Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    My second, and third phone's sounded good at first also, then after a few hours for one, and a week for the other, they both sounded like crap.
    This got me thinking (always a bad thing)...

Is it possible that having this mic problem (at least for some people) could be as simple as getting some sort of debris in the mic holes?

I know you're all going to think I'm crazy, but it really wouldn't take much to muffle ones voice this way. I know because it happened to me on my old Samsung N400 phone a year or so ago. Also, a few times with my 650, the form-fit case has slipped down over the holes and the people I'm talking to mention it sounds like I suddenly fell in a hole or something.

I'm not saying there isn't a ligitimate mic issue; just offering another realistic possibility.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Was this sound patch something you could just download and install into the t650 or was it done by a rom update? I'm looking for a way to get the sound patch, but without the whole ROM update process. Can anyone help??? Just in case, my email is myfiles1105@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by keswick
    Was this sound patch something you could just download and install into the t650 or was it done by a rom update? I'm looking for a way to get the sound patch, but without the whole ROM update process. Can anyone help??? Just in case, my email is myfiles1105@yahoo.com

It is done by a rom update. However you don't have to do one that modifies your software, there is a basic one that only fixes the sound issue.
    I have a brand new T650 - if sound is an issue (will be firing it up tomorrow) and I want to install this ROM updater - I have a question - I do not want Real (too much memory when I'll be using Ptunes anyway) or Versamail (I'll be using Snapper) - should I download a ROM updater that does not include these from Shadowmite? Seems like the logical thing to do - retest for sound quality, then work installing apps...reasonable?

THANKS
    Charliec
    Can some please send me the patch and instructions to tracerhawk@aol.com?

Thanks in advance!!
    Wow I cannot find any answers... can someone please simplify these 530 posts? Has there been a fix for the mic issue?
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    Wow I cannot find any answers... can someone please simplify these 530 posts? Has there been a fix for the mic issue?
    ditto. nobody can hear crap, and I'm on my second phone.
    shadowmite.com

Go there, and be heeled. But it's not for the week at heart. If you are not 100% comfortable updating your ROM, don't do it!!!!
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    This got me thinking (always a bad thing)...

Is it possible that having this mic problem (at least for some people) could be as simple as getting some sort of debris in the mic holes?

I know you're all going to think I'm crazy, but it really wouldn't take much to muffle ones voice this way. I know because it happened to me on my old Samsung N400 phone a year or so ago. Also, a few times with my 650, the form-fit case has slipped down over the holes and the people I'm talking to mention it sounds like I suddenly fell in a hole or something.

I'm not saying there isn't a ligitimate mic issue; just offering another realistic possibility.
    Dude, I am so sick of this S#!t. I have the ROM update, and it seems better, but still not as good as my old Samsung I-330. I must say I would believe anything could be the problem. The only thing I know for sure is my friends think I am stupid for spending so much for a phone that doesn't work for crap as an actual phone. I am going to get back on the phone with Sprint to get a trouble ticket going. Maybe if they have enough of them, they will get things moving toward fixing this problem.

Lets all get a trouble ticket started. It will take many of them for them to pay attention to this problem, and get any new ROM update speed up.

Oh, by the way, I work in a clean room environment, and we use stereoscopes, I will check out my mike holes at 35X Wed. night and let you know if I see anything in there. If I really feel risky I will check it out on another device at 100X, but if I get caught with my dirty cell phone on the equipment, you guys are going to have to pay.
    Last edited by skydivewags; 12/28/2004 at 01:38 AM.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    Lets all get a trouble ticket started. It will take many of them for them to pay attention to this problem, and get any new ROM update speed up.

Word!!!

Thanks for the responce, I've heard all about shadowmite and seen the site, I am going to call Sprint tomorrow and see whats going on. Depending on the response I get I'll probably end up using shadows update. But if that doesnt fix things I may return this thing and hopefully get a good working one, if not, return it for good.

I would really like to know who tests these phones?? HOW could they do this on THE TREO 650?!?!? I love everything about this phone, well, except the the PHONE!
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    Well, I put the patch on and it really hasn't helped me. I've actually gotten more complaints. I was in the airport and the other end could hardly make out what I was saying. So, I tried to reinstall a different version of the rom (taking off Versa), we'll see how that goes.
    It really seems that people can't hear me when I am in a noisy area, that I keep "cutting in and out". So it MUST me a noise cancellation issue.
    I just got the patch on yesterday evening. I'll have to give it a few days to see if I can run into any issues. Hopefully there won't be any.
  13. llc
    I am about to return my second 650 due to the poor phone quality. (Luckily I didn't sell my 600 on eBay quite yet!) I spoke with PalmOne tech support about the poor sound qualilty issue this morning and was told that a hard reset would take care of the problem. I know this is not the case and asked the tech support person if they were aware of the problem (knowing fully well that they are) - she said their engineers are working on it. When I asked if it was a hardware or a software problem, she told me it was a hardware problem. What a joke.
    Regarding the microphone being a hardware issue, I thought I should relate my experience with the SoundRec App.

I haven't been told anyone is having difficulty hearing me, but having recently purchased the Treo 650 and downloaded SoundRec, since there is not built-in voice memo program, I was surprised that the sound quality was disturbing. I played with the recording volume and the playback volume. I've found it works "normally" if I turn the record volume down to TWO and turn the playback volume up to FIVE. What this seems to tell me is that the microphone is VERY sensitive.

I suppose what Sprint needs to do is:

1) Turn the mic down or find some way to better modulate its level.
    2) Provide user adjustment for the mic in the phone application.
    Last edited by chally; 12/29/2004 at 06:25 PM.
    Great info and observations chally! Very interesting. Good to know that there are concrete things that can be done.
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by llc
    I am about to return my second 650 due to the poor phone quality. (Luckily I didn't sell my 600 on eBay quite yet!) I spoke with PalmOne tech support about the poor sound qualilty issue this morning and was told that a hard reset would take care of the problem. I know this is not the case and asked the tech support person if they were aware of the problem (knowing fully well that they are) - she said their engineers are working on it. When I asked if it was a hardware or a software problem, she told me it was a hardware problem. What a joke.
    If it's a hardware issue, how did the ROM patch litearally fix many tc.com members' phones? (my 650 included)
    Chally:

Just an observation, but I found SoundRec to be the same way on the 600, especially with background noise. I can hear the playback just find, if I record from a semi quiet environment, but as soon as I try to record from the car, it is almost impossible to hear it clearly. Soooo, imho, I think that test is inconclusive.
    rkevwill:

I'm not getting any complaints in the car.
    Are you able to get SoundRec to work with the SD card? Mine won't let me do anything other than save to the memory, which I don't want to waste with recordings.
    Actually, I never tried to record to the card. Only to the unit itself. Course, I have about 10 meg remaining on the 600 anyway, so I never worried about it. I am not using it now, as like I said before, I was dissatisfied with the quality of the sound, even after turning it down WAY low, as some of the forums suggested. I will watch for future updates and see whatsup.

Like I said however, I don't think this one particular problem is specific to the 600 or 650, as its widely reported in the forums, that many users have clarity problems and offer some suggestions for workarounds. Mainly, by adjusting volume levels on recording and playback. (sounds eerily similar to the mic problems with the 650 actually).