Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    I talk on the phone quite a bit and my office manager and other individuals have mentioned that they had a hard time hearing me on the 650 which i never experienced with the 600. If i use the bluetooth headset jabra bt250 it seams to work much better but that seems to get a lot of static in different locations that i am in. The battery life is rough since i can't make it through a whole day now. Another item is the connector on the bottom they changed this so the car installed kit no longer works. THey don't have a care kit available yet besides a bt option. The 600 car kit is nice since the phone has a nice cradle to sit in and charge.
    I've only posted here a couple times in the last couple years, but I was reading this thread and thought of the time when I had an especially hard time holding a conversation. (BTW, don't know if this has already been mentioned cause I'm on my phone and haven't read the entire thread). My dad also has a 650, and the other day I was talking to him while we both happened to be driving (both in cars with very minimal road noise), it was pretty much impossible to hold a conversation with him. He was complaining that he couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear half the stuff he was saying either. I guess because we were both on 650s and because we both had minor background noise, we couldn't even talk to each other! does anyone know if palm plans to address this issue as I'm in the middle of bidding a deal that involves setting up Texas DPS with about 60 650s with a sprint business account. Considering the fact that they are always in their cars ans will constantly be talking to each other, this microphone issue will never fly. Any input on this issue would be appreciated. thanks, Colin
    i just talked to a friend who just got the 650. the sound on my end was definately poor. I could hear all kinds of background noise. I won't say that it is totaly unacceptable but for a "new" phone is sucks and is not acceptable.
    Sound quality issue mentioned in Slashdot review:

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/12/0...id=100&tid=215
    I had the exact same problem the first few days when I had the phone but it was not consistent - seemed to be the worst when I was in a car. The other side said that the sound was as if I was in a tunnel or as if the volume was turned up too high. No idea what I did to fix it but it's been working fine after the first few days. This is my first Treo and while I am really happy with it overall in terms of the amazing feature set, the annoying problems like the sound issue, the battery cover not sitting snug, versamail not autosyncing, memory issues/delay while dialing, and possible bluetooth issues cannot be overlooked. I hope P1 can fix these in the near future - will be getting a replacement when all these issues have been fixed.

Update: Actually now that I think about it, the sound issue is not fixed. I was at a bar this past friday and a friend on the other end couldn't understand a word I was saying - walked outside and she could hear me fine. So, the issue seems somewhat resolved in a car but loud enviroments are still a problem!
    Last edited by Menhir; 12/06/2004 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Adding comments
    Has there been any word from Sprint or P1 on this issue yet? My Treo 650 is arriving at the end of this week. I want to know whether this problem will be fixed or not. This will be my only phone (no landline) so I really need it to work well as one.
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000100022690/

It looks like the word is finally getting out on this. Hopefully it will push Sprint/P1 to do something now.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    i am so happy that word is getting out. i have ordered a new unit via PalmOne's DOA program. Basically they send out a replacement unit.

Well its been two weeks and everytime i need to talk to someone about this to expedite this i get a new story.

Palm One do you guys want to say anything to your loyal followers who plopped down 600 bucks to buy this TREO thing. The sound quality is my issue.

I am sure they wont say anything because if they do its a big recall..

EVERYONE SHOULD RETURN THEIR UNITS AND BUY NEW ONES UNTIL THEY GET ONE THAT WORKS.

THAT IS WHAT I HAVE DEDUCED. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE, IT WILL JUST **** YOU OFF MORE

RETURN AND REPLACE
    Mine went back as well due to sound quality problems. I wasn't about to get another 650 though since I need my phone to actually work. If it wasn't for the sound quality, I'd still have it.
    Sound quality on phone calls hasn't been an issue. However; I did go to a sweet sixteen this weekend and decided to try out the camera/vid cam. The sound quality; there wasn't any! Horrible; indestinguishable. I couldn't tell what song was playing. The video quality was unbearable. I am not satisfied with the picture quality for the regular stills from the camera. After reading through all of these posts; there's no doubt in my mind; the built in mic sucks. I say they can't fix this one with software. I see a mic accessory coming soon and it's not going to be for free. Would be nice to see a multimedia kit with the following included: A clip on flash or light to improve stills and recorded video would be nice as well as a boom type, or improved two way microphone.

Palm One owes it's customers an explanation and a swift resolution!
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2468
    Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but on top of the sound quality, has anyone noticed significant lag in the phone features such as speed dialing and redialing a contact from your call history? Trying the speed dial for VoiceMail. Do you have to hit the "1" key for long? Longer than the 600? Is there delay when you press and hold it for a second before the call is actually dialed? What about when you scroll through the call history and hit the center button to call someone in the history? Anyone experiencing that? I have re-installed that call duration prc file that somone posted here a while back, but other than that, I haven't installed any "hacks".

