Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but on top of the sound quality, has anyone noticed significant lag in the phone features such as speed dialing and redialing a contact from your call history? Trying the speed dial for VoiceMail. Do you have to hit the "1" key for long? Longer than the 600? Is there delay when you press and hold it for a second before the call is actually dialed? What about when you scroll through the call history and hit the center button to call someone in the history? Anyone experiencing that? I have re-installed that call duration prc file that somone posted here a while back, but other than that, I haven't installed any "hacks".

Finally, as an aside, if anyone uses ACT for PalmOS, there is NO VERSION of this software that works w/the Treo 650 (or OS 5.4), according to ACT Support. Very sad!
    Well, I just called Sprint, and complained about the sound quality, and they are sending me another phone. They said it will be here in 3-5 business days. I couldn't get an answer out of her why I got the first phone the next day, and have to wait so long to get one that works correctly. I will report back when I get the new one.

Just to add to the frustration, my friends say mine sounds ok today.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2468
    Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but on top of the sound quality, has anyone noticed significant lag in the phone features such as speed dialing and redialing a contact from your call history? Trying the speed dial for VoiceMail. Do you have to hit the "1" key for long? Longer than the 600? Is there delay when you press and hold it for a second before the call is actually dialed? What about when you scroll through the call history and hit the center button to call someone in the history? Anyone experiencing that? I have re-installed that call duration prc file that somone posted here a while back, but other than that, I haven't installed any "hacks".
    I believe everyone is experiencing these same delays. It has been talked about on other threads. I upgraded from the I-330, and that had a 33mhz processor, and I was expecting a much bigger increase in speed. The one thing about the I-330 is that when I would be in another app., and wanted to put it back in phone mode, and key guard, then off, it would remember my button presses even though I would get way ahead of it. The Treo 650 will not. I must wait for it to respond to each press, then press the next button. I do like that it goes into key guard automatically, that saves one button, but overall, it takes longer then with the old I-330.

As far as the delays when making a call, this is ridicules. My I-330 was much faster!!!
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    I have emailed The Register about all of this. Maybe if they post something about it, it will get Palm's attention.
    I have only had my Treo 650 for 3 days now. The first two days I was buried knee deep in loading 3rd party apps and familiarizing myself with all of the awesome features this phone has to offer. I had not really talked very much on it until today. I made 36 calls to 11 different people. The calls were made at my home, work, and on the road. The first call I made today with a friend whom I talk with all of the time asked me where in the world was I calling from. He said it was very choppy and digital sounding and he could barely make out every other word. Througout the day, all 3 of the 11 people I spoke with told me the sound quality was terrible. I had to call 3 of them back on a land line. I am totally frustrated because this is such a great little smartphone (without the phone). I am going to hang on to the phone for one more day before saying good bye. Bye the way my I am in Greenville, SC 29607
    Sound quality on the other end has been just fine, but not great on my end. The sound could be louder and more clear. It sounds too muddy sometimes when talking to someone with a lower voice.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    USE A HEADSET! It solves two problems:

1) It makes this problem go away! I used my headset and the conversation was BETTER than in my corded phone! Both ways!

2) It won't let you develop a brain tumor! See my website where I've been selling gauss meters for 11 years...for $ 39.95 you can measure the fields from cell phones...$ 16.95 on ebay! www.drgauss.com
    Last edited by mgauss; 11/30/2004 at 02:15 AM. Reason: addition
    my conclusion on the treo 650 i have been using for a week: the phone is a great device for people who don't use the phone a lot. I had three people today tell me how terrible I sound- none of these people knew I was on a new cell phone- my last call today the person actually asked me to please call them back on a land line. I purposly did not tell anyone that I got a new cell phone and just started using it to gain an unbaised review of the sound / phone quality of this smartphone- in the course of the week the two people I talked to most, without knowing I was using a new phone commented several times that they couldn't hear me or we had a bad connection. I must say that the reception, or signal strength is better than most sprint phones- however the sound quality is not good. For the last year I have used a samsung i500 and the sound quality is much better, most people don't know that I am on a cell phone- the signal strength is not as good as the 650. My personal experience is that flip style phones offer better sound quality in general as opposed to candy bar style phones. Becasue the phone is the most important element of the smartphone for me, I will be going back to the i500 as much as I hate to say it, I am very disapointed as my first impression of the phone was very high but I just can't keep using a phone where everyone tells me I sound terrible. One other thing- the earpiece volume on the 650 isn't as good/loud as many other phones offerd by sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss

1) It makes this problem go away! I used my headset and the conversation was BETTER than in my corded phone! Both ways!

2) It won't let you develop a brain tumor! See my website where I've been selling gauss meters for 11 years...for $ 39.95 you can measure the fields from cell phones...$ 16.95 on ebay!

IT SOLVES NOTHING!!!!!

I didn't spend $600 to ALWAYS HAVE TO USE A HEADSET...I am a simple man with a simple request:

Make the microphone audible for the persons I am speaking with on the other end...that is the most basic function of the phone and they didn't even get that part of the phone right!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss

2) It won't let you develop a brain tumor! See my website where I've been selling gauss meters for 11 years...for $ 39.95 you can measure the fields from cell phones...$ 16.95 on ebay! www.drgauss.com

...so If I get a new High Definition Plasma 60" television and the external speakers don't work you want me to buy a ****ing Koss headset? Sorry to be rude but you my friend have fallen and bumped your head!
    Quote Originally Posted by mortgageguy
    ...so If I get a new High Definition Plasma 60" television and the external speakers don't work you want me to buy a ****ing Koss headset? Sorry to be rude but you my friend have fallen and bumped your head!
    No, he's saying that he thinks there are enough good qualities about the phone for him to use workarounds for some of the problems. His call, not yours or mine. If you don't think so, return/don't buy it. But apparently nowadays, if someone doesn't believe what someone else believes, there must be something wrong with them. In the old days, it used to be called "difference of opinion". Now, it's a mental defect.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    .... But apparently nowadays, if someone doesn't believe what someone else believes, there must be something wrong with them. In the old days, it used to be called "difference of opinion". Now, it's a mental defect.
    How true. This "my way or the highway" attitude today is growing way thin.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    How true. This "my way or the highway" attitude today is growing way thin.
    Yep. It's especially bad in politics. Whether your are liberal or conservative, it can never be just because you have a different opinion on how to do things. It's either (a) you are mentally defective, (b) deceitful, (c) evil or (d) all of the above. It is getting tedious. And in a way, politics is a lot like this board. A small group of very loud people are making it bad for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by TracerHawk
    I got the same complaint when speaking to a friend last night when I was on my 650. She said it sounded hollow and "echo-y", like I was on speakerphone almost, but I wasnt. She sounded clear as a bell to me, so it sounds like its the microphone as the problem. Hopefully its an easy fix...
    Don't count on it being fixed. My 600 has a severe echo problem with the speakerphone. The 650 is a new model and it seems that the microphone problems continue. This should already be fixed!
    My Verizon V710 also has an echo-ey speaker problem. I've rarely seen a decent speakerphone on a cell phone. When it comes to cell phones, it seems that most of the speakerphones, like most of the integrated cameras, suck.
    Yep. It's especially bad in politics. Whether your are liberal or conservative, it can never be just because you have a different opinion on how to do things. It's either (a) you are mentally defective, (b) deceitful, (c) evil or (d) all of the above. It is getting tedious. And in a way, politics is a lot like this board. A small group of very loud people are making it bad for everyone.
    Dale, I have to ask... Who (whom?) is making it bad for everyone, and how are they doing so?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Guys, just want to clarify something. Whenever sound issues come up, people always suggest calling Sprint for a PRL update. PRL standa for Preferred Roaming List and all an update does is load your phone with instructions to choose the least expensive (for Sprint) roaming tower they have an agreement with. It has nothing to do with the actu voice quality of the phone, although an update could give a marginal improvement to your roaming calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Guys, just want to clarify something. Whenever sound issues come up, people always suggest calling Sprint for a PRL update. PRL standa for Preferred Roaming List and all an update does is load your phone with instructions to choose the least expensive (for Sprint) roaming tower they have an agreement with. It has nothing to do with the actu voice quality of the phone, although an update could give a marginal improvement to your roaming calls.
    Nope. Every 650 comes preloaded with the latest PRL (10025).
    No, he's saying that he thinks there are enough good qualities about the phone for him to use workarounds for some of the problems. His call, not yours or mine. If you don't think so, return/don't buy it. But apparently nowadays, if someone doesn't believe what someone else believes, there must be something wrong with them. In the old days, it used to be called "difference of opinion". Now, it's a mental defect.
    He said it was a solution...that is NOT a solution...it has nothing to do with me disagreeing with him...the plasma TV was a GREAT example.

So, in the true spirit of open-mindedness,

I respectfully agree to disagree
    No, that is what you have inferred from what he said. It does not have anything to do with whether I "believe" him or not. I actually do believe him. I have tried my plantronics headset and it completely masks the problem. The voice clarity on the other end is superb. However, it's kind of like taking an Advil for a back ache. It masks the pain but it always comes back until you get to the root of the problem. The headset does not fix the problem because the phone is supposed to be useable without the headset! It's a problem with MY phone and why should I settle for a temporary fix? Also, I believe that in my post I said I was going to return the phone. I love everything else about the phone and If I can get this major defect resolved I will be a happy Treo camper but for someone to suggest to "to use a headset and all of your problems will go away is just settling for mediocrity.

Why can't we all just get along? lol

Originally Posted by mgauss

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast