Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Apparently he thinks if he says it enough, this will catch on and the world will be slightly richer in the "juvenile insults" column.
    Kurt,

Now we go a back a ways, and I've always had respect for ya, but let's not go down this path...
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    And what does being left OR right have to do with the price of Treo650s in Bali? Absolutely nothing, and it had absolutely nothing to do with this argument, either, yet you see fit to make it an issue. Why you're grapsing at straws like this, I have no idea, but it's damned amusing.
    But it's not as amusing as your blog posts... ;-)
    One thing we forget with the whole "just get memory card and use Zluancher" stuff is that having to use an SD card for apps can really kill the battery life.

Haven't heard that mentioned; must be too early / needs testing.
    Can someone point me to where P1 says that the Treo 650 has "the same amount of usable memory as the 600"? I mean, specifically that statement: because, that's what the "misrepresentation" seems to be about.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Actually, no, you NEVER get the advertized space on such a drive as long as you're on Windows or Unix. In fact Dalai Lama, you have been putting up with the same "misrepresentation" that you accuse Palm1 of for years.

Remember that NTFS, FAT32 and the file storage systems in Unix divide the drive up into allocation units, or blocks. Depending the size of the drive, those blocks can get pretty large, typically 4KB and sometimes up to 16k each. Yes, a 1 KB file can truly take up to 16KB of space on a drive.
    (goodness knows you haven't missed the few gigabytes you've lost on your 40-250 GB HD).
    Palm is a handheld device with very scarce resources because of physical limitations such as battery life, size, weight, etc. You are using analogy to hard drives, which really doesn't apply here as in the Palm case the "hard drive" would be the SD card. You must compare it to the RAM in the Desktop box. Now, you can always use "virtual memory" on the desktop - swapping bytes onto and off of the hard drive just to get by. (Many PalmOS users know this workaround well). But the better solution by far is to just add sufficient RAM to do the tasks you normally need to do (and expect to do during the life of that machine). As PalmOne does not offer any option to "ramp up" the RAM later on, we rely on them to ship their units with appropriate levels of RAM for the lifetime of the Treo (a year?). There are far too many useful products for the Treo now that make choosing 20MB including all the data (pictures and movies and sounds, too...). What do you think you will need in 3 months if software development for this platform continues? What if you decide it would be cool to use the bluetooth for GPS? Sorry- you're hosed because your application needs the maps to be in RAM and you have none unless you choose to kill off your address book.....

PalmOne is in complete denial on this, and they even told me "if you need additional memory for these devices to store additional programs or additional data, you can purchase SD memory cards that can expand your memory..." IMHO that skirts the corners of fraud: representing to customers that adding SD cards will take care of the needs of data and applications that need to run in internal memory. Either they are fools, or they know they have a HUGE problem and believe they can "shine on" inquisitive customers long enough to get these units past the point where you can't return them. (Not everyone reads TreoCentral, and even if they did they'd have to dig down a bit to lear about this issue, as it's been known for many days but never listed on the home page http://treocentral.com/ ). I understand they want to promote it, and it's great they let us discover and workout and discuss the implications of this issue here, but how about acknowledging it as most sites around the web have done?

Maybe this is all a plan to sell more PDAs, as we will need to carry around another one for our address books, games, other stuff that can be offline. Convergence...? Nope, just trying to sell you 2 PalmOS devices, sucker.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    I think you give too much credit to P1. Their next smartphone will truly demonstrate their abilities. The 650 just leverages too much of HS work and innovation to truly demonstrate what P1 can do.
    Yup, you'll have to look at the Tungsten W to see a demonstration of Palm/One's capabilities in a "smartphone." That little gem really shows the "outside of the box" thinking of Palm/One. The "no microphone" feature of this cell phone was truly revolutionary - surprised that no other phone manufacturer stole that idea.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Yup, you'll have to look at the Tungsten W to see a demonstration of Palm/One's capabilities in a "smartphone." That little gem really shows the "outside of the box" thinking of Palm/One. The "no microphone" feature of this cell phone was truly revolutionary - surprised that no other phone manufacturer stole that idea.
    Actually, Blackberry did. They quickly woke up though and we haven't seen that "feature" since.
    Preach on, Brother Joad!

You are the hammer hitting the nail the head.
  9.    #109  
    Oh well. It's Tuesday night and no announcement from PalmOne. I guess that makes me a former customer. Don't bother to post "who cares" messages.

I am truly disappointed that they couldn't at least make some sort of public announcment to the effect that they realize there is a memory problem and they are working on a solution. I think they have had ample time to do so.

This is probably a good time to short PalmOne stock.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    This is probably a good time to short PalmOne stock.
    Looks like that's true...big drop today after a steady climb...profit takers or news getting out...
  11.    #111  
    http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/w?s=PLMO

It could be profit taking, as the price had been run up a little since late last week. It could be folks bailing out after the first bad reports started reaching the more mainstream outlets.

Look at the posts on this board, and compare them to those concerning the Treo 600 when it was first released. Most of the 600's problems appear to have been due to manufacturing errors, and did not show up until weeks or months after the introduction. There were some limitations (SMS, etc) that were covered by firmware fixes. The Treo 650 seems to be having a lot of fundamental problems right out of the box. Based on the postings here, I would guess this affects 10-20% of users in some form. Add this to the misrepresented memory and you have a real disaster for PalmOne.

It's a really sad day for all of us, except perhaps for SeldomVisitor.
    It's a really sad day for all of us, except perhaps for SeldomVisitor.
    You keep making these irrelevant snide remarks about another poster (...) that are grounded in pure crap.

I do not WANT to see PalmOne die an untimely death; I expect to see it die an untimely death.

Do you ken the difference?

Other than an in-your-face prediction elsewhere a few years ago about HAND in response to poster-bashers who didn't like it when I posted:

== "The TREO 180 is too expensive so will be bought only by those
    == on the far right of the bell-curve of cellphone buyers - the geeks
    == and rich" (*)

I have in no way suggested that PalmOne SHOULD die an untimely death.

I just think it will.

Looks like a lot of others are beginning to think so, too, eh?

[btw - I never hold a stock trading position overnight nor do I have anything against going LONG in PLMO-the-stock thus the pure poster-bashing crap that suggests I have a FINANCIAL stake in seeing PLMO-the-company go away are simply...well...crap]

========

(*) [btw - that prediction was made MONTHS before the TREO 180 was available and was excruciatingly correct - sold-in 47,000, sold-through 13,000 the first month and a half it was available; next quarter (3 months) sold-in 46,000 and sold-through 26,000 (plus or minus) or ONLY about 9000/month]
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/24/2004 at 06:26 AM.
  13.    #113  
    Oh, c'mon, Seldom, we pariahs of the board have to stick together!

I "ken" the difference, but I base my "perhaps" statement on the fact that the vast majority of your 1600+ posts are quite negative about PalmOne. I don't claim to have read (or reread) all of them, but I don't recall offhand anything particularly supportive, or even anything suggesting that if PalmOne does thus-and-so, they might do better.

Forgive my puerile curiosity, but DO you own any PalmOne stock?
    Has anyone emailed Peter recently?
    don't recall offhand anything particularly supportive
    Then you need to read a little more!
    Forgive my puerile curiosity, but DO you own any PalmOne stock?
    I would not own PLMO as an investment - obviously. Also obviously (also based on this):

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=112

since it is 09:09 (preMarket) the answer is moot, no?
    Apps on a memory card? Zlauncher? Give me a break. Looking for ways around a screw up by P1 as it pertains to the memory issue is unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    Apps on a memory card? Zlauncher? Give me a break. Looking for ways around a screw up by P1 as it pertains to the memory issue is unacceptable.

Amen, Brother JTreo.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    Unacceptable from the point of view of holding P1 accountable. I agree.

Not unreasonable as a way around the situation while we are waiting on P1. Some people want to make the unit workable for them while they wait, rather than send it back. I, personally, don't think its unreasonable to accept that.

I am NOT letting P1 off the hook.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Haven't the 600 owners been looking for ways around screwups for a year now (camera tweaks, voice recording, blue tooth, etc). What's wrong with trying to fix stuff? Why be content with mistakes?
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Haven't the 600 owners been looking for ways around screwups for a year now (camera tweaks, voice recording, blue tooth, etc). What's wrong with trying to fix stuff? Why be content with mistakes?

Agreed, Kurt. And what is wrong with expecting PalmOne to repair their colossal mistake?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast