Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cturek
    if I load it and it screws up the phone is there a way to flash it again without doing it through the palm OS itself?
    Not to my knowledge. We're just using what PalmOne gave faisal.

Has anyone done this on a 600 maybe?
    That has bad news written all over it.
    OK, so check this out. When you launch the updater, if you type in "list" you get the list of files...

Type in "rev 4" (4 can be replaced with anything you want.

It lists four revisions:
    cvt1
    cvt2
    dvt
    evt

Any ideas what the others are?

Bryan
    OK I did it. I modified this patch to remove versa mail and Real Player. I uploaded it and it seems to work fine. I am syncing my data back now. But even if there is an issue now it is probably just a matter of playing with the backup files.

I basically opened the ac-palmos.zip and deleted the file i didn't want. I wanted real player and versa mail off so I deleted multimail real player files. Then I ziped the files backup. I download an md5 checksum utility and got the checksum of the new zip file i created. I then ace-palmos.zip.md5 in notepad and replaced the checksum value in that file and then proceed to do the update as before. This is great. I think I might try to switch browsers now.
    Did it give you any more "user" ram?
    let us know how successful it is. are they gone?
    i couldnt remember how to check without Zlauncher but i'm sure it did. I removed it from ROM it had to have freed up the memory.
    LOL

- cturek, you are a fried Treo waiting to happen!! hehe.

Good luck - I wish you the best!! Now if you can put Docs to Go and Zlauncher in ROM...
    hmmmmm. I bet you could but really no point to is there?
    They would then reload with a hard reset. NO?
    No, a hard reset reloads files from ROM. If you run a firmware update, it changes what is in ROM. If the files have been removed from ROM by the update they can't reload after the hard reset.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    They would then reload with a hard reset. NO?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    cturek, did it really work? did you get rid of versacrap and fakeplayer? How much did you gain. Please share details and will you make this removal update available for others. Not here of course but somewhere???
    Last edited by Woof; 12/17/2004 at 01:00 PM.
    i downloaded the patch but failed to download the directions to install it and now they are gone.

my email is orders@nativetech.com if someone would forward them to me i would be eternally grateful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    No, a hard reset reloads files from ROM. If you run a firmware update, it changes what is in ROM. If the files have been removed from ROM by the update they can't reload after the hard reset.

I was talking about the benifits of ADDING files to the rom update

I was talking about the benifits of ADDING files to the rom update
    I knew what you meant http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif I'd love to load zlauncher into rom. I wish cturek or shadowmite would respond on this.

It would also be nice to dump Worldclock, QuickTour, Downloads and Software out of rom too.
    Last edited by Woof; 12/17/2004 at 01:35 PM.
    well here's the deal. I think I deleted 1 too many files (you knew that was happening). I got real player and versa mail off but I also just access to my SD card. So my treo is at sprint getting "fixed". I hope they can just put an old rom back on it. i dont know how to tell for sure if i get any extra memory out of it. I don't think you will be able to add stuff to rom without programming knowledge on palm os which i dont have.
    Hmm... wonder why they pulled the patch???

there's a valid reason.
    I think there was a certain level of tolerance, until people started manipulating the patch. Had the files been used as intended I think there would have been a blind eye at least for a little while longer.

For all we know Real Player might have threatened P1 with legal action for allowing the public acess to a file that removed there software. If I had paid P1 for my software to fixed, I would be pissed that this could happen. If P1 can't demonstrate that they actively try to maintain the integrity of the RP in the OS they would definately have a problem.

I personally think they have no probs with people updating the ROM I think they are just resulting to the age old policy of CYA

While it sucks that its gone, you guys had to see it coming right?
    Yes, see from another message:

"well here's the deal. I think I deleted 1 too many files (you knew that was happening). I got real player and versa mail off but I also just access to my SD card. So my treo is at sprint getting "fixed". I hope they can just put an old rom back on it. i dont know how to tell for sure if i get any extra memory out of it. I don't think you will be able to add stuff to rom without programming knowledge on palm os which i dont have."

It's one thing to have a patch lose, it's another to have a patching mechanism lose where some people can't leave well enough along, mess up their system which then has to go to Sprint to be returned to be fixed which will cost both Sprint and P1 money.

Hmm... wonder why they pulled the patch???

there's a valid reason.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Well I will take responsibility for breaking my Treo if P1 will take responsibility for selling me a broken one. Besides all they should need to do is re-flash it. We are giving them a testing ground they could not have without us. That being said I doubt that care that the ROM got out it is the rom Updater getting out that is a problem. I bet within 2 weeks someone will use that to get one of these working on Verizon. Hell now there is nothing that you can't do to the 650. They might as well not even bothering selling the GSM ones locked because I'm sure you can get by that with this ROM updater.
    Yes the patch is great because it fixed the voice quality here but that update will give us all limitless toys for as long as we use our 650. That is the golden egg.
    -CT
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I just wanted to take the time to officially apologize to my contacts at PalmOne for distributing the software.

My intent was to help all out and obtain feedback from the users so we can perfect the sound to be perfect.

In the effort to help them and all my fellow TREO owners i did not take into account the ramifications of sending the software out could have done to them and or sprint or other fellow TREO owners who could have potentially fried their unit.

SOrry again to PalmOne and the great people who helped me.

They are very concerned about this and are dedicated to finding a solution. I know that for sure.

Good Luck, You will not be hearing from me anymore on this issue.

Faisal