Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    after reading all this I would agree on one consistent observation: when you have any background noise (resturant, machine noise, window down while driving, etc...everyday cell phone use situtations) the phone basically sucks. As one client of mine said while I was on my 650 said, " could you call me back on a land line, this connections is really bad." enough said. Back to my old cell phone (i500) and no problems any more. Dam I wish the 650 worked as it is an awesome phone - except when you actually need to talk to someone.
    I have never heard anyone complain about the sound on my 600. Therefore, until this issue is solved, I won't be upgrading, thats all I know. All we can do is raise a stink, and tell every columnist we know that the sound sucks, and get it out there. I myself contacted Walt Mossberg of the WSJ about the memory issue a while back, and although HE had no problems with it, he now has read the forums I directed him to, and FULLY understands the problem. He even stated himself in his column a day or two ago, that he would not have given the phone such a high rating if he had fully known the memory issue.

In a response email to him, I noted the voice/sound problem now rearing its head. Wonder if he is going to mention this!

If palm is reading this forum, I sure hope they are paying attention, cause the real quick sales could turn into a LOT of returns and dissatisfaction!
    Yes, the voice/sound issue is totally unacceptable. I can't beleive Palm hasn't even mentioned this or anything.
    Another Update: The new T650 arrived today. I'll be testing it tomorrow and posting back when I have some news.

At first I was worried that I would have major problems getting a replacement because I didn't order from Sprint, but now it seems that it's the other way around.
    Got my T650 today, and the first two people I called asked me if I was coming down with a cold! I left myself a couple of voicemail messages and it sounds pretty muffled, like I'm talking from inside a cardboard box. This is definitely a big disappointment, and is even more frustrating because the device is so great in just about every other respect. I use a headset a lot of the time, but I'm not interested in being *forced* to use one just so people can hear me clearly.

I will eagerly await the followups here from people who are getting or have gotten replacement phones. I'd rather stick with the 650, but if it isn't able to work adequately as a phone, it's going back to the store.
    Well, I posted earlier that I called Sprint Monday the 29th, and sprint said they would send me a replacement phone. They said I would get it in 3-5 business days. I called back today to check on the status, and they said it was "WAITING FOR SUPERVISOR APPROVAL" Well I b****ed and they said they would send one out and I should get it by Tuesday. I wonder if I would have ever gotten one if I would have waited. Then they said I had to pay for this one, and they would credit me back when they get mine back!!! Did everyone have to do this? I argued, but they wouldn't budge. I have been a loyal customer for at least 4 years.

I had a $1,000 HDTV TIVO box fail on me, and DirecTV sent out a new one without me paying a dime. I guess Sprint just doesn't trust their customers very much, or is it just me? Now I'm concerned that it'll take for ever to get the credit, and I'll end up paying interest on my credit card.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    [QUOTE=skydivewags]Well, I posted earlier that I called Sprint Monday the 29th, and sprint said they would send me a replacement phone. They said I would get it in 3-5 business days. I called back today to check on the status, and they said it was "WAITING FOR SUPERVISOR APPROVAL" Well I b****ed and they said they would send one out and I should get it by Tuesday. I wonder if I would have ever gotten one if I would have waited. Then they said I had to pay for this one, and they would credit me back when they get mine back!!! Did everyone have to do this? I argued, but they wouldn't budge. I have been a loyal customer for at least 4 years.

Wags, what did you do to get them to return the phone? I called them and they flat out refused to do anything - the required that I go to a Sprint Store. Part of the problem may be that I am considered a business customer, since I get a discount through my company. Any tips you can give me to get their attention? You certainly are better versed at this than me.[INDENT][COLOR=Navy][QUOTE]
    I'm having the same problems. When I'm outside and it's somewhat noisy, no one can hear me or they say I sound like I'm on a speaker phone! This sucks.
    The only other problem I've had is a somewhat loose battery case.

Can the audio problem be fixed with software update??
    Quote Originally Posted by obie1993
    I'm having the same problems. When I'm outside and it's somewhat noisy, no one can hear me or they say I sound like I'm on a speaker phone! This sucks.
    The only other problem I've had is a somewhat loose battery case.

Can the audio problem be fixed with software update??

I would like an answer to this as well.. If it cannot be fixed I will be returning my unit.
    [QUOTE=justleft]Wags, what did you do to get them to return the phone? I called them and they flat out refused to do anything - the required that I go to a Sprint Store. Part of the problem may be that I am considered a business customer, since I get a discount through my company. Any tips you can give me to get their attention? You certainly are better versed at this than me.[INDENT][COLOR=Navy]Well, I can't say I did anything special, but I did complain, and obviously it didn't work the first time, the second time I called and found out it hadn't been ordered I was furious, and the lady I talked to went to her supervisor to get approval. As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets greased. I did at one point go to the local Sprint store, and the manager (who was waiting for his personal 650) did a test with me, and he noticed some quality issue with my phone from the other end. They at that time did not have any in stock, and he also didn't want to replace mine anyway, he said that should be taken care of through Sprint directly. Now that I have one on the way, I am afraid to check if they have any in. If you can get your local store to replace it, go for it, it will be much faster, and less hassle.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    Well, I can't say I did anything special, but I did complain, and obviously it didn't work the first time, the second time I called and found out it hadn't been ordered I was furious, and the lady I talked to went to her supervisor to get approval. As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets greased. I did at one point go to the local Sprint store, and the manager (who was waiting for his personal 650) did a test with me, and he noticed some quality issue with my phone from the other end. They at that time did not have any in stock, and he also didn't want to replace mine anyway, he said that should be taken care of through Sprint directly. Now that I have one on the way, I am afraid to check if they have any in. If you can get your local store to replace it, go for it, it will be much faster, and less hassle.
    Well I used the T650 for a number of calls today and experienced no problems. There just doesn't seem to be a pattern to when the problem occurs for me and when it doesn't. I think I'll give it another few days before i start complaining again.

Are you considered a business customer for Sprint? Everytime I call they say I am a business customer (I pay the bill, but get a discount because I work for a certain company) and hand me off to another set of people. Perhaps they are harder with the business customers?
    I am not a business customer. Maybe that's the difference.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    at the sprint pcs store in pentagon row, arlington va. very nice unit - the screen looks superb, about the same if not better than on my tungsten/t. as a test, i dialed my home number and recorded a message to check the reception on the other end. my test was essentially "this is a treo 650 transmission test, whiskey, tango, foxtrot - this is a treo 650 transmission test, alpha, bravo, charlie." got home and checked the message and it sounds fine. i'll listen more closely tonight, but quality seemed to be the same as any other message left on my answering machine. the store was pretty busy, yet the background noise didn't seem to corrup the voice quality. incidentally, i couldn't for the life of me figure out a way to delete my number from the call log. ended up redialing all of the other numbers in the log to get my number down to the bottom. watch me start getting random calls from this treo...
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG
    at the sprint pcs store in pentagon row, arlington va. very nice unit - the screen looks superb, about the same if not better than on my tungsten/t. as a test, i dialed my home number and recorded a message to check the reception on the other end. my test was essentially "this is a treo 650 transmission test, whiskey, tango, foxtrot - this is a treo 650 transmission test, alpha, bravo, charlie." got home and checked the message and it sounds fine. i'll listen more closely tonight, but quality seemed to be the same as any other message left on my answering machine. the store was pretty busy, yet the background noise didn't seem to corrup the voice quality. incidentally, i couldn't for the life of me figure out a way to delete my number from the call log. ended up redialing all of the other numbers in the log to get my number down to the bottom. watch me start getting random calls from this treo...
    I am finding the problem to be sporadic - not consistent. That being said, there is nothing that would stop me from getting a Treo 650 (outside of the fact that I already have one), even with the sound problems I am occasionally experiencing. Overall, I am very satisfied with the device. I have had numerous Palm and Pocket PC devices. The combination of a phone/PDA is hard to beat.

When I carried a PDA and a phone, my wife would complain that I looked like a geek (I am one). Carrying each device was pretty bulky. But with a combo device the problem is eliminated. Plus I never forget it.
    I have been considering going back to my treo 300.
    - almost unintelligable voice on the other end if there is a lot of background noise. Background noise rejection is very poor. I have a convertible and when I used my treo 300 everyone thought it was quiet and a head set worked great with a piece of foam over the mouth piece from the wind. I cannot make calls from my car with the roof down with my treo 650. Ditto where there is lots of background noise in a bar. It is OK in a quiet room even with bluetooth headset.
    -Jabra BT 250 headset is poor at the best of times. Best described as snap crackle and pop. Unusable if there is background noise.
    - more dropped calls than treo 300.
    - pdanet solves the bluetooth problem
    - using the video recorder, I keep running out of memory. I have copied ever program to external memory that I can. DO NOT INSTALL SOFTWARE ON THE INTERNAL MEMORY. You will run out of temporary space. 360 MB free on the card and NO MEMORY.
    I will check with Palmone how long I have to return the phone. Voice quality is the prime complaint. If they can fix the voice problem, I love my phone.
    I think it would be beneficial if someone with enough cash to spare thier Treo (I don't know anyone with that kind of pocket change) and soldering skill could figure out whether or not this a software problem. Has anyone thought of manually opening it up and putting in a new microphone? I had to do that with my REALLY OLD nokia. Of course, doing so will completely screw any chances of a warranty, and may not even work. I was able to just use a new condensor mic from RadioShack, but the Treo probably has something different.
    Volume maxed out = sound problem. Volume down two clicks = no sound problem. Try it. You'll like it.
    I think we are looking at a QC issue not a design issue.

I say this because the reports I've read in this thread are of the "mine is crystal clear" or "nobody can understand me" variety. And in my own experience I've had reports of "you sound better than on your regular phone (land line)" and occasionally "say that again" but no one has ever said "you sound like you are in a tunnel."

Similarly, I have no particular problem with lengthy delays (although there are some) and no problem with my "P" key or camera or display.

So I have to conclude that there are some serious QC issues for the 650. But mine is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by victrola
    Volume maxed out = sound problem. Volume down two clicks = no sound problem. Try it. You'll like it.

Does nothing for me.
  20.    #160  
    So do you think this problem is QC issue so you'll get all good Treo650 if you are lucky? Or this is basically depending on the ambient noise, and replacing treo 650 won't help?

My 650 is doing just fine when I'm in a quiet place. The person on the other end doesn't have any problem hearing me. But as many have said, if I'm in a noisy place like crowded cafe, my friends or clients on the other end said mic was picking up too much noise.
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast