Page 1 of 31 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, the sound quality of voice quality on Treo650 was much much better than my old Treo300. I don't have any complain about it. But many people I talked said they couldn't hear well what I was saying. They said it sounded like the voice was chopped off like when you don't have enough reception or when you are in tunnel.

I actually tried to call my home phone, and check the sound from home phone. (I was talking to Treo650, and receiving my own voice from home phone. Alone...)

I think too high noise cancelling level on Treo is causing the problem. (I get same kind of chopped off sound when I use to much noise cancelling filter on sound files on computer)

Anybody thinks this can be fixed by a software update or something in the future? Or maybe a Bluetooth headset (or any other headsets) might help? The cheap headset that came with Treo didn't help much. Some said it was a bit better than built-in mic though. How is everybody thinking about the voice quality on the other end?
    say it isn't so! same thing on mine. the person on other end could barely hear me. I thought it was because of signal but maybe not. who the f u k tests these dang phones?!
    I've talked to several people while using my Bluetrek G2 headset, and they all say I'm clear as a bell. When talking directly into the 650, sans any handsfree devices, I have to repeat myself a lot.

So I just stick with the BT headset, despite the frequent static (another issue).
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    So we can add a poor microphone to the list of problems? I really wanted one of these but if the PDA doesn't really work because of a lack of memory and the phone doesn't really work because of a poor microphone ... what are we left with?
  5.    #5  
    That's a good news that Bluetrek G2 helps. I guess static noise is ok (or at least much better than voice being chopped off!) coz they still can hear what I'm saying in most of cases. Anybody else using Bluetrek G2 and finding the sound is betther with it?

I think I'll be getting Bluetrek G2 soon...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsey
    So we can add a poor microphone to the list of problems? I really wanted one of these but if the PDA doesn't really work because of a lack of memory and the phone doesn't really work because of a poor microphone ... what are we left with?
    Good thing is both problems can be fixed (or find a way around) by some sort of software treatments.
    Not 100% sure about mic quality, but if it's because of the noise cancelling level, there must be a way to fix it by firmware update or something.

Of course all these are depending on how palmOne is thinking about existing customers.
    This bears some further testing by more TreoCentral folks, to get a decent sampling. A bad/misaligned DSP could be really irritating. I don't think this could be fixed with user-installable firmware, but I could be wrong about that.
    poor mic, poor memory, empty promises - gosh, was really looking forward to getting that phone
    I am having the same problem. The first call I made on it, my best friend, audio fanatic, and sound board operator, said my voice sounded more digitized. I just now got off the phone with another friend that said it sounded like bad digital reception, but we both had good signal, and his voice sounded perfect to me. But insted of missing complete words, he said it was like almost every word was getting clipped. This needs to be fixed. Is their a number for Palm1 we can call?............ I called the number on their site, and it sent me to Sprint.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Does this ever end. I am beginning to hope they don't release GSM at this point.
    Having to purchase an SD card and Zlaunch as a memory work around is one, but ALSO having to get a headset in order to use the phone is another. I personal don't like using headsets. That's just my preference. It's ridiculous if I need one for this to work properly as a phone.

I really hope that this is a defect with some of the initial units off the line and that it's fixed by the time they start shipping a GSM model because I REALLY want to get a 650 but this would be an absolute deal-breaker from me.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    I am having the same problem. The first call I made on it, my best friend, audio fanatic, and sound board operator, said my voice sounded more digitized. I just now got off the phone with another friend that said it sounded like bad digital reception, but we both had good signal, and his voice sounded perfect to me. But insted of missing complete words, he said it was like almost every word was getting clipped. This needs to be fixed. Is their a number for Palm1 we can call?............ I called the number on their site, and it sent me to Sprint.
    Yikes. Any more people that can confirm this issue? Anyone out there who can say definitively that they aren't experiencing this?

This would be a killer. If the memory thing doesn't kick palmOne in the pants, this sure will, because the carriers will be screaming at them as loudly as we will.
    So far I have not been able to reproduce this problem. I have called and left myself messages on my office vmail and they all play back fine. My wife used her 650 for an hour long call today and she said that the other person never mentioned any issues or had her repeat anything.

I will be using it a lot on Monday and will report back if I have any problems.

ctdw
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctdw
    So far I have not been able to reproduce this problem. I have called and left myself messages on my office vmail and they all play back fine. My wife used her 650 for an hour long call today and she said that the other person never mentioned any issues or had her repeat anything.

I will be using it a lot on Monday and will report back if I have any problems.

ctdw
    Actually I made a new personal notification for my voice mail box from 650, and it sounded just fine. The problem comes up sometimes while other time there are non. I don't think it's depending on the reception since some mentioned that they had good reception when they were having the problem.

God, this one has to be fixed!!
    Last edited by coelacanth; 11/22/2004 at 12:16 AM.
    I got the same complaint when speaking to a friend last night when I was on my 650. She said it sounded hollow and "echo-y", like I was on speakerphone almost, but I wasnt. She sounded clear as a bell to me, so it sounds like its the microphone as the problem. Hopefully its an easy fix...
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Anyone else having this issue?

Mods - can we make this thread sticky?
    Voice mails left by myself to me also sounded OK. Perhaps it may depend on where you are in the country in terms of service, signal strength and environment around you (background noise, car, wind etc). The noise cancelling code may indeed need tweaking.
    First call I made I was told that it sounded choppy like y'all are describing. I turned the volume down on the phone and that seemed to help.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bael
    I turned the volume down on the phone and that seemed to help.
    That's interesting. Does this work for anyone else? Perhaps the sensitivity of the microphone's noise clipping is proportional to the volume of the phone.

Maybe it assumes that if you've turned up the volume there's a lot of background noise and so should make the mic less sensitive which leads to clipping?
    multiple calls in a variety of settings, not using a mic have had all on the other end say the quality of the voice was excellent.
Page 1 of 31 12345611 ... LastLast