Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    For those of us who are stupid, please explain a little more about what this hack allows us to do? I like to learn new stuff everyday. This topic is interesting to me, but I don't quite understand yet what's going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Free PDANet would be nice. $34.95 each time you change platform is just too much. I'm surprised no developer came out with a competing product at a lower price. Woulda sold a lot of copies.

Come on now - how much do you think these guys ever made off the app? Remember, they had to invest time coding, testing + supporting it over the years. And I doubt that more than a thousand people ever bought PdaNet. Let's not begrudge developers a couple of bucks, especially for apps as useful as PdaNet was. (Emphasis on "was"! )
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang
    For those of us who are stupid, please explain a little more about what this hack allows us to do? I like to learn new stuff everyday. This topic is interesting to me, but I don't quite understand yet what's going on.

You can now use the Treo 650 as a modem (connecting wirelessly via Bluetooth) for a Bluetooth laptop, desktop or larger PDA. This kind of flexibility is why a lot of people have started getting rid of their land lines and just using a cell.
    Wow!! Posting from my PC over bluetooth!!

Shadowmite, you rock!!
    Great job Shadowmite!! WTG!

Now, I've installed the patch and I see the DUN option in the Bluetooth application. When I select Yes to turn it on, I get a "TransLibOpen err 0x0307". Anyone else getting this?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    #777 for the number, your vision login (ie joeschmo@sprint.com), and your vision password...
    Way to go Shadow...

MODS, PLEASE MAKE THIS STICKY.
    Never mind...looks like a soft reset solved this issue. I'm gonna see if I can get online with my BT-enabled laptop... Will report speeds, if any.
    bandwidthplace.com says I'm doing 262.6 kilobits per second!
    Yeah, this should definitely be a sticky because I'm going to want to try this out as soon as my T650 gets here
    Any further newbie advice on how to install this patch? Is a third-party file management utility required, or does the "email and save" method mentioned earlier work fine?
    You can always use the freeware utility Filez if you need a file manager.
    Ok, installed the file by emailing to myself and seems to have gone smoothly (copied into applications). However, now when I hit "setup devices" (doesn't matter if DUN is on or off), I get a soft reset. Anyone else have this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Any further newbie advice on how to install this patch? Is a third-party file management utility required, or does the "email and save" method mentioned earlier work fine?
    1. Turn off Bluetooth on the Treo

2. Soft rest (a precaution).

3. Use the install tool on your computer to install the patched file. Hotsync.

4. Soft reset your Treo (just in case).

5. Start Bluetooth and turn Dial-up Networking on.

You then you need to discover your Treo from your computer and initiate the dialup service. To login, use your vision login name and password and dial #777 as indicated above.
    Interesting behavior I've found after installing the patch: With the patch installed and BT DUN turned on, the Treo 650 takes a while (around 15 seconds or so) to turn on after I press the power button. When I turn off BT DUN, the Treo turns on as soon as I press the button. Anyone else have these issues?
  15.    #35  
    Yes, I too have noticed a couple bugs. It would appear the DUN was never fully tested (they never expected it to be fixed ). The best advice is to turn it off when not needed and always turn it off before turning off bluetooth... Do it all in order and it seems to work quite well.
    Thanks, silverado, for the step-by-step, and DaMan, I'll definitely add Filez to my "must-have starter apps" list. Stuff like that makes me worry that I'll break something, is all!
    hella fast shadowmite...it isn't even a WEEK!
    gosh....
    now...where is the GSM version of the treo 650....
    Thank you Shadowmite! You are da man!! Man I love this website!
    wow. thank you so much shadowmite.

has anybody made it work with Mac OS X??

I installed patch and treo side should be fine, but I can't figure out the right setting on my powerbook side.
    Does this program use my wireless calling minutes or data minutes? (I have unlimited data, but calls cost.)
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast