Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031 LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 611
  1. #561  
    I bought two (2) Treo 650s in November from PalmOne website. I was very excited about the Treo, PDA, Sprint Service, BlueTooth, Camera, Video...but the sound quality is very, very bad on both phones. Since these were Christmas presents and we didn't test till after Christmas we were outside our 30 day return window with PalmOne. Has anyone returned outside the 30 day return window for full refund? I see no reason to keep this phone with the poor voice quality.
    Leonard R. Knight, Jr.
    lrknight@dbrsystems.com

    http://www.dbrsystems.com
    Experts in Industrial Automation
    and System Integration
  2. #562  
    Ok, I have read this thread until my eyes can barely stay open... but nobody is saying what I have found, or actually I'm not finding anybody that has said what I have found, maybe I'm just too tired and skipt over it. I too have the same issue with sound, I have to repeat my self constantly.

    What I have found is that the phone seems to be running in Simplex mode (one person talks at a time, just like a walkie talkie but instead of you having to push a button "ptt" the phone has a voice activated button) so this means as long as it hears the other party talking on the phone it keeps your mic off untile they stop talking, but the problem is, if the person your talking too has background noise (even slight background noise) the phone keeps thinking that THEY are STILL talking, keeping you mic in the off position. This causes YOUR voice to cut in and out. Normally a phone works in full duplex, in otherwords you can both talk at the same time and hear every word each of you said.

    Now how do I know this is the problem? simple, EVERYTIME someone has the radio on in the background or people talking in the background or wind noise, or even loud interior car noise, the person on the noisy side say's that I am cuting in and out. I hear this constantly over and over and over when I'm on my treo 650, and EVERY SINGE TIME I get them to kill the background noise, they hear me PERFECTLY fine! Unless we both speak at the same time. Now I simply wait my turn. Now yes this sucks tremendously and should not be occuring, especially in such an expensive phone. Note I usually have these problems with people that also seem to be on a cell phone of another carrier seems to make it worse, but when it is a call to someone on a landline I seem to rarely have a problem. But this could be because the landlines are generally at thier homes where it is usually quiter than out and about town.

    So FIX number one is to get them to eliminate background noise, and watch the problem vertually dissapear. Even slight sounds like one person in the background talking normally. I always get the "you can hear that?" question from the other end, I say yes, please go to a quiet area of the house/building or completely turn off your radio, or what ever the back ground noise is, an viola, they can now hear me without the cut outs. Keeping in mind that it's still working in simplex, wait till they are done talking to answer. Oh and fricking SPRINT FIX THIS ISSUE would you please!

    FIX #2 This one works very good... I just bought the motorola hs820 bluetooth headset, since I was getting tired of trying to put the square box to my head. So I charged it up and called my buddy at his home, he said I sounded great, but his landline and my phone have always worked great. But when my girlfriend called me from her cell the first thing I heard from her was Hi!! and then about 20 people I could easily hear in the background (she was in a bar) made me cringe and say to my self, great I'm not going to be able to talke to her cause I got the treo 650, but hey lets see if she can hear me on my new headset anyhow. Well much to my surprise when I spoke to her she heard me perfectly fine in the crowded, noisy bar. I even had her count to ten while I did so also at the same time, and we could BOTH hear each and every number that we spoke aloud to each other, WOW I now have full duplex!!! AWSOME, I almost fell over, I was so excited I though I would post it hear. I don't know why the phone will not work in full duplex but at least the headset does. This has solved my imidiate problem, but the phone still needs to be fixed as well.

    Sorry for such a long post but I hope this helps, and I hope I'm not a dork in telling someting that everyone allready knows???????????

    I will be adding the patch in the next couple days also, even though it only improves but does not fix the issue, just to tired now to mess with it anylonger.
    Dean
  3. #563  
    Thanks for all of the info!
  4. #564  
    So I take it no sound patch has been officially released by Sprint or Palmone yet??
    go.digital
  5. Giacopis's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #565  
    How is it that on such a fundamental question, as sound quality or voice chopping in a telephone, no message has been posted in this thread for 23 days between Jan 31st and Feb 23d ?

    I am waiting for Treo 650 GSM to be sold in Italy but am quite scared by the question and wonder what this silence means. Am I going to buy one of the last underdogs or one of the first princelings?

    Giacopis
  6. #566  
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacopis
    How is it that on such a fundamental question, as sound quality or voice chopping in a telephone, no message has been posted in this thread for 23 days between Jan 31st and Feb 23d ?

    I am waiting for Treo 650 GSM to be sold in Italy but am quite scared by the question and wonder what this silence means. Am I going to buy one of the last underdogs or one of the first princelings?

    Giacopis
    because there is nothing new to talk about
  7. #567  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    because there is nothing new to talk about
    I just love your ability to cut straight thru and deliver the gist!
  8. Giacopis's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #568  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    because there is nothing new to talk about
    This is precisely what scares me. It means that Palmone has not offered anybody a fix.

    The longer Palmone stays mute, the higher the number of tainted units sold, the higher the cost of offering a fix to all of them, the higher the economic justification for Palmone to let first buyers stay put with their bugged devices.

    Before buying, I am going to wait for good news on this thread.
  9. #569  
    Palmone has to come out with a fix. I fixed the problem with the sound quality using Shadowmite's patch but I lose the Carkit Updater.
  10. #570  
    Quote Originally Posted by choile
    Palmone has to come out with a fix. I fixed the problem with the sound quality using Shadowmite's patch but I lose the Carkit Updater.
    the carkit updater is on shadowmite's site that he altered to work with the rom patch...

    http://shadowmite.com/bt-update.prc
  11. faisal's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #571  
    Quote Originally Posted by deanzsyclone
    Ok, I have read this thread until my eyes can barely stay open... but nobody is saying what I have found, or actually I'm not finding anybody that has said what I have found, maybe I'm just too tired and skipt over it. I too have the same issue with sound, I have to repeat my self constantly.

    What I have found is that the phone seems to be running in Simplex mode (one person talks at a time, just like a walkie talkie but instead of you having to push a button "ptt" the phone has a voice activated button) so this means as long as it hears the other party talking on the phone it keeps your mic off untile they stop talking, but the problem is, if the person your talking too has background noise (even slight background noise) the phone keeps thinking that THEY are STILL talking, keeping you mic in the off position. This causes YOUR voice to cut in and out. Normally a phone works in full duplex, in otherwords you can both talk at the same time and hear every word each of you said.

    Now how do I know this is the problem? simple, EVERYTIME someone has the radio on in the background or people talking in the background or wind noise, or even loud interior car noise, the person on the noisy side say's that I am cuting in and out. I hear this constantly over and over and over when I'm on my treo 650, and EVERY SINGE TIME I get them to kill the background noise, they hear me PERFECTLY fine! Unless we both speak at the same time. Now I simply wait my turn. Now yes this sucks tremendously and should not be occuring, especially in such an expensive phone. Note I usually have these problems with people that also seem to be on a cell phone of another carrier seems to make it worse, but when it is a call to someone on a landline I seem to rarely have a problem. But this could be because the landlines are generally at thier homes where it is usually quiter than out and about town.

    So FIX number one is to get them to eliminate background noise, and watch the problem vertually dissapear. Even slight sounds like one person in the background talking normally. I always get the "you can hear that?" question from the other end, I say yes, please go to a quiet area of the house/building or completely turn off your radio, or what ever the back ground noise is, an viola, they can now hear me without the cut outs. Keeping in mind that it's still working in simplex, wait till they are done talking to answer. Oh and fricking SPRINT FIX THIS ISSUE would you please!

    FIX #2 This one works very good... I just bought the motorola hs820 bluetooth headset, since I was getting tired of trying to put the square box to my head. So I charged it up and called my buddy at his home, he said I sounded great, but his landline and my phone have always worked great. But when my girlfriend called me from her cell the first thing I heard from her was Hi!! and then about 20 people I could easily hear in the background (she was in a bar) made me cringe and say to my self, great I'm not going to be able to talke to her cause I got the treo 650, but hey lets see if she can hear me on my new headset anyhow. Well much to my surprise when I spoke to her she heard me perfectly fine in the crowded, noisy bar. I even had her count to ten while I did so also at the same time, and we could BOTH hear each and every number that we spoke aloud to each other, WOW I now have full duplex!!! AWSOME, I almost fell over, I was so excited I though I would post it hear. I don't know why the phone will not work in full duplex but at least the headset does. This has solved my imidiate problem, but the phone still needs to be fixed as well.

    Sorry for such a long post but I hope this helps, and I hope I'm not a dork in telling someting that everyone allready knows???????????

    I will be adding the patch in the next couple days also, even though it only
    improves but does not fix the issue, just to tired now to mess with it anylonger.
    Dean
    The engineer at PalmONe is very aware of these issues especially the background noise stuff. ALso the duplex simplex whatever. THis was discussed with her and i in detail.

    THEY ARE AWARE OF THIS ISSUE. I cant tell you why they dont issue a fix. Maybe they are pissed off at us and want us to suffer. I dont know but it sure makes you want to buy a Samsung product.
  12. oron50's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #572  
    Don't know if this will help all of you or not, but this solved 95% of an important client's complaints regarding choppy audio to the person you're speaking with.

    in the Phone App, hit MENU/OPTIONS/Phone Preferences--in the middle of screen, under TTY/TDD Mode, make sure you set it to OFF instead of the DEFAULT mode.

    Made her life much more bearable. My assistant verified the audio improvement as I called her from the phone.

    Hope this helps.
  13. #573  
    Quote Originally Posted by oron50
    Don't know if this will help all of you or not, but this solved 95% of an important client's complaints regarding choppy audio to the person you're speaking with.

    in the Phone App, hit MENU/OPTIONS/Phone Preferences--in the middle of screen, under TTY/TDD Mode, make sure you set it to OFF instead of the DEFAULT mode.

    Made her life much more bearable. My assistant verified the audio improvement as I called her from the phone.

    Hope this helps.
    huh?? There is no "Phone Preferences" under the Options menu. And I cannot find any TTY/TDD Mode.. I have an unlocked Treo 650 GSM phone. What phone are you talking about?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  14. #574  
    Oh my, I just replaced my Treo 650 (Sprint) 3 times. It failed diagnostics, due to a bad microphone.

    People said they I sounded choppy. Wow, finally I'm not alone.

    The third phone seems to be working fine, but I still have doubts. I think it has to due with the backround noise and the signal quality.

    Never had this trouble on any of my older phones. All Sprint.

    Maybe a fix can happpen now.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  15. #575  
    Quote Originally Posted by oron50
    in the Phone App, hit MENU/OPTIONS/Phone Preferences--in the middle of screen, under TTY/TDD Mode, make sure you set it to OFF instead of the DEFAULT mode.
    Is this the fix to the (lack off) full duplex problem? Could any of the other posters confirm this?

    This issue is the only remaining thing that holds me from going from the 600 to the 650.
    ReindeR
  16. Giacopis's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #576  
    Quote Originally Posted by reinder.rustema
    Is this the fix to the (lack off) full duplex problem? Could any of the other posters confirm this?

    This issue is the only remaining thing that holds me from going from the 600 to the 650.
    We are all ligning up !
  17. #577  
    Quote Originally Posted by reinder.rustema
    Is this the fix to the (lack off) full duplex problem? Could any of the other posters confirm this?

    This issue is the only remaining thing that holds me from going from the 600 to the 650.

    Mine was allready OFF, this is not the fix.
  18. Giacopis's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #578  
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    The engineer at PalmONe is very aware of these issues especially the background noise stuff. ALso the duplex simplex whatever. THis was discussed with her and i in detail.

    THEY ARE AWARE OF THIS ISSUE. I cant tell you why they dont issue a fix. Maybe they are pissed off at us and want us to suffer. I dont know but it sure makes you want to buy a Samsung product.
    !7 days have gone by since the Palmone engineer showed to be aware of the sound problem.

    Has the awareness produced any fix?
  19. #579  
    17 days??? Look back further in this thread. The patch was released months ago. I know I got it from faisal in December.
  20. Giacopis's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #580  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    17 days??? Look back further in this thread. The patch was released months ago. I know I got it from faisal in December.
    Apparently Faisal still had the problem and discussed it with a quite concearned Palmone engineer on february 27th (#571).

Posting Permissions