Finally, as an aside, if anyone uses ACT for PalmOS, there is NO VERSION of this software that works w/the Treo 650 (or OS 5.4), according to ACT Support. Very sad!
    Absolutley; I press down and it takes almost 2 - 3 seconds to place a call or return a call; thinking i didn't press it correctly i press down again then it cancels on me. VERY FRUSTRATING indeed!
    Did a quick test with a friend last night speaking to him on the 650 and then on my land line -- and the 650 was clearly superior! He said I sounded better on the Treo and I thought he sounded better on the Treo. The landline is a Siemens Gigaset 4200 -- their top of the line cordless.

Still have to think it's a QC issue, as with other issues that some but not all are having.
    Update: The T650 (the replacement) has been sitting on my desk since Friday. My number transfer through sprint isn't complete yet, so it's sitting here and I can't even call home to test and make sure it works. GRAHHH! Talk about frustrating. I'll post here as soon as I know if the new unit is better.

I think it pretty much can be determined that it is a hardware issue, and not related to coverage/signal strength. Also, since many, many people (pretty much the whole of the forum less the people in this thread) are having good luck, it seems to be a pretty widespread quality control problem.

I encourage everyone who ordered a T650 through palmone to get on the horn and get a new one sent out to you. Also, if you ordered from somewhere else and have the problem then try to get a new unit out of them. It totally sucks that there is a problem, but the T650 is so outrageously cool that I don't care if I have to have 10 of them before I get one that works, and this thread has assured me that I will eventually get one that works, if the one I've got right now doesn't. At least if I'm ever able to test it!
    Frankly, I've been using my Treo 650 for over a week now and haven't had any complaints about the sound quality -- in fact, I'm told by my wife and others who I talk to regularly that it's better than my old Samsung A550 phone. I've also used the 650 speaker phone feature with great success. I don't believe that mic responsiveness can be called a problem. As for memory, that's something that could definitely use some improvement, and I'm told that there is a fix on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by BShrum
    Frankly, I've been using my Treo 650 for over a week now and haven't had any complaints about the sound quality -- in fact, I'm told by my wife and others who I talk to regularly that it's better than my old Samsung A550 phone. I've also used the 650 speaker phone feature with great success. I don't believe that mic responsiveness can be called a problem. As for memory, that's something that could definitely use some improvement, and I'm told that there is a fix on the way.
    Any reports of echo when you use the speakerphone?
    I find the sound quailty very poor, I love alot of the improvments on the phone/pda.
    I get very frustrated, The Treo650 is not a "TOY" just for power users. It is a vital part of my biz.
    If you are volume buying, I would make sprint stand behind the phones (not the 14 day offer, either) and if does not work they get them ALL back!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I was so frustrated with my situation i called PalmONe and complained about the voice quality on the other end and that it is a BIG PROBLEM.

To my surprise on gentleman from the QC department called me back... i was shocked!

He wanted to know more about my problem and told him this issue has affected alot of TREO 650 owners.

They are aware of the problem. I cant really say more than that. He is sending me out a new 650 to try. i should get it in 2 days.When i do i will let everyone know how it goes.

all i can say is that i am sure PalmOne is aware of the issue. They do care. but thats it.

in my opinino, RETURN AND REPLACE UNTIL YOU GET A GOOD ONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    I was so frustrated with my situation i called PalmONe and complained about the voice quality on the other end and that it is a BIG PROBLEM.

To my surprise on gentleman from the QC department called me back... i was shocked!

He wanted to know more about my problem and told him this issue has affected alot of TREO 650 owners.

They are aware of the problem. I cant really say more than that. He is sending me out a new 650 to try. i should get it in 2 days.When i do i will let everyone know how it goes.

all i can say is that i am sure PalmOne is aware of the issue. They do care. but thats it.

in my opinino, RETURN AND REPLACE UNTIL YOU GET A GOOD ONE.
    As with the 600 they are upgrading hardware as we go. Sounds like a fault in production more so than a faulty mike? Who knows, but lets hope they get it right.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Well I received my second phone from Palm and the voice issues are still there. People I speak with tell me that I sound too loud and sometimes it breaks up because it is so loud. Other people I have called tell me they are able to hear all of the background noise behind me.

I don't know what to do at this point... I love the unit but not sure I can deal with the sound quality issue. :-(
    there is no doubt that the 650 picks up all kinds of background noise. i just talked to someone on a 650 in a resturant and the background noise was totally outrageous. this is unacceptabel for sure.
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast