Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here's another at http://smartphone.pdablast.com/artic...-Has-Less.html

Treo 650 Has Less Storage Effectively
    News
    By: pdaBlast! Staff
    November 22, 2004

Several recent reports have indicated that latest Treo 650 has less memory effectively, than its predecessor the Treo 600. MyTreo.net and Brighthand among others, are reporting a change in the way the operating system uses memory. The bottom line is that most users will see a 30% decrease in the amount of available memory.

The problem is the result of the way palmOne's latest devices allocate memory. Apparently, previous Palm OS models were more efficient about storing data. If a database entry was only 15 bytes long, it took up 15 bytes of memory. On the new Treo 650 the minimum size for a database entry is 512 bytes. This means that the 15-byte entry will actually take up a full 512 bytes of the Treo memory.

What does this mean for the user? It means that every file stored will require more memory and therefore users will effectively have less memory available.

Some developers are looking for a patch or some other work around. In the meantime, users will likely need to make use of external SD cards in higher numbers. Is the Treo 650 still worth it? I still like my Treo 600!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    AH - yes - the user survey that already has been posted as having been taken PRIOR to the launch of the TREO 650!

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=palmone

Time machine anyone?
    SV - no where in the thread you point to is there mention of this survey. They took "surveys". But no one said they took this one. Do you know something we don't? Please elaborate.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    SV - no where in the thread you point to is there mention of this survey. They took "surveys". But no one said they took this one. Do you know something we don't? Please elaborate.
    I think thats his point. P1 said before they launched the Treo 650 that they had done surveys of the current Treo 600 users and based on their surveys the memory was adequate. No one to my knowledge here ever reported participating in one
    Dear Treo 600 User,

We are conducting a short survey to find out how
    you are using the available memory on your smartphone.

We would very much appreciate your taking a few
    minutes to answer some questions. The survey will
    take you less than three minutes to complete.

Treo 600 User study:
    -> http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB223Y4FNMPP4

ALL information provided is strictly confidential to palmOne and
    will not be shared with any other party. Please note that Zoomerang
    is the service we have used to host this survey, but retains
    none of the results or responses.

Thank you for your time and effort.

We really appreciate it!

-- The palmOne Marketing Team"
    To me this look's like an effort by P1's Mkt Dep guys to save some jobs by re-establishing through a second survey their "original" stand about 32MB too much for the average user!!

I would love to see some HONEST results from this survey !

and I mean REAL HONEST ...
    Moderators, please make this post sticky. I think all Treo 600 users should be encouraged to respond to it. I did, even though I didn't get an email invitation, and it went through fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by maitreo
    To me this look's like an effort by P1's Mkt Dep guys to save some jobs by re-establishing through a second survey their "original" stand about 32MB too much for the average user!!
    I think you're 100% on the money here..

However, all the press on the dozens of "power user" websites will now discourage "average users" from buying the thing. So someone at P1 may be screwed either way
    Well, Looks like they probaly should have listened to us and some of thier tech guys too. The min requirment should have been 64meg. What idiots
    yeah this survay was TOTALLY to save face.

I can't believe This. it is HUGE. P1 might be done with alot of companies. They better fix this fast.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    p1 can offer a discounted update to 1 gig, then this wont be an issue for the next ten years well five years. I want my T 1G!
    I think the best we're gonna get is a T-cold shoulder

News
    November 22, 2004

"Headline Writer Impared Adjectivly"

Actually, when you think about it, that WAS a pretty effective way to have less storage -- never mind
    Two thoughts:

Even if most users won't be limited by the memory issue (and I'm not sure I agree with that assertion), this kind of press may force Palm's hand into doing some sort of upgrade. Bad press can be the kiss of death to a product, whether it's deserved or not.

And, the item about the duplicate databases is interesting. That may have as much to do with the size problem people are having with the contacts list as does the memory architecture. I'm not saying the memory architecture isn't an issue, but that the combination of the two factors is even more of an issue.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  12.    #32  
    bump.
    havent heard about any phone builder that "adjusted" a newly launched phone because of mishaps.

what the could do is offering a 650s or 650i some time soon, but not possible with the same serial name ... and all the contracts binding P1 with suppliers ... no easy way out!!!
    What boneheads.

All they had to do with the 600 was add Bluetooth, double the memory and put in a Hi-res screen to get a "new" phone to market.

News
    November 22, 2004

Several recent reports have indicated that latest Treo 650 has less memory effectively, than its predecessor the Treo 600. MyTreo.net and Brighthand among others, are reporting a change in the way the operating system uses memory. The bottom line is that most users will see a 30% decrease in the amount of available memory.

The problem is the result of the way palmOne's latest devices allocate memory. Apparently, previous Palm OS models were more efficient about storing data. If a database entry was only 15 bytes long, it took up 15 bytes of memory. On the new Treo 650 the minimum size for a database entry is 512 bytes. This means that the 15-byte entry will actually take up a full 512 bytes of the Treo memory.

What does this mean for the user? It means that every file stored will require more memory and therefore users will effectively have less memory available.

Some developers are looking for a patch or some other work around. In the meantime, users will likely need to make use of external SD cards in higher numbers. Is the Treo 650 still worth it? I still like my Treo 600!
  15.    #35  
    Now THIS IS BIG Bloomberg.com has something to say about this:

PalmOne Falls Amid Concern Treo 650 Can't Store as Much Data
    November 24, 2004 11:50 EST -- Shares of PalmOne Inc., the world's biggest maker of hand-held computers, fell as much as 9 percent amid speculation a new model of its popular Treo mobile phone can't store as much information.

More details here:

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...ws&tkr=PLMO:US

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    Now THIS IS BIG Bloomberg.com has something to say about this:

PalmOne Falls Amid Concern Treo 650 Can't Store as Much Data
    November 24, 2004 11:50 EST -- Shares of PalmOne Inc., the world's biggest maker of hand-held computers, fell as much as 9 percent amid speculation a new model of its popular Treo mobile phone can't store as much information.

More details here:

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...ws&tkr=PLMO:US

Al
    That's all she wrote! The issue is impacting their bottom line and is not just an issue in "Geek-land" but now with the main stream investor world!

P-1 is gonna have to do something and FAST!!!
    Holy S
    In less than 24 hours the stock is down $4!!!
    there's a left, and a right, and a hook! ... and down goes palm...

one.... two.... almost three dollars today!

palmone better come back with a combination, because this is a BIG TKO for their stock shares.... THIS WILL GET P1'S ATTENTION.

they talk about surveys.... you know, months before the rumors surfaced about the "ace" or "610", people here were asking for 64 mb ram all over the place!!

left and right you saw the list for the perfect treo upgrade-
    hi res, faster processor, wifi, 64 - 128 mb ram, bluetooth, etc.... these consumer demands were CLEAR AND PRESENT ALL OVER treocentral!!!

and for p1 to try and claim that their surveys found 32mb was MORE THAN ENOUGH!?
    embarrassing.

you know, I don't know why p1 enjoys putting EVERY DEVICE out there with features that have 3 to 4 of the features we need but lack at least 2 CRUCIAL capabilities
    we ALSO WANT!

I mean if one of us were heading p1, these implementations would be absolute NO-BRAINERS!!

I have been shaking my head at p1 for a good while now. someone at the company needs to be replaced with a more forward-thinking, ambitious individual.

its almost been like watching the red sox of old, they put out a near winner performance, but consistently blow it with some bonehead move at the last minute when it counts.

I think its time to let go of some of palmone's free agents and pick up some real closers or a star pitcher - so to speak, because its becoming very hard to stomach being a palmone fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    you know, months before the rumors surfaced about the "ace" or "610", people here were asking for 64 mb ram all over the place!!
    I was one of the many posters that made one or 2 threads about that subject .

I even posted a poll and a CLEAR MAJORITY of people that responded to the poll wanted more than 32MB of RAM. But now P-1's issues are bigger than just RAM size. The way they designed the hardware this time makes for several other hard-drive/memory related issues. Just giving us 64MB of RAM would have been enough, but instead they changed the architecture a bit and it's worse than before... Oh but now 650 owners are not supposed to lose everything if their battery goes dead. A dead battery has never been a issue for me with my T600. For me that was a concern of the T300 days... The stronger battery life in the T600 was enough for me to always make it to a charger... They should have just put 64MB of the old style RAM in the 650 and been done with it...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast