Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    One point I would like to make. I have had to repeatedly re-pair the 650 when I want to log in via DUN.
    What do you mean by "re-pair"?
  3.    #323  
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba
    In hopes of saving people the 4-5 hours of fiddling, I have taken a few hours to make instructions. Let's call them open source instructions because in order to make them really good, I'll need feedback from those who go through and use them.

Merry Christmas
    Thanks! If you don't mind, I'll add your instruction links to my website to go with the DUN patch and custom rom's based on it... Let me know,

shadowmite
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Thanks! If you don't mind, I'll add your instruction links to my website to go with the DUN patch and custom rom's based on it... Let me know,

shadowmite

Hi Shadowmite. Certainly feel free to link the instructions - I made them to be used so posting them on your site seems like a great idea to me. I am committed to watching this post for suggested revisions, additions and tips and updating the instructions accordingly. My plan will be to edit my original post (#321) by replacing old documets with the new ones. I've already done that once and will continue as others make suggestions. (Only problem with this method is that the number of times the instructions are downloaded is zeroed each time I update - i.e. it was 59 and 29 before I updated, now it's zero. Interesting stat, but certainly not a big deal.)

Thanks again, Shadowmite, for all of your help in so many areas.

Keith
    I think Keith (varoomba) did a really nice job with his Win XP instructions. I'd be happy to do a similar set for Mac OS X users if anyone would find it helpful.

By the way, I have discovered that it isn't necessary to do a soft reset to avoid the "TransLibOpen err" if you are connected to Vision when you turn on DUN. You can also avoid it by going under Preferences > Network and disconnecting from Vision by clicking the "Disconnect" button. For those who get annoyed having to take off the battery cover to do a soft reset, this is another option.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    I think Keith (varoomba) did a really nice job with his Win XP instructions. I'd be happy to do a similar set for Mac OS X users if anyone would find it helpful.

By the way, I have discovered that it isn't necessary to do a soft reset to avoid the "TransLibOpen err" if you are connected to Vision when you turn on DUN. You can also avoid it by going under Preferences > Network and disconnecting from Vision by clicking the "Disconnect" button. For those who get annoyed having to take off the battery cover to do a soft reset, this is another option.
    Great step-by-step for Mac OS X available in the Mac fourm.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64229

gee is it just me, or do the Mac instructions look much easier?
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    Great step-by-step for Mac OS X available in the Mac fourm.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64229

gee is it just me, or do the Mac instructions look much easier?
    Gah, I totally missed those (nicely done vocaro!). Sorry for not searching before I posted. And yes, they are MUCH easier. I had my Powerbook surfing the net over my BT 1xRTT connection within 20 minutes of downloading Shadowmite's DUN patch. About half of that time was spent trying to find out the dialing string to access Vision (#777).
    Hi

I installed the bluetooth DUN patch and now when I go to SETUP DEVICES in the bluetooth manager on my treo it soft resets everytime. What do I do? Help please.

Thanks

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by echocommerce
    Hi

I installed the bluetooth DUN patch and now when I go to SETUP DEVICES in the bluetooth manager on my treo it soft resets everytime. What do I do? Help please.

Thanks

Scott
    Step 1: Do not panic.

Step 2: Use a program like FileZ to delete the RAM version of BT_Manager...it will be the larger of the 2 files (71k instead of 61k) and will NOT have a little chip icon next to it. (Delete the one I put the red arrow next to in the attached image file.)

Step 3: Do a soft reset.

Step 4: Setup your bluetooth device as you normally would.

Step 5: Reinstall the DUN patch.

Yes, you may have to do this any time you want to pair a new device using Bluetooth manager. I do. I keep a copy of the hacked BT DUN file in my Versamail saved messages. I find that deleting and reinstalling the patch adds no more than 1 minute to whatever I'm doing...a small price to payto have DUN.

P.S.: If you don't have FileZ, you should. It's freeware. You can get it at http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MacJunkie; 12/27/2004 at 08:48 PM.
  10.    #330  
    Actually, it's completely random on if you need the delete the patch. It'll pair just fine with the patch, and sometimes it'll crash without it... Just reset the phone a couple times, turn bluetooth off/on/off, make sure you are NOT connected to vision, and try to pair it again...
    What do you mean by "re-pair"?
    Apparently the PC needs to recognize the pairing as Dial Up Networking, and seems to loose that when then system either system is reset. So even though it says it is recognized and paired, it still does not work and hangs. After it is again paired such that it recognizes DUN option it works again, I have observed.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Actually, it's completely random on if you need the delete the patch. It'll pair just fine with the patch, and sometimes it'll crash without it... Just reset the phone a couple times, turn bluetooth off/on/off, make sure you are NOT connected to vision, and try to pair it again...
    It's interesting that it works for some people with the method you described. I have tried everything and always wind up having to delete the patch to initiate pairing from the Treo. But like I said, it's become a trivial matter to do it quickly, it's an infrequent issue, and it's a very small price to pay for a great feature.
    Other than trying to save the $35 reg fee, why not use pdanet's most recent version that supports BT? I tried the shadowmite's patch and had similar issues to the ones described above, and started usind pdanet which works everytime. Just a thought.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    Other than trying to save the $35 reg fee, why not use pdanet's most recent version that supports BT? I tried the shadowmite's patch and had similar issues to the ones described above, and started usind pdanet which works everytime. Just a thought.
    From everything I hear, PDAnet is a very good product. I just don't feel like I should pay for a functionality that my phone ought to have anyway. And since this minor issue doesn't put a significant cramp in my life, that's the choice I made. I can't fault anyone for making the opposite decision.

That's the longer answer. The shorter and more relevant answer for me is that PDAnet is only available for Windows.
    Last edited by MacJunkie; 12/27/2004 at 08:56 PM.
    Remember, Palm turned off DUN for a reason they told us it was to buggy to release. Indeed it
    is buggy. While it works great, it requires a soft reset before and after each use which is far from
    ideal.
    Hi,

Maybe it's just my Treo, but I don't have to soft reset before and after each use. In fact, I haven't reset my Treo in quite a while, and have consistently used DUN via bluetooth using shadowmite's patched file. Actually, one of his ROMs, which included the patched bluetooth manager.

Once again, DUN via bluetooth never caused a single need for resetting the device, in my case.

Great instructions, by the way.

-mike
    MacJunkie,

Thanks man, I was starting to sweat it! Everything is back to normal now.

Thanks

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    gt5l,

Great question. One I found myself asking after spending 5 hours trying to figure out DUN!

I have used PDAnet on my Treo 300 and then for the past year on my Treo 600 and have always been very pleased with it. Excellent software.

I'm not sure why I didn't go that route - especially since the entry costs were even lower for me - $24 upgrade. (I actually downloaded PDAnet before heading out of town in the event that I was unable to get DUN working - I knew that would work!) In the end, I think I did it for the adventure and challenge. Crazy, but I just wanted to see if it would work. I also was curious to see if my speeds would be any better via DUN than through PDAnet. Also, DUN didn't require me to set up software on my laptop - which is always a plus.

Either way, if I were thinking rational, I would have probably stuck with PDAnet. I still may go back to it if I get tired of the resets... But then again, if you own a 650, you're bleeding edge and it's not much fun to be on the edge and and take it safe at the same time. It's all in the advenure.

Plus, it's fun to test out the patches that Shadowmite comes up with!

Keith
    Last edited by varoomba; 12/27/2004 at 11:08 PM.
    Well I decided to try out PDANet since I didn't have a lot of time to spend getting DUN working right. What a great program. Here are my download speeds:

USB using hot sync cable to connect to laptop: 305 KBPS
    Using Bluetooth: 58 KBPS

Is this normal...is bluetooth really 4 times slower than USB? Not that it matters since I can just use the hot sync cable most of the time but I thought Bluetooth was supposed to be faster?

Scott
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I have finally figured out DUN on my IBM Thinkpad. My problem is now when I disconnect the DUN connection, the T650 freezes with the connection still active. (Arrows above the signal indicator) I have to do a soft reset with the stylus or by pulling the battery to get it to hang up. This is a Verizonized phone with Shadow's minimal apps. ROM installed. Also, I dont have a data plan so I'm dialing into my Earthlink account. This only happens when I disconnect from the Thinkpad. The connection does terminate but the T650 is still connected to Earthlink. Anyone have any ideas?

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by SloMo
    I have finally figured out DUN on my IBM Thinkpad. My problem is now when I disconnect the DUN connection, the T650 freezes with the connection still active. (Arrows above the signal indicator) I have to do a soft reset with the stylus or by pulling the battery to get it to hang up. This is a Verizonized phone with Shadow's minimal apps. ROM installed. Also, I dont have a data plan so I'm dialing into my Earthlink account. This only happens when I disconnect from the Thinkpad. The connection does terminate but the T650 is still connected to Earthlink. Anyone have any ideas?

Mo
    Have you tried shutting off DUN first and then disconnecting the connection with the laptop?