Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    left and right you saw the list for the perfect treo upgrade-hi res, faster processor, wifi, 64 - 128 mb ram, bluetooth, etc.... these consumer demands were CLEAR AND PRESENT ALL OVER treocentral!!!
    Get ready for the "but we're power users" replies... http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/frown.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Oh but now 650 owners are not supposed to lose everything if their battery goes dead. A dead battery has never been a issue for me with my T600. For me that was a concern of the T300 days... The stronger battery life in the T600 was enough for me to always make it to a charger... They should have just put 64MB of the old style RAM in the 650 and been done with it...
    Yeah, I thought the same thing... Jack it up to 64 or 128, dont waste research time and money on the damn NVRAM, new filesystem, etc.. The 600 had plenty of battery.. Instead, just include some kinda backup software to use with a SD card for the people worried about data loss.
    What I don't undestand is why, when they upgraded the T3 to the T5 (which uses the same NVFS as the Treo 650), they went from 64Mb to 256Mb. They must have felt the extra was NECESSARY given the new file system architecture...

So how is it they felt the same 32Mb was going to be OK on the Treo??? The screen resolution and bluetooth is an upgrade over the 600, but the memory is a DOWNGRADE!!! One that compromises the usability of the entire device.

It is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE to have to rely on 3rd party apps running on external sd cards to solve this problem. Palm needs to fix this ASAP.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    I wonder if Walt Mossberg will ignore this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    What I don't undestand is why, when they upgraded the T3 to the T5 (which uses the same NVFS as the Treo 650), they went from 64Mb to 256Mb. They must have felt the extra was NECESSARY given the new file system architecture...

So how is it they felt the same 32Mb was going to be OK on the Treo??? The screen resolution and bluetooth is an upgrade over the 600, but the memory is a DOWNGRADE!!! One that compromises the usability of the entire device.

It is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE to have to rely on 3rd party apps running on external sd cards to solve this problem. Palm needs to fix this ASAP.
    PalmONe probably used the 256 MB Nand DiskOnChip from M-Systems for the T5. I presume they are probably using a 64 MB Nand chip on the Treo 650. It all depends on the total unit cost of these components and the price points a company is trying to achieve. Palmone would probably say that they had considerable research showing that the Treo 650 had to make a certian price point in order to be successful and that entail many tough decisions on features including Nand capacity etc. Many argue that the component cost may only be a few dollars ($6 bucks etc) or something, but often only a few dollars determine whether a device will be financially successful. In any case, I'm hopeful that PalmOne will release a patch to make the NVFS more efficient...lets see how they react...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I don't see moving apps to the SD card as a very appealing solution.
  7.    #47  
    Finally something good to report

palmOne this evening confirmed that the Treo 650 has a reduced effective memory size because of the new NVFS file system, and commits to a ROM upgrade that will help reduce the NVFS overhead. In addition, a free 128 MB SD card will be sent on request to Treo 650 users with memory management issues.

More here:
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/494-1.htm
    Well being a long time Treo owner I don't put too much faith in patches. In fact I wish I never installed the last Treo 600 patch!

But we shall see. One good thing is that you can get a free 128MB card if you buy before they release the patch. I'm sure although about 20% of users here have said they experienced problems, that the rate of people that "claim" to have problems for a 128MB SD card will be much higher .

This added expense is not good for P-1's bottom line.... Anybody else think the stock will go LOWER given this news?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    This added expense is not good for P-1's bottom line.... Anybody else think the stock will go LOWER given this news?
    No. 128MB cards are cheap, more so in bulk. Plus they're only giving them out on request, so I don't see it being a significant financial issue. The engineering time spent fixing the problem is more significant, but still won't be a major drain. The admission that this is in fact a problem, even if only for some users, is probably the worst but the issue has already been hitting them on Wall St. Maybe the admission will hurt them a bit more, maybe it won't because non-techs could see this response as adequate. It depends on whether Wall St. thinks this will still cost them sales, even with the response they gave.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123