Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 130
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd

    We need Palm to hear it's customers who have valid concerns and opinions. So, would those of you that seem to want to debate the purpose of this thread, please find another............maybe create one entitled, I just want to argue or something.
    That's the thing though, PalmOne has acknowledged that there is a problem and they are working on a solution.
    Yet people are still making new threads complaining that P1 isn't doing anything and everything else, seemingly just to complain.
    It seems like at least half of the complainers don't even have the phone yet so I'm wondering if they're really either complaining to make everyone miserable or are just miffed because they're jealous they didn't get theirs yet.
    Last edited by Primate; 11/22/2004 at 12:42 AM.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Your world must be so easy to live in. If a driver has bugs, in your world I guess you can just go "ZAP! It's fixed" and it's all done, right?

    They said they are working on it. That means the problem is complex and doens't have an immediate soltuion, but one is under development. If you're not happy with that, there's a return policy. Use it.
    First, your arrogent tone is not appreciated. Without this "whiner group" as you call them, P1 would probably not be looking into the fix. And as I stated above, if someone isnt happy with the phone, they should return the damn thing. Did you skip over that?

    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    *sigh* For the third time. Once upon a time, people wanted nonvolatile memory, being VERY unhappy with the idea that if your Treo's battery dies, you lose the data on there, sometimes permanently if you haven't had a chance to sync up.

    The immedaite fix to this is to use industry standard techniques for near-line and off-line storage. That involves allocation blocks, which often use up a little more space than is necesary. Ineligant, but given the demand, it's an off the shelf solution that could be implemented immediately rather than working something more complex into the OS, which would mean longer development times (and we all saw how impateitn everyone was to get the damn thing).

    Now, this is THEORY, and I'm basing this theory on what I know about static memory. The actual reasons could be very very different. But based on what I've seen, the above explanation is the most logical one.

    Should it have been done? Probably not, and I'm not going to defend that it WAS done. But people wanted it, and they wanted it NOW. So this is what they got as a result. Now, those same people aren't happy, and I'm not so sure they really ever will be no matter what Palm does.
    *sigh* Did you ever have a Visor? Remember that it had some alkaline batteries powering it? I do.

    I also remember that I had about 30 seconds to a minute to change the batteries before everything would have been gonzo.

    I also know that I have a T600, and that I HAVE NEVER lost all of my data becuase the battery ran down.


    Its ginchy to have the removable battery, but I wouldnt have given up 30% of my ram for it. Call me a whiner. I dont care.
  3. #43  
    Originally Posted by scaredpoet: No, it underscores it very clearly. There was a demand for nonvolatile solution for memory storage. And current models for NV storage give you THIS. The result? People got NV storage finally, but it came with a price, and now some people are crying because they can't have their cake and eat it, too.
    What I meant was that the comments about the hard drive memory size confused the issue about "misrepresentation" by Palm1. If Palm1 had discussed this compromise on their site during the announcement then people who wanted to buy the T650 could decide if the compromised memory was an issue for them. There are plenty of posts here in TC that indicate the early buyers are surprised by the memory issues they are having.

    I agree with the posts that say to give Palm1 some time to come up with a fix. Setting dollar figures to compensate early adopters might be a bit premature. It would be enough for me if Palm1 came up with a solution for T650 to have it be able to synch from earlier Treos. I, for one, am willing to let this situation work itself out over the next few weeks and still want to get a T650 when the memory issue is resolved.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Actually, no, you NEVER get the advertized space on such a drive as long as you're on Windows or Unix. In fact Dalai Lama, you have been putting up with the same "misrepresentation" that you accuse Palm1 of for years..
    In your zeal to disprove anything I say, you overlooked the main point I was trying to make with that entire paragraph:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    We are all well aware of the fact that a 100 GB hard drive doesn't really offer you 100 GB of usable space. However, if I buy one from Seagate, or Western Digital, or Quantum, or Hitachi, or IBM, I expect to get at least roughly the same amount of usable drive space. Because of the block issue, the quoted memory of the Treo 650 is EFFECTIVELY less than expected, based on the experience with the Treo 600. It should have been slightly less than that of the 600; in practice, it is considerably less. There was no reason to believe that a different measuring stick had to be used with the 650 than with the 600...
    You agree that there is a problem, scared......

    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    They said they are working on it. That means the problem is complex and doens't have an immediate soltuion, but one is under development. If you're not happy with that, there's a return policy. Use it....

    And yet you continue to rant about my ranting! Sorry, I don't see where you are coming from. You, and Rome, and Albert and Cluemeister have been (rather rudely) disputing what I have had to say. (I guess Shadowmite must be away from his desk; I'll certainly enjoy what he has to add.....perhaps he will have yet a new name for me.)

    I will turn your own advice back at you: If you are thrilled with the device, keep it and enjoy it. And do not accept any remedy PalmOne might choose (or be forced to choose), since your level of satisfaction is so great. I can't understand why my little campaign is bothering you so. Let's see, you have denied being PalmOne employees. Now, do you perhaps own some PalmOne stock?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp

    Well looky looky. Another "restaurant" has been open for quite a while. Or are you unhappy with them too, thus illustrating my point that some people won't be happy with anything at all?
    This other restaraunt charges me $15 more a month to eat there. If that were not the fact, I would be eating there right now.

    As soon as my contract is up with Sprint, I proabably will pickup a PDA2k and head on over to Cing/Att. For right now, T650 begrudingly here I come...
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    Hey Everybody let's play a game.

    If you work for PalmOne clap your hands...T.R.E.O....If you work for PalmOne clap your hands...T.R.E.O...If you work for PalmOne and you think the TREO is perfect then your posts will really show it If you work for PalmOne clap your hands...T.R.E.O...!!!

    Al
    By that logic I could say that everyone bashing the new Treo must be a Microsoft employee.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    First, your arrogent tone is not appreciated.
    The only conceiveable reason I can think of for you assuming that my tone is "arrogant" is because I disagree with you. I'm sorry you feel that way.

    Without this "whiner group" as you call them, P1 would probably not be looking into the fix.
    And I salute the people who complained. THANK YOU. Now that they are looking into it, please tell me what useful purpose there is in contuning these threads and continuing to rehash the same complaints.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    You agree that there is a problem, scared......

    And yet you continue to rant about my ranting! Sorry, I don't see where you are coming from.
    And sadly, I don't think you ever will.
  9. #49  
    Primate wrote: By that logic I could say that everyone bashing the
    new Treo must be a Microsoft employee.
    A valid point. Hopefully people will stop getting personal with the attacks here.

    One thing I am wondering though, doesn't Palm1 have any "power users" in their Beta testing program that would have seen the memory issue when they were using the T650 during testing? One has to wonder what they knew and just thought it wouldn't a problem for the average Joe pda user.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    The only conceiveable reason I can think of for you assuming that my tone is "arrogant" is because I disagree with you. I'm sorry you feel that way.
    Actually it was the *sigh* that really tipped it to the arrogant side of the see-saw. No biggie though...

    Im glad you complimented the "whiners" -- at least this board isnt totally hostile toward them.
  11. #51  
    You didn't answer my question though. Two days ago, Palm1 ackowledged the problem. So why continue to complain if the complaints have been heard and acknowledged? That's the issue here. The people who have been called whiners are being called so because they don't seem to know when enough is enough.

    At this point, the issue has been beaten to death, beyond any useful discourse and yet they still continue. Is this how they act in real life? If so, I cringe at what society has come to.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    You didn't answer my question though.
    The second these threads go away is the second that P1 drops the issue.

    "It looks like they are over it now. Lets go back to something else."

    Feet to the fire...


    And this issue isn't an example of society in general. The people who frequent this board arn't an example of society in general.
  13. #53  
    That still answers nothing, but I guess that means there is no rational answer at all. Thanks anyway.
  14.    #54  
    Senor_JT has PM'ed me with the suggestion that quoting scaredpoet's blog demeans my credibility. He is correct. I have deleted the entry, and apologise for this action. At 2AM after continuous attacks and namecalling, I wasn't thinking straight.
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; 11/22/2004 at 07:10 AM.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    That still answers nothing, but I guess that means there is no rational answer at all. Thanks anyway.
    I just put away my hand puppets... I'm not sure how to make it any clearer.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    An interesting tidbit from scaredpoet.com. Some interesting poetry there, too. At least you managed to keep your politics off of this board. No wonder your level of satisfaction is so great, you being so depressed over the election and all. By the way, I do think "bluejacking" isn't quite legal, so do be careful......
    Dalai, you have just taken "personal attack" to a whole new level by bringing my politicial views into the discussion without me even mentioning them, and without them having any relevance whatsoever to the issue at hand. Thank you, SO MUCH, for proving me right yet again.

    By the way, when you quote something, you should attribute the source. URL will suffice, thusly:

    http://www.scaredpoet.com/wordpress/index.php?p=170

    See, I am perfectly fine with what I do online and off. So please, don't make yourself to be so childish by attempting to bring up "dirt" on me in an attempt to discredit. Especially when I dont' see it as "dirt" at all.
  17.    #57  
    I do believe I have proven you "left" rather than "right". You provided the link to your blog; all one has to do is click your name. I have no blog at the moment. I wanted to see what drives you. If I have attacked you by posting something that is on the front page of your blog, then I apologise. If you wish, I will remove it from my post. But I would advise you not to place things in public places that you don't want to be seen. And again, bluejacking is not quite legal, is it?


    Note: I have removed my reference to the blog at the suggestion of Senor_JT. Again, my apologies.
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; 11/22/2004 at 07:11 AM.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    I do believe I have proven you "left" rather than "right".
    And what does being left OR right have to do with the price of Treo650s in Bali? Absolutely nothing, and it had absolutely nothing to do with this argument, either, yet you see fit to make it an issue. Why you're grapsing at straws like this, I have no idea, but it's damned amusing.
  19. #59  
    Can we get back on topic?

    I guess we'll know what they plan to do about it in.... ?
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    Can we get back on topic?

    I guess we'll know what they plan to do about it in.... ?
    Sorry, apologies to all.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions