Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    For starters you can't spell! ##4771, but no, it doesn't work. Rest assured the gps screen is in the 650, but I haven't yet found how to activate it...
    Thanks, I meant the ##4771. I had just got it mixed up because I tried the brainstorm of 744 being a transposition of GPS (perhaps to hide it). Anyway, it's good news that the GPS screen is in there.
    Hi guys, I am the person that wrote the "shaftek.org" blog entry that you refered to before. Based on my digging around in the API, it seems that a server somewhere on Sprint's network provides the GPS information. If the address of that server can be extracted from the firmware, than it would be trivial to use it.
  4.    #24  
    The phone doesn't have any server set by default. You can view that via the QPST service tool (I'll have to get it on my site sometime). It's blank, but the interesting part is a option to set if the server calculates the position or the phone does...
  5.    #25  
    bmacfarland, it's possible that by registering for this you had your phone programmed with a server entry. Once I get the QPST on my site you could try and see if your phone has a server entry...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    bmacfarland, it's possible that by registering for this you had your phone programmed with a server entry. Once I get the QPST on my site you could try and see if your phone has a server entry...
    I tried the Sprint site tool. All it does is send some funky message via SMS. something like "CM OFF" and a large string. As far as I can tell the Treo has no reaction to it. HOWEVER, a different Sprint phone swallowed it silently. This leads me to suspect that JVMs on regular Sprint phones can be controlled via SMS, while the JVM on the the Treo cannot be since it does not come bundles with the JVM by default. Additionally, the PalmOne JVM is the same for all devices, whether GSM, CDMA, etc. which would lead me to believe that it is too generic to be controllable by specific carriers.
    The phone doesn't have any server set by default. You can view that via the QPST service tool (I'll have to get it on my site sometime). It's blank, but the interesting part is a option to set if the server calculates the position or the phone does...
    Hmm... I did some testing on Verizon's phones with GPS (not the Treo) but I haven't been able to find a single Sprint PCS phone on which my little J2ME GPS application worked. On Verizon phones, GPS information is available from the GPS testing menu (via ##4771), there is some kind of a default setting, althought its not an IP address. The GPS API provided by Qualcomm supports two types of protocols, an IP-based one and a second called "data burst messaging" or DBM. The default on Verizon phones is DBM which according to the API operates on the "data plane" rather than "the user plane" (something to do with the CDMA standard). Thus, the TCP/IP addresses are empty.

Additionally, from what I can glean from the documentation, the GPS stuff can operate either on the phone itself or from the network (ME or MS modes). The API mentions emergency calls as an example of something done over network, which leads me to believe that the E911 capability in the Treo is actually operating over the network as opposed to the phone itself, although I cannot be sure.

We should also keep in mind that on the developer forums it has been mentioned that the location API was changed recently, although Qualcomm did not update its website. For all we know, this information could be obsolete.
    The one to set your phone number, and your MSID is #######

Not sure if this was common knowledge, but I didn't see it here.
    Last edited by skydivewags; 01/13/2005 at 05:09 PM.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    The one to set your phone number, and your MSID is xxxxxx

Not sure if this was common nolage, but I didn't see it here.
    That is the code for YOUR phone, each phone has its own MSL (6 digits) which allows you to put in the phone number and MSID.
    Last edited by albertb; 01/13/2005 at 08:13 PM.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    The one to set your phone number, and your MSID is xxxxxx

Not sure if this was common knowledge, but I didn't see it here.
    Nope, thats the MSL code, every phone is different. That number works for YOUR phone and ONLY YOUR phone... Might want to remove it...
    Last edited by shadowmite; 01/13/2005 at 05:34 PM.
    OK, I removed it, but it's sitll in your posts guys.

Is that something someone can do dammage with?
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Hey, now that the Treo 650 Java is available, you think we can get around not having the server's IP?!?!
    I just still can't believe 8778 is a ## code. People, be careful with that one. From there you could corrupt your phone with the wrong command/button sequence. A press of the reset button will get you back.

I think it stands for UPST - Upload/update Programming/provisioning service tool...
    does anyone else out there play around with this mode much? we have been experimenting with it the last week or so in our tech room, trying to do a variety of things with the phone in this mode. i have heard that you can delineate your contacts into a form which can be passed into non-pda handsets through this mode. just curious if anyone else has had success with this or anything else in this mode.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12