Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Bummer!
    -----------
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellp...ing-026107.php


    Consumer logic dictates that the Treo 650 should be a country mile better than the Treo 600, right? At least in terms of key specs like memory. But some eagle-eyed users are claiming that PalmOne's playing some serious sleight-of-hand with the 650's storage. Treonauts does the math, and it ain't pretty: "Existing users will have 30 percent less memory to use when compared to the Treo 600, thus bringing the 'true' user-available memory down to only 16MB."

    Ouch. I guess there's no smart-phone-storage corollary to Moore's Law, huh?
    robert
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by robcalvert
    Bummer!
    -----------
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellp...ing-026107.php


    Consumer logic dictates that the Treo 650 should be a country mile better than the Treo 600, right? At least in terms of key specs like memory. But some eagle-eyed users are claiming that PalmOne's playing some serious sleight-of-hand with the 650's storage. Treonauts does the math, and it ain't pretty: "Existing users will have 30 percent less memory to use when compared to the Treo 600, thus bringing the 'true' user-available memory down to only 16MB."

    Ouch. I guess there's no smart-phone-storage corollary to Moore's Law, huh?

    Thats why I didnt buy the weak treo 650 and bought the 650 stomper. ppc6601
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by robcalvert
    Bummer!
    -----------
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellp...ing-026107.php


    Consumer logic dictates that the Treo 650 should be a country mile better than the Treo 600, right? At least in terms of key specs like memory. But some eagle-eyed users are claiming that PalmOne's playing some serious sleight-of-hand with the 650's storage. Treonauts does the math, and it ain't pretty: "Existing users will have 30 percent less memory to use when compared to the Treo 600, thus bringing the 'true' user-available memory down to only 16MB."

    Ouch. I guess there's no smart-phone-storage corollary to Moore's Law, huh?

    Actually, it's not a weakling...it's a TIME TRAVEL machine.

    As I commented last week, F1 has gone back to the future and reversed Moore's law.

    Great Scott!
  4. #4  
    Interesting comment

    Quote:

    So who will be affected by this? Some people have argued that the only ones who will suffer are a minority of 'power users' who have 'too many installed applications' but I strongly disagree with this view as some Treo 650 owners have reported maxing their memory with as few as five applications which hardly qualifies them as power users. Yet others have quite rightly pointed out that the mere fact of owning a Treo by definition makes you a power user. It is therefore becoming evident that anybody who would like to have the freedom to exploit the full potential of their Treo 650 is affected. As it stands, this freedom has been seriously curtailed
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pierreb
    Interesting comment

    Quote:

    So who will be affected by this? Some people have argued that the only ones who will suffer are a minority of 'power users' who have 'too many installed applications' but I strongly disagree with this view as some Treo 650 owners have reported maxing their memory with as few as five applications which hardly qualifies them as power users. Yet others have quite rightly pointed out that the mere fact of owning a Treo by definition makes you a power user. It is therefore becoming evident that anybody who would like to have the freedom to exploit the full potential of their Treo 650 is affected. As it stands, this freedom has been seriously curtailed

    Dont forget also that the 650 laggs for a second switching between applications.
    Thats worser than the 600.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Dont forget also that the 650 laggs for a second switching between applications.
    Thats worser than the 600.
    The 650 lags MORE than the 600 in app switching.

    You're kidding, right?
  7. #7  
    he's not. there's a lot of lag in the 650. when you dial a number out or from the contacts...lag.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Thats worser than the 600.
    worser?
    Ryan
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by StngStr
    worser?
    I was thinking the same thing.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by robcalvert
    Bummer!
    -----------
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellp...ing-026107.php


    Consumer logic dictates that the Treo 650 should be a country mile better than the Treo 600, right? At least in terms of key specs like memory. But some eagle-eyed users are claiming that PalmOne's playing some serious sleight-of-hand with the 650's storage. Treonauts does the math, and it ain't pretty: "Existing users will have 30 percent less memory to use when compared to the Treo 600, thus bringing the 'true' user-available memory down to only 16MB."

    Ouch. I guess there's no smart-phone-storage corollary to Moore's Law, huh?
    To many the memory thing is not that big of a deal. I am a long time Nextel user and I got the Treo 650 just for email and it works great. Not all of us are concerned about cramming our device with more programs than we will ever use. As far as the lag, does not bother me here, I don't even use the phone.

    DONE|
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    he's not. there's a lot of lag in the 650. when you dial a number out or from the contacts...lag.
    unbelievable....

    what, this is F1 we're talking about.

    sad, but believable.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    unbelievable....

    what, this is F1 we're talking about.

    sad, but believable.
    Sorry if I'm being stupid...but what exacly do you mean when you say "F1" I've seen others use it too but I can't figure it out from context.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by StngStr
    worser?
    The lag on my Treo650 is definitely worse then it was on my ANCIENT Kyocera 6035!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    Sorry if I'm being stupid...but what exacly do you mean when you say "F1" I've seen others use it too but I can't figure it out from context.
    F1 is a term I coined in reference to P1.

    But PalmOne, with their troublesome 650 release, has been renamed by me to F1, as in F*****One.

    I'll let you use your imagination....

    Hint: it's not "FrostyOne"
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    The lag on my Treo650 is definitely worse then it was on my ANCIENT Kyocera 6035!
    I really don't want to be hearing this...

    First, we get the old BT 1.1
    Second, we get less effective memory
    Third, we get worse app switching speed than the 600

    What's next? Poor mic quality?

    Opps...we have that too.

    JFCOAC....
  16. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #16  
    Surely I hope that the people that are posting these "flaws" about the 650 ACTUALY HAVE ONE!!!! Because I am not seeing any of these problems on my 650. Works like a charm!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  17. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Thats why I didnt buy the weak treo 650 and bought the 650 stomper. ppc6601
    You should have plenty of free memory since there are very few PPC apps to install
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  18. #18  
    It is very slow switching between apps, so much so you wonder if you need to hit the button again, and then sometimes hang up a call by mistake, or make other errors due to it running slowly... Also when I turn my unit on from having the screen off, I see a red flash every time... kind of annoying...

    I am using a program called “power-run” www.simple-palm.com that I got from "wee bit obsessed" at the NYC Treo Road show... It has enabled me to be pretty complacent about the memory issue, as it tricks the palm into thinking that apps stored on the memory card are actually in RAM. I would highly recommend it to every 650 user. It will save you from having to pick and choose among apps, and is very fast to run the majority of programs...



  19. #19  
    Fittske:

    I have 3 treo 650s (until the return kit comes through). I can attest to the existence of most flaws/design mistakes posted here. If you are unable to verify at least the memory flaw yet, then you haven't tested it much. Load (or try to load) about 18MB into internal memory. Perhaps you are the lone exception, but I bet yours won't make it, either.

    We'll wait for your results (and some sort of proof to counter the abundant evidence in other threads).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Thats why I didnt buy the weak treo 650 and bought the 650 stomper. ppc6601
    This peddling of the 6601 in every thread is quite funny. The PPC has its own problems of stability, let alone its larger, heavier form factor (and that with it closed!). I wouldn't want to be walking around with such a long slab of a device typing on it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions