Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    This is very frustrating. The two or the most anticipated phones this fall in the US both have audio problems.

Motorola MPX220 smartphone... Audio not loud enough.

Palm Treo 650 smartphone...

What is particularly frustrating about the Treo650 problem is that I have had real problems with echo when using speakerphone with the Treo600.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Taylor
    I have had my 650 about 10 days. I have had numerous people tell me that I sound muffled or ask me if I am on a speaker phone. I have called both Palm & Sprint tech support and they both agree that I sound much better when I am on a headset. When I unplug and am on the 650 mic, the quailty goes down. But both places have said that this is the first they had heard of this problem.

I have swapped my phone today at the Sprint Store and still have the same problem. While I was in the store, another customer came in and returned his 650 for the same reason.

Hopefully this can be fixed, but they have to admit they have a problem first.
  2. jda
    The Audiovox SMT 5600 does not have any of those problems and is a fantastic device. If you are willing to go the smartphone route I highly recommend it. Find a former AT&T wireless store that still has some stock and you can pick it up for $199 after rebate. I have one if you have any questions about it.
    i wonder if the actual microphone element itself is the cause?
    i seem to think the noise cancelling software is another
    contributer, but there isnt a peice of hardware i own that
    hasnt been taken apart in some sorta way and modified

i doo have a bunchload of mics laying around from my old star tac
    and various other motorola phone collections.......
    has anyone ever taken their treo apart? could they
    maybee snap a pic or too of the insides? or am i making
    a futile attempt at this? i just wanted to throw out some
    hardware ideas, sans the warrantee.....

also, does anyone have a schematic of the 650?

Quote Originally Posted by rriehl
    Huh?

Uhhhhh, sorry, folks. It was a joke. Humor, you know? Oh, well, guess I better keep my day job!

I still have very, very, VERY serious doubts about the good Mr. faisal. Something just doesn't sound right, and it isn't just his TREO 650!!! (Um, yes, that was supposed to be another joke....)

I really wish someone who was REALLY working with or for PalmOne would post something here and let us know that they are working on this sound thing. Mr. faisal wanted us to believe that they were, so maybe he was with PalmOne after all. I don't rightly know.
    Last edited by GWB; 12/14/2004 at 08:01 PM.
    I;m sorry.. I guess I take this stuff too seriously.
    I have a great idea...

Faisal - to quiet the doubters among us... could you post a screen shot of either ##786#, or "Phone Info" (with esn and mobile # blacked out, of course)? That might help with some of their doubt.
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
    Well I went to the Sprint store today, and the manager that has a 650 wasn't there, but one of the other managers called me on my phone, and he heard the cutting out. We were both at opposite ends of a quiet building, no background noises. He decided to swap it out for me, and unlike the other two 650's I've had, this one was ready to make a call in about 5 minuets!!

The bad part is, IT SOUNDED JUST AS BAD AS MY FIRST 2 PHONES!!!!

This really sucks. I did post that my second phone seemed to work ok when I got it, but it later did not. I am really curious if anyone is really not having this problem. It is intermittent, so a quick check may not revile the problem. And as I have said before, if you don't ask, some people will just not tell you it's happening.

I just swapped phones with a friend of mine tonight, and he first said, "Wow, it sounds great on this end" Then I started to hear him cutting out. It sounds like parts of the words are just being attenuated, and it does a "quick fade", out then in, and lasts for about a half a second. I see no correlation with background noises.

Faisal, if you do have some sort of patch, I'm game, I have had enough of this, and am about to go back to my old I-330...... NO! I don't want to do that. Heeelp...... Sprint/Palmone are not listening.

Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    Well I went to the Sprint store today, and the manager that has a 650 wasn't there, but one of the other managers called me on my phone, and he heard the cutting out. We were both at opposite ends of a quiet building, no background noises. He decided to swap it out for me, and unlike the other two 650's I've had, this one was ready to make a call in about 5 minuets!!

The bad part is, IT SOUNDED JUST AS BAD AS MY FIRST 2 PHONES!!!!

This really sucks. I did post that my second phone seemed to work ok when I got it, but it later did not. I am really curious if anyone is really not having this problem. It is intermittent, so a quick check may not revile the problem. And as I have said before, if you don't ask, some people will just not tell you it's happening.

I just swapped phones with a friend of mine tonight, and he first said, "Wow, it sounds great on this end" Then I started to hear him cutting out. It sounds like parts of the words are just being attenuated, and it does a "quick fade", out then in, and lasts for about a half a second. I see no correlation with background noises.

Faisal, if you do have some sort of patch, I'm game, I have had enough of this, and am about to go back to my old I-330...... NO! I don't want to do that. Heeelp...... Sprint/Palmone are not listening.

Makes you REALLY think why they ship the "free" BlueTooth head set.....
    I just recieved my 3rd Treo 650 from Palm. Good news... People tell me I sound much better than I did on my previous Treos. That was before I did my first hot sync. Then as I re-installed the Palm Desktop software, as usual it asked me if I wanted to connect to the internet and update my PHONE settings. All other times I have selected yes to that question. This time I selected no.

So far after my hot sync all is still a-okay (subject to change without notice ;-)

Here's the point: Does anyone think that updating the phone settings during the install could cause all the sound quality problems we've been having?

It's just a SWAG (Sophisticated Wild *** Guess) but I thought I would at least put it out there.
    rriehl
    now that sounds like a REAL possibility! Now if we can just get folks who are having the problems, let us know if they did indeed connect and update!
    One other thing. I heard someone mention their startac. Darn I sure hated when mine finally died. That phone lasted so long, had such great reception, and was so simple, it was just a good PHONE. Ahhhh those were the days
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I don't remember being asked that during the software install. But I'm on a Mac. Maybe this is a Windows only step?

I just recieved my 3rd Treo 650 from Palm. Good news... People tell me I sound much better than I did on my previous Treos. That was before I did my first hot sync. Then as I re-installed the Palm Desktop software, as usual it asked me if I wanted to connect to the internet and update my PHONE settings. All other times I have selected yes to that question. This time I selected no.

So far after my hot sync all is still a-okay (subject to change without notice ;-)

Here's the point: Does anyone think that updating the phone settings during the install could cause all the sound quality problems we've been having?

It's just a SWAG (Sophisticated Wild *** Guess) but I thought I would at least put it out there.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrewolf
    i wonder if the actual microphone element itself is the cause?
    That's my assumption. I don't see any other explanation for the fact that I traded a lousy-sounding 650 for another one and the new one sounds fine to everyone who complained about the old one. The software version number is exactly the same.

Which is why I have my doubts that any software patch is going to fix the problem. But maybe it's a matter of the microphone getting stuck in some weird mode due to a hardware problem, and they can forcibly reset it from software. Or something like that.
    Faisal:

Still waiting for my (phantom) Patch!!!!!!!

Its funny you mention this, because i will bet my left testical that before i did my hotsync i had no problems sounded great for 3 days. Right after i did a hotsync thats when the trouble started. Im telling you i would bet both nuts that i didnt have a problem till after i did the hotsync.
    I too have the sound problem. The blue tooth headset creats the same noise, popping problem. I am constantly told that I cannot be heard if a I am in any background noise.

In additioan, I found out the phone is unable to make a call in the roam mode. I can reveive calls, but am not able to make any outgoing call. At the beginning of the outgoing call, the call stops automatiaclly with no warning and returns to the standby mode.

Palmone and Sprint have both provided terrible support for this phone. I have spent more than 8 hours on the telephone with both, attempting to solve numerous problems.

I do not recommend the purchase of this phone until Palm One fixes the numerous software issues.

Russ
    Well, our good Mr. faisal has been silent since Monday night. He seems to like to post at night, so he didn't say anything last night. (This is Wednesday morning, by the way.)

I think he was not telling us the truth. What possible satisfaction does someone get leading a bunch of us down a path and then not delivering? Let us hope that the good people at PalmOne are truly working on a solution to this problem.
    By no means do I mean any disrespect to any treo users.

My friend is a total treo geek, and talked me into getting one a 650. I kept mine for 13 days and LOVED it. It was probably one of my fav PDA (and I've had Many). But it sounded like Do-Do. So I sent it back. I will probably get a new one when they come out with a software update because it seems like a simple noise cancelling glich.

My friend still has his 650 and loves it.
    Half the time he calls me from his New 650, he sounds like crap.
    He had about 5 treo 600's which ALL had problems.

My question is why are some hardcore treo guys and gals in denile about sound quality? I think there are more problems then people are admiting to because all the new features out weigh the poor sound quality.

But the bottom line is that it is a 450.00 phone that 1/2 the time is not clear. I think like that if more people complained and returned their phones, the faster palm would step up, admit the problem, and release a patch.

Please help me understand why my friend is so happy about his 650.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ucipass
    "I believe it when I see it"

Faisal: POST THE PATCHES OR DON'T POST ANYTHING!

I am an EE myself and I can't imagine working with a test environment where I do NOT have complete control over the test environment!
    I just got back from the west coast on business. I am back now if freezing chicago..GREAT CITY.

Anyways back to the issue at hand. I have been reading all the post for the past serveral days. let me answer most of them.

First off let me tell you where we are today. I will list two seprate emails from my contact which will give you all an idea of where we are.

This first one came Tuesday:

Hi Faisal,
    With all of your great feedback, we are narrowing in on the root cause of this problem. The audio software engineer is giving me another test build tonight which I will test tomorrow. If I can make a call on it, I will send it to you via the same method as last time. Stay tuned for a new build...we're getting closer...
    Thanks,

This one came yesterday:

Hi Faisal,
    I am checking out a new firmware build (this is the software that goes on the radio). I will send that to you later tonight. But this e-mail includes the official build. That means that if your unit crashes for any reason or the build I send to you later gives your problems, please re-flash to this build and your unit will operate as it did before. This is the hazard of experimental "engineering" builds )

Just wanted to give you the golden build to fall back upon.

To flash this on your device:

1. Unzip the file and put it on your Desktop
    2. Copy the file to your SD card under the Palm\Launcher folder (this is where all of your apps should reside)
    3. Insert the SD card into your device
    4. Tap the CDMAUpdater icon
    5. Press the big square button to begin flashing.

This will take about 5 minutes. IMPORTANT!!!...Make sure you plug your device into a charger before you start the process.

Again, you may not have to do anything with this build. But hold onto it in case you need it.

I did not yet recieve the latest firmware> i would assume i get it today. I will let all know.

I would also keep the info above handy in that if someone applys a patch in the future they can understand how to reload the origonal ROM.

Know in regards to people saying put up or shut up let me answer that.

I dont think it is wise to install the first attempt at a patch when it is not the final one. I still have some issues but its better than before. also you have to hard reset the device. Why would anyone hard reset more than once when i might have something soon to give you all. YES I WILL GIVE TO WHOMEVER ASKS A COPY OF THE PROCEDURE AND THE FIRMWARE UPDATE..NO PROBLEM.

I just dont have the time now to email stuff and get involved in that whole business, when i will probobly do it again real soon.

If someone wants the final patch they can email me at nonoem@yahoo.com, this way i can store emails as they come in and it will be easier on me. I hope everyone knows this is a lot of work and i am happy to do it for all you because i am in the same shoes and i would expect one of you all to do it also.

I will let everyone know what happens next.

If anyone has anymore questions or comments i would love to hear from them

P.S. GWB i want a nice gift from you when i send it. Maybe a ActiveSkin case or maybe a VAJA case?? Do you have any other ideas????
    This is depressing to me because I just got my replacement phone and am told it sounds very clear and I'm not breaking up any more. I thought it was just a microphone problem with a batch of phones. I know of 3 people who returned their phones (preordered) and the replacements are all fine - so far.