Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Many of us do want mono- for use with audio books and such.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    ok. What I understood was stereo myself. Can some of the earlier claimer of "stereo possible claim" come forward and verify that "it is not possible on Treo650"?
    I also wanted to know this. If conference call, 3way calling, is possible to drop one line on treo? At this time if I take conference call, I have to drop all parties and I dont get an option to drop only specific line. IF this is possible to create an option where one could easily use conference functionality in treo, I can throw some money into that as well. Any takers or do I have to create seperate thread for that??
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    I also wanted to know this. If conference call, 3way calling, is possible to drop one line on treo? At this time if I take conference call, I have to drop all parties and I dont get an option to drop only specific line. IF this is possible to create an option where one could easily use conference functionality in treo, I can throw some money into that as well. Any takers or do I have to create seperate thread for that??
    This is possible on GSM but *not* possible on CDMA Treo 650's. ON GSM Treo's this is already built-in to the phone application. (At least I can do this on my unlocked 650 - if I am understanding you correctly).

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Many of us do want mono- for use with audio books and such.
    I will continue my work on a mono solution then.

Jeff
    I am on Sprint FYI . But I had Samsung phone in past with sprint and was able to push answer button twice to disconnect one person after taking a conference call. Now on treo I cant. How can it be CDMA instead of TREO???
    Not to discourage Jeff, but many of us are hoping to have a A2DP bluetooth stack written for the Treo. I personally would want to listen to my music using the bluetooth stereo headphones. I know some would like to listen to their audio books mono, but the majority want stereo. Am I right?

Can someone verify if A2DP is possible for the TREO?
    BMIDGLEY WROTE (earlier in the thread)

"Basically, we have written the software to give you wireless stereo audio in Linux and we've proven that it will work on the same class of cpu as the treo has. It should be straightforward for a palmos developer to take what we have and make it work on the treo. The hard part that remains is all palmos specific."

Jeff - can you say what this means? Is the PalmOS stuff something that can only be done by Palm?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyMacaroni
    BMIDGLEY WROTE (earlier in the thread)

"Basically, we have written the software to give you wireless stereo audio in Linux and we've proven that it will work on the same class of cpu as the treo has. It should be straightforward for a palmos developer to take what we have and make it work on the treo. The hard part that remains is all palmos specific."

Jeff - can you say what this means? Is the PalmOS stuff something that can only be done by Palm?
    I'm not Jeff, but I can tell you what it means. It means that BMIDGLEY has successfully written software to allow stereo audio in Linux on a CPU that is similar to the Treo's. This means that the CPU in the Treo should be capable of doing the same thing (there was some thought that the Treo's CPU wouldn't be powerful enough for this). Unfortunately it still doesn't mean that the whole project is possible on the Treo, because even though the CPU may be powerful enough there may still be other problems with the bluetooth hardware on the Treo. It also doesn't mean that it will be possible to quickly and easily run this on the Treo because the version that BMIDGLEY is talking about runs on Linux. The Treo runs software written for PalmOS. Someone (anyone who can code for PalmOS) needs to port the software from Linux and figure out how to get that software to talk to the Treo hardware.

I believe that this solution consists of completely rewriting a software bluetooth stack. What Jeff is talking about doing is using the existing bluetooth stack and simply sending the audio to it. That should be easier to do and also much more likely to be successful.

Personally, I would love to be able to get any audio - mono or stereo on my bluetooth headset. I'm not going to throw any money into the pot, but I would certainly pay $10 or so for an app that does this.

Brett
    I subscribe to audible.com and listen to tons of audio books. Mono would be outstanding!
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I also would absolutely love to listen to my audiobooks - and mono would be just fine. I have been following this thread anxiously interested in what could happen...thanks.
    Last edited by sahmad88; 09/29/2005 at 12:26 AM.
    Definately still interested, and my $30 is still in there too. I'll go $50 if anyone can make voice activated calling part of the deal.

JH
    I just don't believe it is impossible to write a bluetooth stack for our 650 to use A2DP. It is just a matter of not having enough re$ources to attract developers.

If all else fail, does any of you any manufacturer that makes SD bluetooth v.1.2 for Palm power device with intergrated memory?

YB
    Hello all, Sorry I am comming here a little late, but I just got my 650. So I am a Software Engineer, and from what I see I think it could be done. I don't think the bluetooth stack can be that hard, but I have yet to really dive into it. So I have to questions.

1. Are people really still interested?

2. What work has been doen.

3. Who are the people who want to work on this?
    I don't know what has been done to date, but I am definitely still interested. I'm on my 4th set of the $35.00 Seidio headphones. They work fine for a while, but they short out after about 3 months. wires always get pulled. I don't like wires. If you can make this work, it would be a dream come true!
    I definitely want AD2P on my treo. No doubt about it. I will honor my pledge of $30. I hope u can get it to work.
    Yes, add another audible.com listener that would be interested in hearing mono sound from the Audible Palm Player over a standard BT phone headset ...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    No it is not a typo. The Treo 650 is not capable of doing stereo BT. If you read the top few posts, the Treo does not have the BT 1.2 stack and you need this for stereo.
    There is nothing about bt1.2 that is required for stereo. If you look at the spec, all it adds is adaptive frequency hopping (AFH) and a better mono audio transport (eSCO). Sure, you could benefit from more reliable transmissions with AFH but it's not a make-or-break situation.

I am using bt1.1 hardware all the time to transmit stereo (under linux).

It's also not necessary to rewrite the bluetooth stack or somehow "upgrade" it first. All you need are the API hooks necessary to bring up RFCOMM and L2CAP bluetooth links. Note neither of these protocols are new to bt1.2. Every self-respecting bluetooth stack has the api we need--the microsoft stack on pocketpc does not give us an L2CAP API but I'd be surprised if palm overlooked this like MS did.
    I decided I needed to check on l2cap api calls and found some good news. One of the SDK demos has code that shows how to use l2cap. See the bottom of the page:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/blue...desamples.html

I didn't see examples for extending the stack, but you can think of A2DP and AVDTP as profiles that can be implemented in the stack or directly in your driver or application. In linux we currently do the latter and implement A2DP transmission entirely in a client application by calling up and using the RFCOMM and L2CAP connections appropriately.
    Is this the same across other OSs? I found a manual on the Apple implimentation of Bluetooth here
    <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/Bluetooth/BT_Bluetooth_On_MOSX/chapter_3_section_3.html>
    One of the things missing is the handsfree profile, which means that BT headsets can't pick up /hang up VOIP calls using the button on the headset. Could this be handled by the VOIP app?