Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After coveting my father's Treo 600 for so long, I'm soon (if UPS to be believed, tomorrow) to join the Treo fold with the 650, upgrading from a Clie NZ-70. I know many "power users" here are struggling with the transition from a 600 to a 650, and with the Slashdot-worthy memory issue, but I guess I'm, for once, thankful I'm not a cutting-edge guy in the Treo universe. Just getting my Palm OS PDA (I started with the first Palm Pilot) and a Sprint cell phone in one device is exciting enough for me.

That said, I know the Treo 650 and PalmOS 5 can do snazzy things... some of which I could do on my Clie. But since I'll be starting from scratch, I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on "must-have" software for a Treo newbie... whether because it's useful or just great to show off. As it stands, AvantGo and the proprietary Sony media viewer are the only non-core apps I use on a regular basis.

Well, that and DateMate. Anyone know if there are any problems with it on the 650?

Of course, I now know I'm going to want to learn my way around ZLauncher and invest in a 1GB SD card. I know I should install the Documents-to-Go Tech Tool. And I don't think I'll be able to resist trying the beta PdaNet for 650.

Any advice on multimedia? Is eReader it for e-books, and is PocketTunes the only way to go for MP3? As for video, I see a lot of people using PQDVD and mmplayer. (Is mmplayer free? It's listed as such on some sites, but PalmGear has a price.) Is that combo preferrable to the Kinoma stuff? And I've read here that the built-in Palm OS install utility can now convert and play .AVI and .MPG files natively. Should that be good enough?

What about e-mail? I know that the 650 comes with Versamail, and that Versamail works with Gmail, so that sounds like all I need. But am I missing something without SnapperMail? It sure seems popular. Fortunately, I don't need Exchange support... just vanilla POP or IMAP.

I've never had much luck with map/localization stuff, in part because Hawaii is usually a black hole as far as available information. But this is the sort of utility that people almost expect to see on a "smart phone." Is Mapopolis good? Is Vindigo a reasonable facsimile?

Is Grafitti Anywhere still needed for this device? Am I asking for trouble without something like BackupMan? And perhaps the big one... do I need something like Agendus or DateBk? I don't think I'd use half the features, but Agendus in particular sure looks good.

These are all apps that I wouldn't even know about if it wasn't for this forum. And for all the bad news being posted about the Treo 650, I know that I'll be happy... since I would've been happy just inheriting a second-hand 600! Whether you have any advice or not, thanks for providing such an active and colorful community.
    Last edited by pzarquon; 11/22/2004 at 12:38 PM.
    Avantgo works for you on the 650?
  3.    #3  
    So far so good. I can even sync AvantGo via Sprint PCS Vision (i.e. no Hotsync). This might be old hat to some folks, but for me its a big thrill, coming from a "dumb" PDA. Is it reported as troublesome elsewhere?

FWIW, I feel a bit lucky in not having many of the problems others on these boards have, but much of that must be the fact that I'm starting fresh in Treoland, whereas most "power users" are trying to navigate a transition from a Treo 600. I can see how someone making the jump might be disappointed in the 650, but as the kind of user that most consumer reviews are using as their model (new to smartphones, few to no hacks or third-party apps), this device is spectacular.

Since this thread is still kicking around... any new advice out there on the applications I mentioned above? Any multimedia winners? Is Agendus ready for the T650 yet?
    It says my account is locked during the sync of Avantgo.. Any suggestions?
    I'd like to know about Avantgo and Mac OS X. I've got the Missing Sync which says supports it but I can't find anything on their site about an OS X client. Any help?

Also, I really want to know what Must Have software is out there! Let's have, Treo users!!!
    I'm using PDANet (trial version) with my 650 and it rocks! Speeds reported from different testing sites i visited:

bandwidthplace.com: 528.3 kbps

CNET bandwidth meter: 333.1 kbps

dslreports: 46 dl/ 41 ul

TOAST.NET: 255 kbps

Beeline: 500+ kbps

I'm a noob and don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but in my system tray it says the connection is 145 kbps. One thing is clear, the connection was fast and the websurfing was very enjoyable

*it must be noted that i performed these test at 3am Eastern time, the network is obviously much less busier than peak times. I'll have to test the speeds then as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    Avantgo works for you on the 650?
    I have never truly understood Avantgo but what I Do think I understand is that it is not live. You synch and it downloads current pages for news, etc. I never saw the value in reading stale news when we have the capability to view live. What do YOU get out of Avantgo?

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    I have never truly understood Avantgo but what I Do think I understand is that it is not live. You synch and it downloads current pages for news, etc. I never saw the value in reading stale news when we have the capability to view live. What do YOU get out of Avantgo?
    Eric
    OH I'll take this. I'm on the subway underground in NYC in the mornings and afternoons for 30 minutes. Hard to get a live signal down there. That's the only reason I use it.
    Mac OS X AvantGo - I use Mal Conduit with the Palm Destop with no problem. In theory Missing Sync is supposed to do this. See downloads page at AvatGo site for links.

AvantGo is great for reading New York Times, USA Today, The Onion, etc.
    Not everything has to be newsbreaking by the minute.
    The speed of a fast computer hotsync is still much faster than wireless.
    Hit it once in the morning and you're done.
    You can read on a plane or anywhere, even without a signal.
    Channels are designed for mobile display so you don't have to fight with Blazer.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Try mobipocket for e-reader. They are all similar, and you might want to look at what format the majority of the ebooks you want to read come in. I read a lot of sci fi and BAEN.com has almost there entire catalog in mobipcket format.
    I used Avantgo for a while but it was taking up too much space on my Treo 300. (Remember, it only has 16mb). Plus, it seemed for the premium stuff I was interested in, (cnn, nyt, salon, independant) you had to pay a premium fee.
    I've been very happy with iSilo and iSiloX. I can synch websites as well as text documents and ebooks I have converted. Plus, I can specify pictures (resized or regular) or not as well as following off site links (boy, does that get you into trouble) and site file size limits.
    I can't wait to get my 650 (on order from VC so probably after Christmas) and try some of the pictures in high res.
    I love avantgo - especially on the 650 because of the better resolution and readability. The best use for me is when I get on a plane. Before take off, I sync my server and all my channels leaving me with plenty to read and catch up on while in flight.

Lots of great channels on avantgo, including:

MSNBC
    Reuters
    NY Times
    Wired
    USA Today
    The Sporting News
    Quote Originally Posted by woofytexan
    I used Avantgo for a while but it was taking up too much space on my Treo 300. (Remember, it only has 16mb). Plus, it seemed for the premium stuff I was interested in, (cnn, nyt, salon, independant) you had to pay a premium fee.
    I've been very happy with iSilo and iSiloX. I can synch websites as well as text documents and ebooks I have converted. Plus, I can specify pictures (resized or regular) or not as well as following off site links (boy, does that get you into trouble) and site file size limits.
    I can't wait to get my 650 (on order from VC so probably after Christmas) and try some of the pictures in high res.
    Sorry to break it to you, but the effective memory on the 650 is about the same as the 300.
    Still waiting on mine too...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Avantgo can sync live, or at least, it seems to on my T650 when I'm connected through Vision. Instead of pulling from the cache on my SD card, it actually goes out and pulls down the live page (which is occasionally somewhat annoying, since the local cache would be faster).

And yes, I could surf all these news sites directly on the web, but except for those that provide a specific low-res or text-only version, I'd be downloading heaps of stuff I don't really need. For all its limitations, AvantGo excels at working with publishers to create mobile-optimized content. Sure, a coder/blogger can PDA-ify a website pretty easily, but when you're a stodgy regional newspaper, sometimes the corporate partnership is the easier way to go.
    Besides AvantGo... What other software is a MUST BUY?

* PLEA : Please don't Mac/PC this thread! *
    I'm a total Mac nut and would like to make my Treo 650 look like OS X as well. Anyone on the forums here who can point me in the right direction? THANKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmacgeek
    Besides AvantGo... What other software is a MUST BUY?

* PLEA : Please don't Mac/PC this thread! *
    I'm a total Mac nut and would like to make my Treo 650 look like OS X as well. Anyone on the forums here who can point me in the right direction? THANKS!
    I use Yi Show launcher to make my clie NX70V look like a mac. There are a bunch of OSX skins for the clie version of the software but I'm not sure about the Palm version. If not I will make a skin for my soon to be gotten 650GSM
    Verily, I recommend Vindigo as an excellent application for the refined gentleman. With Vindigo on my 650, I am able to obtain information on the nearest entertainment facilities, as well as the best locations to procure libations!
    I was large and in charge!
    li·ba·tion
    1 a : an act of pouring a liquid as a sacrifice (as to a deity) b : a liquid (as wine) used in a libation
    2 a : an act or instance of drinking often ceremoniously b : BEVERAGE; especially : a drink containing alcohol

It still sounded dirty though.
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    I use Yi Show launcher to make my clie NX70V look like a mac. There are a bunch of OSX skins for the clie version of the software but I'm not sure about the Palm version. If not I will make a skin for my soon to be gotten 650GSM
    I'm trying to find *anything* on replacing icons or a pre-made Mac OS X looking theme and am coming up empty. I'm a total newbie when it comes to this stuff and would really like to hear from you once you get your T650 and get your Mac skin on it! Love to see a pic!

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast