Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Great post.
    Is there a way to change my "desktop picture"? I can only find how to change my phone's wallpaper.... Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Avantgo can sync live, or at least, it seems to on my T650 when I'm connected through Vision. Instead of pulling from the cache on my SD card, it actually goes out and pulls down the live page (which is occasionally somewhat annoying, since the local cache would be faster).

And yes, I could surf all these news sites directly on the web, but except for those that provide a specific low-res or text-only version, I'd be downloading heaps of stuff I don't really need. For all its limitations, AvantGo excels at working with publishers to create mobile-optimized content. Sure, a coder/blogger can PDA-ify a website pretty easily, but when you're a stodgy regional newspaper, sometimes the corporate partnership is the easier way to go.
    That is much better if it does it live. ALmost seems like it is then serving as a browser of sorts...

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaifull
    I'm using PDANet (trial version) with my 650 and it rocks! Speeds reported from different testing sites i visited:

bandwidthplace.com: 528.3 kbps

CNET bandwidth meter: 333.1 kbps

dslreports: 46 dl/ 41 ul

TOAST.NET: 255 kbps

Beeline: 500+ kbps

I'm a noob and don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but in my system tray it says the connection is 145 kbps. One thing is clear, the connection was fast and the websurfing was very enjoyable

*it must be noted that i performed these test at 3am Eastern time, the network is obviously much less busier than peak times. I'll have to test the speeds then as well.
    Are you using this after installing the BT patch for DUN? How do you set things up?
    Thanks,
    Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    That is much better if it does it live. ALmost seems like it is then serving as a browser of sorts...

Eric
    It does work live. You have the option to work online or offline. Offline you simply view your cached pages. I use this option when I have to turn my phone off on a flight. I sync all my channels (e.g., msnbc, reuters, forbes - about 15 of them) prior to takeoff and then read in offline mode for the flight. I use the online option whenever I have a data connection. It's still very fast compared to blazer and makes for some good lunchtime reading.

All of this is configurable in the Avantgo menus. Avantgo is a great tool for people who like to stay up on current events.
    I had to sacrifice my avantgo. All avantgo is, is a compilation of sites under one name, and if you have a device with no wireless access, is nice to sync and then read it later.
    However it takes too much staff to hold the info down and with the treo650 with limited memory, what I did is to bookmark each side I used with Avantgo and now I access and read each one independently.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssaifull
    I'm using PDANet (trial version) with my 650 and it rocks! Speeds reported from different testing sites i visited:

I'm a noob and don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but in my system tray it says the connection is 145 kbps. One thing is clear, the connection was fast and the websurfing was very enjoyable

*it must be noted that i performed these test at 3am Eastern time, the network is obviously much less busier than peak times. I'll have to test the speeds then as well.

Are you using this after installing the BT patch for DUN? How do you set things up?
    Thanks,
    Eric

DITTO
    I just got my 650 and love it1 but would like to set additional software wisely
    "Must-Have Software for a New Treo"
    1.Verichat
    2.Zlauncher
    3.Kinoma
    4.Pocket tunes
    5.Games- What ever you like.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    i am a bit dissapointed of zlauncher. confusing and not very friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    I had to sacrifice my avantgo. All avantgo is, is a compilation of sites under one name, and if you have a device with no wireless access, is nice to sync and then read it later.
    However it takes too much staff to hold the info down and with the treo650 with limited memory, what I did is to bookmark each side I used with Avantgo and now I access and read each one independently.
    You realize Avantgo can store the articles on your SD card right ? It uses hardly any memory.
  11. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mratatood
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssaifull

Thanks,
    Eric

DITTO
    I just got my 650 and love it1 but would like to set additional software wisely
    About PDANet, I believe you do not need the bluetooth DUN patch.

About Avantgo, I'm trying out the SD card storage now and will let you all know how it goes.
    My turn!

launcherx
    pocket tunes deluxe
    verichat
    treoguard
    tip assist (excellent for that party of 8 when everyone tries to break down gratuity)
    adobe reader
    soundrec
    kinoma Ex
    snappermail/handzipper
    isilo
    Agendus
    zap2016
    bejeweled2

This is on my 600 phone as i am *still* contemplating a gsm or cdma version.

If anyone has many of these apps loaded on their 650s, let me know how they are holding up... that will save me search time..
  13. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Avantgo storage to SD card works. Using my PC, I found that about 2 MB of files are stored under PALM\Programs\AvantGo on my SD Card.
  14. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    "If anyone has many of these apps loaded on their 650s, let me know how they are holding up... that will save me search time.."

Snappermail works great on my 650. I like it better than the versamail app that comes with the 650. It would be great if snapper could alert you to emails in the "Agenda" view in the Palm Calendar app; however, snapper alerts do appear in the alert list. Hope this helps.
    Regarding Vindigo, a couple of questions?
    1. On their site I assume I downlaod the PDA version, NOT the mobile phone version, correct?
    2. Can Vindigo (the PDA version) "sync" wirelessly, or will I have to Hotsync when I want to update it's info? Either way seems fine, as I can't imagine too many facts about restaurants, theaters, bathrooms, ATMs, etc. changing that often, but I was curious.
    And on a final note, I use the Avantgo page for SprintPCSinfo.com independantly on my Treo. The only other channel I read very often was SciFi's. Does anyone have that address so I can just bookmark it? Thanks.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  16. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Regarding Vindigo, a couple of questions?
    1. On their site I assume I downlaod the PDA version, NOT the mobile phone version, correct?
    2. Can Vindigo (the PDA version) "sync" wirelessly, or will I have to Hotsync when I want to update it's info? Either way seems fine, as I can't imagine too many facts about restaurants, theaters, bathrooms, ATMs, etc. changing that often, but I was curious.
    And on a final note, I use the Avantgo page for SprintPCSinfo.com independantly on my Treo. The only other channel I read very often was SciFi's. Does anyone have that address so I can just bookmark it? Thanks.
    1) correct.

2) Yes, vidigo syncs wirelessly as well. This is a useful feature if you're away from your PC for long periods of time (like me when I travel for work). Hope this helps. J
    I would add LightNZip to the list. It enables you to Zip/Unzip like you want to. HandZipperLite is nice, but you can only Unzip certain files, and with a Zip full of JPGs you can only View 1 at a time with HZL. I'm not sure about HandZipper, but the LNZip demo download is fully functional.
    i m not sure of backupman compatibility for 650, but I have made a successful backup, haven't try restore yet
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    i am a bit dissapointed of zlauncher. confusing and not very friendly.
    Try LauncherX - I'm loving it.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Vindigo's map alone has proven a godsend in many cities--you can stare at a map all you like, but everyone else thinks you're just texting! I don't use it all that often at home (except for movies or weather) since I have my own finely honed mental maps, but the ability to find surcharge-free ATMs (yes, I'm that cheap) is also a bonus when elsewhere.
    - pc
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12