Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, It's time for a new Bluetooth Bounty. Anybody out there up to the challenge of updating Palms Bluetooth stack to include the A2DP profile?

For those not familiar, this is the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile that allows you to listen to stereo music via bluetooth. There are some really nice bluetooth stereo headphones coming out on the market that use this profile. Check out the set from Logitech/HP.

I'm good fro $10 to anyone who is up to the task. Anybody else?
    I will also get in for $10, (when and if i get my treo)
    Count me in for $20. But the question is can this be done, I mean theoretically. Have people changed BT profiles on other phones or PDAs before? I know that Apple has updated the firmware for their built in BT modules a few times, most recently to add... A2DP!
    From my playing with the bluetooth stack on this phone, I'll say it's definitely possible, but this won't be a simple patch (like the DUN patch). This will require a re-write of the entire stack and the manager... It's doubtful it'll happen unless palm does it themselves... Sorry to dissapoint.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Moreover, wasn't it a speed issue? I thought BT 1.1 wasn't fast enough to support music through BT.?
  6.    #6  
    It's not a speed issue. A2DP will work with Bluetooth 1.1. If you look on the Palm Source web site, they offer a fair amount of documentation on their Bluetooth stack. I don't know of PalmOne uses this or their own.
    Anyway, it is definitely possible.
  7.    #7  
    I should add that Bluetooth 1.2 is not inherently faster than 1.1
    I want to use the BlueTake iPhono headphones~~ Someone figure this out~~
    Im in for a 10 spot?

Can we set this up like last time?
    The Broadcom 2035 Chipset used in the Treo will now support BT 1.2. Broadcom just released the update on November 4. So the hardware does support BT 1.2 and A2DP.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-e...1112004-1.html
    The Broadcom 2035 Chipset used in the Treo will now support BT 1.2. Broadcom just released the update on November 4. So the hardware does support BT 1.2 and A2DP.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-e...1112004-1.html

The kicker will be getting the OS to use the new profiles. PalmOne has stated that they wont do BT 1.2 on the 650. PallmOne should get off their *** and work on the 650 and enhancing it to make PalmOne users happy after this **** poor launch before worrying about a 700.
    Here is the following info regarding the BT profiles that the Treo 650 supports and doesn't support as well as the possibility of upgrading to BT 1.2:

The Treo 650 smartphone's Bluetooth 1.1 implementation supports these Bluetooth profiles:

-GAP (Generic Access Profile: core Bluetooth support)
    HSP (Headset Profile: answer/end calls, make outgoing calls, adjust volume)
    -HFP (Hands-Free Profile: reject call, mute, auto-answer, voice tags, last number redial)
    -SPP (Serial Port Profile: Bluetooth support for serial data connections, treating Bluetooth links as virtual COM ports)
    -GOEP (Generic Object Exchange Protocol: vCal, vCard and other files exchanged with Bluetooth devices)

Treo 650's Bluetooth implementation does not support these Bluetooth profiles:

-HID (Human Interface Device: connect to Bluetooth keyboard and other input devices)
    -FTP (File Transfer Profile: appears as external hard drive on a Windows or Mac computer)
    -A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution: playing music wirelessly. This is Bluetooth 1.2, and the Treo 650 smartphone is Bluetooth 1.1)

All other Bluetooth profiles not specifically listed above
    Will Treo 650 be upgradeable to Bluetooth 1.2?
    At this time, there are no plans to upgrade the Bluetooth technology in the Treo 650 smartphone to version 1.2.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13.    #13  
    It doesn't say its not possible to upgrade, just that their are no plans. It might require a full rewrite of the Bluetooth stack, or maybe just a hack that "steals" access to the Broadcom chip when using A2DP.
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    It doesn't say its not possible to upgrade, just that their are no plans. It might require a full rewrite of the Bluetooth stack, or maybe just a hack that "steals" access to the Broadcom chip when using A2DP.
    Well first thing that would need to happen is some sort of firmware upgrade for the the chip to be BT 1.2 compliant. If this were to occur, and if the existing BT stack on the 650 would work with the 1.2 profiles that were in 1.1, then the 650 would still work as it did before, after a 1.2 upgrade. Now an app developer would be needed to add the new profiles either into a new or existing app, or into the Palm OS itself (app may be easier). These are a lot of ifs, and given the current memory debacle, Palm maybe should consider doing some more dev work on the 650 to throw the 650 users a bone.

Right now it seems like this is Palm's attitude:

"Here is the 650. We tried to put the memory defects past you, but since you were smart enough to catch them, here is a 128 MB SD card that we need to get rid of anyway because everyone is buying 512 or 1024 MB SD cards now and we could use the rightoff. We are not going to improve BT, or make WiFi work because we are developing a 700 that we will do both on. We are so confident that the 650 is so much better than the competition that you can either take this or leave it."

M$ is looking better and better because I at least know that they will steal the best ideas from other manufacturers and put them in their OS to try to beat the competition. PalmOne seems to have forgotten that they aren't the only game in town and that they must improve the products in every iteration. I am sorry but an improved screen and flaky BT do not make up for the fact that the device can't even hold as much information as the previous version. Next Palm will be telling us is that Bill Gates said that 640 kb of memory is all that a PC will ever need, so a PDA would surely need less.
    Can it be done? Yes, the implementation palm is using has files in the rom (like tha btmanager I patched) that control the bt stack and bt chip. So if you could find another device using the same chip for bluetooth, and dump it's firmware to get the 1.2 stack... Well, then as posted above we'd have to hope the old 1.1 profiles work with the new chip... And then we'd need to re-write new btstack drivers to handle the new profile, and lastly re-write a new interface manager... You're talking a BIG project for a home hack or even moderate programming firm...

I seriously dought a developer will accomplish this, only palm has the ability...
  16.    #16  
    Yeah, I admit it's a longshot, and not likely for a home hack. But I was thinking of somebody like maybe the guy or guys who wrote the Bluetooth stack and drivers for linux. They would have the knowledge of how to do it and the source code to start with.

The last bounty got to $3000 didn't it?
    No, over $5000.
    Well okay, if A2DP is too much to ask for... then how about just plain support for for mono sound output via BT headset at least?! I mean, can perhaps this be at least possible?

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Well okay, if A2DP is too much to ask for... then how about just plain support for for mono sound output via BT headset at least?! I mean, can perhaps this be at least possible?
    This I believe is very possible, but the result is going to be like listening to a friends radio over the telephone. Anyone can test this out themselves if they own a computer with bluetooth and have a bluetooth headset. Pair the two together with the headset profile and take a listen.

I feel the poor quality is why the support was not included.

But in spite of this, I bet a developer can come up with a software workaround.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    This I believe is very possible, but the result is going to be like listening to a friends radio over the telephone. Anyone can test this out themselves if they own a computer with bluetooth and have a bluetooth headset. Pair the two together with the headset profile and take a listen.

I feel the poor quality is why the support was not included.

But in spite of this, I bet a developer can come up with a software workaround.

<BUMP>

Even if the quality is poor, I would still be interested... Anyone else?

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast