Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    I've made exactly 2 calls on my 6 hour old 650, and both people asked if I could call them back later. I called my voicemail, left a message, then checked it from another phone -- practically unintelligible. Same time/place, I left myself voicemail from my sanyo 4500 and it was perfectly clear. Maybe I have a bad unit, but this isn't good. Glad this is a demo unit -- may not be spending $600 after all....
  2.    #42  
    I don't know if it's really the cause, but I'm trying to reduce the speaker volume (talking volume, not the system volume.) these couple days, and I'm not having a problem on the other end. I even asked some friends that I talked earlier, and they said they didn't have any problem hearing me. But then, I just tried recording voice message at the highest volume setting and there was no problem. huum. I don't know what's causing the problem. Reception? I got the problem where I could get four bars, and my house where I just recorded the voice gives treo only a bar...
    Last edited by coelacanth; 11/26/2004 at 02:36 AM.
    what a crushing disappointment this treo 650 has been.

nightmare.
    1) callers voice chopped up on receiving end

2) memory

3) crashing

4) sync issues

5) incompatible software

6) beaming problems

I thought they focused on making a great phone first, then a pda second?

what a trainwreck
    My Treo 650's sound quality on the "other end" seems to be adequate, so far. I've called my home voicemail several times tonight so I could hear how I sound on the 650.

Since my home phone is Vonage and I get my voicemail messages delivered as WAV files, I've posted the messages at the following URL, in case anyone is interested in hearing what a Treo 650 sounds like. (And is able to tolerate listening to me rambling about nonsense.)

http://davidsimmons.com/tmp/treo650recordings/

The first recording is me talking on the 650 in a quiet corner of my apartment. The second is me talking at my desk with several computer fans running nearby. The third is me talking with music in the background. All recordings were made with the 650's built-in microphone.

The sound quality is not exactly high fidelity, but it sounds good enough to me. Vonage voicemail files are 8Khz PCM, which may also be limiting the quality.

David
    IMO, all 3 of your records sound pretty consistent. None of them sound as good as my sanyo, but all of them sound significantly better than my treo. But as you say, it could also be vonage.

Frustrating -- voice quality was a major reason I moved to Sprint 2 years ago -- so far (for me) seems like we've taken a step backward. Thanks for doing the recordings, simmons...
    I am in volved with the development of the Audacity voice recorders so the first thing I tested was the record quality. I found it to be excellent. Better than the Treo 600 and probably the best of any Palm device to date. This is not the same as making a phone call, but it definitely uses the built in Mic. The only problem I noticed was the playback volume is a little low. The 600 is better on playback volume.
    Just recording to voicemail or answering machine may not show the problem, if there is one, sine many of the reports are poor sound during a two way conversation as if the dulpex is bot working right or the other persons voice interfers with the noise cancellation or something
    Last edited by midmofan; 11/26/2004 at 01:39 PM.
    In addition to the "leave a message test" (as well as the initial setting up of my voice mail account), which all sounded OK, I also did the ol' TV test. I turned on C-Span (or some other voice only channel) and dialed my Treo from my home number. I then laid the Treo next to the TV and closed the door to the room. I did this for both speakerphone and normal mode. It sounded perfectly clear. In addition, I have not had any complaints on maybe a half dozen phone calls made to people (no one asked me to repeat myself). Five of those six calls were from my car too, which seems to be a problem for some people.

During the TV test, the only time the Treo had trouble was when I turned on a regular channel with people talking and music in the background, like some movie or a commercial or something. In those instances, I think the noise cancelling mic got overwhelmed by all the sound coming through it. Although even then, you could understand the people talking, just some light cutouts here and there.

I think the noise cancelling software needs tweaking, but it could also be other factors like different Sprint network quality depending on where you live. Also, using it in a noisy car could have problems. But so far, my phone seems to sound OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Just recording to voicemail or answering machine may not show the problem, if there is one, sine many of the reports are poor sound during a two way conversation as the dulex is bot working right or the other persons voice interfers with the noise cancellation or something
    Unless both people are talking at the same time, that shouldn't be a problem The noise cancellation may be the problem, but it seems to be more of a background noise problem. If either you or the person you are talking to have a fair amount of background noise, that could be a problem. However, in my post above, the people I talked to included two restaurants, both which had considerable noise in their background and I was in a car. No one had any problems hearing each other in either case. I asked one (but not both) if I sounded OK and they said "yes". Hmmm. The disparity of the experiences is interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Unless both people are talking at the same time, that shouldn't be a problem The noise cancellation may be the problem, but it seems to be more of a background noise problem. If either you or the person you are talking to have a fair amount of background noise, that could be a problem. However, in my post above, the people I talked to included two restaurants, both which had considerable noise in their background and I was in a car. No one had any problems hearing each other in either case. I asked one (but not both) if I sounded OK and they said "yes". Hmmm. The disparity of the experiences is interesting.
    Agreed, this is interesting. I'm in the camp of good reception/call quality on both ends of the conversation. I've called my wife a dozen times, both PCS to PCS (on her RL4920) and landline. Both cases were perfect for all calls. I've also done the "leave a message on voicemail" ttest and have no issues there either.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    what a crushing disappointment this treo 650 has been.

nightmare.
    1) callers voice chopped up on receiving end

2) memory

3) crashing

4) sync issues

5) incompatible software

6) beaming problems

I thought they focused on making a great phone first, then a pda second?

what a trainwreck
    Hmm...

1) Not a single problem
    2) Small problem, but P1 is addressing it
    3) Not a sinlge crash in over a week
    4) No problem syncing with BT, IR or USB
    5) Not a single problem with incompatible software
    6) Haven't tried beaming
    Obviously peeps are all over the board on this issue. For me...

1) definitely - difficult to understand unless I'm practically whispering and there's no background noise

2) memory not an issue for me

3) i can consistently make it crash in versamail

4) agreed - no sync problems over bt, ir, or usb

5) as said above, I can make versamail reset the palm

6) no beam problems

My biggest complain is voice quality and VersaMail. It simply won't remove messages from the server, despite being configured to do so.

I don't think the people having issues are making it up or just listing problems to *****; as a Cingular (bleck) Treo 600 user, I've been looking forward to this model for a long time. I must say, though, that right now I don't believe it's worth the upgrade for someone like me that uses it primarily for email and voice.
    My 650 turned out to be a big disappointment with the phone quality. Everything else was perfect but my voice sounded choppy and people kept complaining they could hear that cars were passing me or people were next to me. I called my land line with my 650 and I sounded like crap speaking into my 650 and listening on my land line. I must have done this about 15 times and each time with the same success.

After owning 2 Sanyo phones previously, I was used to top quality phones. So today I bought the brand new MM-7400 which is a delightful phone with a whole bunch of good stuff: great camera, camcorder, fast vision, amazing speakerphone, voice recorder, and the most important of all: I hear everything crystal clear and multiple people told me I sound like I am in the next room.

Having a high quality phone is much more important than being able to use Bluetooth or having applications in a PDA. I would suggest people who are undecided to get a top quality phone, and if you need a PDA, then go buy a separate one.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Strategic Issues to Solve These Problems:

1) Please report City, State, Zip code and area code from where you are calling from and from where you are being received. This could be a New York problem, or another city, while all others are OK. In this forum we could find a defective Sprint circuit. Now if we see the problem is all over the country, that's different.

2) We need an independent permanent survey (table form) where grades are given to things like voice quality (incoming and outgoing), crashes and what causes them, etc. ,etc. I'm afraid it has to be an independent place that does not make money from Treo sales. Either we have a great phone here or not a great phone here. For $ 600 we should know.

3) Please, people with positive experiences also report.

4) Any other ideas?
    ...1) Please report City, State, Zip code and area code from where you are calling from and from where you are being received. This could be a New York problem, or another city, while all others are OK.
    If a person has two different results using two different phones from the same location:
    I performed a test with one of those same friends and called him back immediately on the Sanyo after reactivating the unit. He said that I sounded "much better" - just like a normal land line call. I do not think this is a SprintPCS issue.
    it doesn't really matter where that person is - it's the phone.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/27/2004 at 06:09 AM. Reason: added test quote
    This is a complete shot in the dark, but it might help. Sprint phones know how to connect to _other_ networks through a "Preferred Roaming List" or PRL, however, updating the PRL has occasionally improved my service on the native Sprint network. The PRL can be updated over-the-air, so it's relatively simple to do.
    - First make sure you can update it. As of this writing on 11/27 the latest is 100025. To see which PRL you have, I believe you press "Menu-I" from the phone screen.
    If you do have 10025, I don't know what to tell you - you might want to try this anyway.
    - If you have an older PRL, call Sprint by dialing *2.
    - Tell Claire: "P R L Update" and she should transfer you to a customer service agent.
    - Ask the customer service agent to flag your account for a PRL Update, and they'll tell you what to do. It'll involve calling *2 again and waiting for 2 minutes as the system updates the PRL.
    - When the update is complete, shutdown the phone radio, then soft reset the Treo. This step has been useful on my 600, though probably not necessary - I don't know if it's needed on the 650.

This is a long shot for those people having audio problems, but I have had success improving the audio on other Sprint phones using this technique.

Conrad
    Quote Originally Posted by coelacanth
    First off, the sound quality of voice quality on Treo650 was much much better than my old Treo300. I don't have any complain about it. But many people I talked said they couldn't hear well what I was saying. They said it sounded like the voice was chopped off like when you don't have enough reception or when you are in tunnel.

I have a collegue who got the Treo 650, and he simply could not hear me very well on it.

He thought the speaker was broken.

I took a look at it, and the screen protector that comes on the phone while shipping partially covers the ear speaker.

Snipped it off, problem fixed.

I know it's silly, but it's something to check.

For the record, I can hear him just fine when he is speaking on it. Sounds pretty much like any other cellphone ... pretty good, but not exactly the same as a high-quality landline.
    It's not the Sprint PCS Service, and it's not the city and location or network switching problems. It's the phone, or more specifically the speaker in the phone. I had the Sanyo 5300 and Sprint PCS for over 2 years with perfect calls on both sides, regardless of location. However with the Treo650, multiple people have complained that my voice sounded muffled like I had something in front of it and it was hard to hear/understand me.

Hopefully its the noise-canceling or something like that which they can fix with an update, I really love this phone other than that, but it's one of the most basic requirements of this device that people should be able to clearly hear you when speaking. Here we are *****ing about what version of bluetooth it contains and whether or not it has wifi and other random bells and whistles... yet the most basic feature of having a clear working phone hasnt even been accomplished yet. http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/banghead.gif

This phone is amazing, I really hope they fix this because I really dont want to have to return it. If it doesnt get fixed, I'll be switching to the Samsung i550 in a couple months when it comes out.
    As one of the first people to raise this issue, it certainly is a concern for me. I have tried everything, including several (wired) hands-free devices. I have found that the Shure Quiet Spot headset works very well. This is odd, becuase with every other phone I have used this headset with (Nokia 6225, Toshiba 4050, Sanyo VM4500) the person I was speaking to said my voice was choppy (similar to the Treo 650 complaints). For some reason, the Shure paired with my 650 seems to be a good combo. The main downside of this headset is that it looks like you are a telemarketer or something. It's a large booom.

One other alternative I've tried successfully is simply speaking softer. People (myself included) seem to talk louder on mobile phones, probably due to the fact that you can't hear your own voice in the headset (called side tone...Nokias have it). For that reason, we tend to speak louder. I think the 650's microphone is too sensitive, and talking louder than necessary, causes the noice-cancellation and sensitivity characteristics to malfunction.

Try speaking softer than normal. It seems to work better for me, anyway. (but it's HARDLY a solution... )
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I too have the same problem my friend complaines that i sound echo-ee and in a tunnel.

When i use wired headset its great and also bluetooth isnt too bad. but with o ut it its bad

THIS SUCKS... FOR THIS KIND OF MONEY WE SHOULDNT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS.

THIS IS VERY UPSETTING... !!
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast