Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    ... not using a mic have had all on the other end say the quality of the voice was excellent.
    Were you using the built-in mic or an external one? (Bluetooth or wired) I think all agree that with an external mic the sound reproduction is excellent.
    Just left a test message on my office phone, both keeping close to the mic and relaxing like a normal call. Both sound fine in playback, though coming slightly away from the mic while talking sounded a bit less shrill. Volume setting was 1 bar from the top. I did get a complaint this AM when I first started a call. The lady repeated something back that I had said and she got it so incorrect that it was almost funny. That was at the very beginning of the conversation, the rest went fine.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    The lady repeated something back that I had said and she got it so incorrect that it was almost funny.
    I get that all the time. I think it's because these Yanks can't understand my British accent.

OffTopic: I once had to return a Cybergenie phone system because the voice recognition just didn't work with my accent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsey
    Were you using the built-in mic or an external one? (Bluetooth or wired) I think all agree that with an external mic the sound reproduction is excellent.
    Thanks for the question.

I meant just using the phone itself. So, using the internal mic.
    multiple calls in a variety of settings, not using a mic have had all on the other end say the quality of the voice was excellent.
    Hmm, so it sounds like this is definitely intermittent (some users see it come and go, others don't see it at all), which means it could be a number of things. Possibly a switching issue with Sprint and specific carriers, possibly a transient connection issue between the phone and Sprint service, possibly an intermittent device problem of some kind. It seems more likely that this isn't a device problem, although the probability is still greater than zero.
    multiple calls in a variety of settings, not using a mic have had all on the other end say the quality of the voice was excellent.
    ditto.
  7.    #27  
    Today, I tried to reduce the speaker volume when I'm on calls. So far in 4 calls, the other side didn't have a problem hearing me. But I don't really know that reducing the speaker volume helps to avoid the choppy sound problem for sure...
    As I go through the day, I occasionally turn the volume up depending on the calls that I'm on. 1 person that I talk to frequently is very bothered because of having to peice together what I'm saying. When I turn the volume down, it seems to help (down to 2 bars) - the other phone is a little louder than most people I talk to.
    Hope that p1 can get all these issues fixed quickly as this voice problem is making it hard to use the phone as a phone.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Multiple calls over the past 5 days with handset, speakerphone, wired headset and wireless BT250 headset. All calls flawless with the exception of the BT250 -- HATE IT! Not gonna use it. I suppose over the next weeks/months, I'll try out other BT headsets; I'll just wait a while and see what others' experiences are.
    I've already had a 2 - 3 hour conversation on my 650 (without a headset) and never had to repeat myself or got any complaints at all. Another friend told me I sound much better than I did on my Nokia 6225.
    FWIW, Some, but not all, Sprint users of the 6601 are reporting similar problems. I wonder if its a Network thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I've talked to several people while using my Bluetrek G2 headset, and they all say I'm clear as a bell. When talking directly into the 650, sans any handsfree devices, I have to repeat myself a lot.

So I just stick with the BT headset, despite the frequent static (another issue).
    So what do you think of the G2? I bought it and have it waiting for use with 650 once I get it in mail. Let me ask you a dumb question. I tried putting that thing on my ear and it doesnt seem like there is any real way that it sits there nice and snug. How are you using it? That little piece that goes around ear, does the arm go around back of ear or front?

Thanks,
    Eric
    I've had the same issue with the G2 -- I ordered it while waiting for my 650, and am using it now with my SE T610. The sound quality and such is very good, and people on the other end say it sounds good, but it doesn't stay seated in my ear too well. I thought it was just me.

I think it has to do with the fact that the G2 is symmetrical, so it can be used in either ears -- the part that actually sticks in your ear goes *straight in*, while your ear canal goes forward. Jabra wired headsets used to come with attachments for right and left ears for this reason.
    Well, after reading all of the complaints, it is painfully apparent, I am going to wait before "upgrading" from my 600 to the 650. Between the call quality, bluetooth problems, and memory issue, I have more pressing things to take up my time, than hassling with another tech issue!

What is becoming clear to me, is this phone is absolutely like a brand new device from a new company. The 600 was designed by Handspring, and did (does) what it was intended to do. It seems that when PalmOne got ahold of it, and "improved" it, all they did was mess up some major features.

I will wait for 3-6 months, and see what shakes out.
    I just posted a reply to Eric's topic about call quality. I got two calls from my husband on his 650 today. One call was perfectly trouble free. That call was from his office to me at our home phone. The second one was while he was in the car, and I was on the same phone as the previous conversation. That second call was choppy and digitized and garbled, but not consistently so. I noticed the choppiness if he would speak just immediately as I had finished saying something or if I started to speak as he was not quite finished. It was as if my side of the conversation was causing some sort of "attack" on the incoming signal. So long as I did not have anything to say and could let him talk for a stretch without my trying to talk back, his voice sounded fine. He said he could not really notice anything on his end. We both noted we were interrupting each other more often than usual, as if we could not hear one another's cues that we were not finished talking yet.

I don't know if this is an issue soley with the device or with Sprint and something they might have done to implement noise cancellation over CDMA. This was a possibility my husband brought up. Anyone have any insight about this possibility? I have no clue about this. I worked for a telco years ago, when cell phones were practically luggage sized.
    I've tried calling myself to hear how I sound, but I keep getting my voicemail.

Seriously, Treo 650 is working fine for me. No complaints -- not even in long calls, test calls to voicemail sound fine, bluetooth headset (HBH-600) working without a hitch.
    This call quality issue is beginning to smell like a Sprint/network issue, or perhaps some kind of handshaking issue with the device and Sprint's network. I think digging into it with Sprint is the place to start.
    I called my home phone from my Treo 650 and on my 650, I sound amazing when speaking into my home phone. But on my home phone, I sound horrible speaking into my Treo 650. It is choppy and the volume is messed up. I am returning the phone to Sprint. Again, duped again into getting new technology before it is tried and true.
    OK, here's what I found today. I was talking to my friend that complains the most about the voice quality, and we did some experimenting. By the way, I have talked to him on his cell, and landline, and he hears the same choppiness. When I talk to my Mom, she says nothing, but if I ask her, she says it doesn't sound quite right, so I think that many people that haven't been getting complaints, would find out the quality isn't great at the other end if they would just ask, most people try to be nice, and may not be complaining to you.

Since it sounded like it was clipping my voice, I tried to talk softer, and he said it was MUCH better. I then talked very loud, and he said it was AWFUL. This makes a lot of sense, since it seems to sound like the words are being clipped. I did not have the 600, but have seen that they had the mic. on the back of the phone, and now it is on the front. I would like to hear from any of you that could try this experiment. I also tried to put the mic. away from my mouth, and that may have helped a little. I think next I will try to put a piece of tape over the mic. and try that. I don't think it is just the mic. though, as I have heard of some problems with headsets, but I think the circuit may be easily overdriven. Let's keep experimenting!!!
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Know whut.....When I have tried the freeware voice recording program (sorry, name escapes me) on the 600, I have found the voice quality is REALLY bad, if you are in a car, and there is background noise. I think the mic is not that great, and it may be worse in the 650, from the sound of things. Again, I think I am gonna wait till some of these problems are fixed. We shouldnt have to turn down our volume to get minimally acceptable sound quality on the other end.
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast