the OEM drivers so I installed them. Now I have a second BT icon in my tray and it tells me "Bluetooth Device Not Found." It created a My Bluetooth Places icon but nothing happens when I double click on that. Not that the window is empty, it just flashes a second and nothing comes up. That's when I decided to actually read the manufacturer's directions which said to install drivers before connecting the dongle to avoid any potential conflict. So I disconnected it, uninstalled the drivers, and removed the dongle from Device Manager. It was completely gone from my system.

I restarted my computer and installed the OEM drivers from scratch. It got most of the way through and then said it couldn't find a Bluetooth device connected. I continued and finished the installation and then connection the dongle. Sure enough the Windows BT wizard launched and installed the dongle again and I ended up with the same usability. Throughout all this I restarted my computer and reset my Treo many many times and made sure DUN was enabled on the Treo. No matter what I did, I could not get a BT DUN option on my computer.

The one thing I find strange that makes me think it could possibly be the Treo is that when I check out my connected devices on my computer and look at the services of the Treo, it doesn't show anything. No Hotsync, no hands free, no OBEX, no DUN, nothing. Is this normal or is my Treo not sending the information it should be?

Anyway, we're getting some pretty bad snow today so I won't be shopping for another dongle right now. But when I can, I'm going to get another one to try and see if I can find a DUN profile with that one. I guess if I do I know it was this dongle all along. I was hoping in the meantime one of you guys might have any ideas.

Thanks to Shadowmite and everyone else for all the great stuff in this and the other threads.
  13.    #413  
    let's go flyers... Let's see... On the treo you enable the DUN (set to on) and make it discoverable. Then exit the bluetooth menu to the home screen or elsewhere. Then on the computer, you should tell the computer to explore services offered by the device...

What kind of bluetooth adaptor are you using? The problem is they are all different! I assure you all, this DUN patch, or the DUN built into the custom roms, works! And it causes no problem if you follow the giudelines:

A) Turn off DUN when not being used
    B) Never turn DUN on when already connected to vision, use prefs-networks-disconnect

I hope this helps, and please don't give up! Does your bluetooth adaptors docs say it supports DUN?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    let's go flyers... Let's see... On the treo you enable the DUN (set to on) and make it discoverable. Then exit the bluetooth menu to the home screen or elsewhere. Then on the computer, you should tell the computer to explore services offered by the device...

What kind of bluetooth adaptor are you using? The problem is they are all different! I assure you all, this DUN patch, or the DUN built into the custom roms, works! And it causes no problem if you follow the giudelines:

A) Turn off DUN when not being used
    B) Never turn DUN on when already connected to vision, use prefs-networks-disconnect

I hope this helps, and please don't give up! Does your bluetooth adaptors docs say it supports DUN?

I'm sure the DUN in the custom ROM (I'm using your custom ROM #3) works as others have used it just fine.

I have DUN enabled and I made sure to disconnect from Vision first. The Treo and PC are both discoverable and OBEX and syncing work. When I check the list of services the Treo has, there's nothing there. It searches for services and finds none.

It's a cheap X-Micro dongle. I already contacted their tech support and am awaiting an e-mail back. The documentation does say it supports DUN.

So I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's only with the DUN profile.
    so i istalled patch 3 and when i enable DUN i get translibopen error 0x307 and then translibclose error 0x5002... wtf do i do now?
    Quote Originally Posted by nuro
    so i istalled patch 3 and when i enable DUN i get translibopen error 0x307 and then translibclose error 0x5002... wtf do i do now?
    First, do a soft reset.

The TransLib errors only show up if you attempt to turn on DUN while you are connected to Vision. If you are connected to Vision (i.e., if the data arrows are present above the signal strength indicator bars), disconnect from Vision before turning on DUN.

You can turn off Vision by going to Prefs > Network > Disconnect.
    I finally got it working, in fact I'm connected through my Treo right now at 115.2 kbps.

I got an e-mail back from the dongle's OEM and it turns out even though I installed their drivers Windows was still using its own default drivers and I had to force it to use the OEM's drivers. Once I did that and restarted I had the DUN profile and after some tinkering I got myself connected.

Again, thanks to Shadowmite and everyone else for their great contributions.
    I'm using the DUN patch downloaded off your site to my 650. I'd like a copy of it on my desktop to have if ever have to hard reset & it would ever be unavail on your site.... but when I try to click on it on your site... all I get is code/text. anyway to download to computer as functional file?
    TIA
    john
    If I want to use Shadowmite's custom Rom with the sound patch but without Dun, which files do I need to remove from the custom Rom and how much room will it free up not to use the Dun?
    You don't need to remove anything. Just use the Original Voice Quality Patched ROM from http://shadowmite.com/roms.html