Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 611
  1. #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by coelacanth
    First off, the sound quality of voice quality on Treo650 was much much better than my old Treo300. I don't have any complain about it. But many people I talked said they couldn't hear well what I was saying. They said it sounded like the voice was chopped off like when you don't have enough reception or when you are in tunnel.

    I actually tried to call my home phone, and check the sound from home phone. (I was talking to Treo650, and receiving my own voice from home phone. Alone...)

    I think too high noise cancelling level on Treo is causing the problem. (I get same kind of chopped off sound when I use to much noise cancelling filter on sound files on computer)

    Anybody thinks this can be fixed by a software update or something in the future? Or maybe a Bluetooth headset (or any other headsets) might help? The cheap headset that came with Treo didn't help much. Some said it was a bit better than built-in mic though. How is everybody thinking about the voice quality on the other end?

    Do you think the result might be different if you were talking to somone other then yourself ?
  2. faisal's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Yea man, just give us the patch and SHHH... we won't tell anybody.

    Since you seem to be a believer if you send me your email i will send you this first round of patch.
    Keep in mind that it is not a full solution. it is a first attempt. Most of my friends say i sound better than before but it needs some fine tuning.

    Keep in mind you are responsible for your installation, dont come to me if things crash.

    I will also send you the pdf file with instructions on how to install the files.

    If you send these files out to others i will not send you the final working one. i am not trying to be a jerk but i respect the wishes of my contacts at PalmOne.

    GWB: You dont get a copy you dont believe
  3. faisal's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by swsteckly
    I'm slightly (slightly) suspicious, but I am also quite hopeful. It's odd, sure, but I think it's far from impossible.

    I am holding out hope that palm does indeed know about this and is working on a fix that will be out soon (like within the next week or two).

    Faisal has little evidence to prove that what he's saying is legit, and everyone else has no evidence whatsoever to prove him wrong. If you 'call BS', there's no need to post your feelings about it. Let the man post, I think we will all know soon enough if he is correct.
    I will give you the first patch too if you want it. the same rules apply to the other guy.
  4. #264  
    i "Just" ordered my 650...sunday Woohoo..
    hopefully, the problem you guys are having
    isnt contaigous.......
  5. #265  
    I dont think anyone should assume anything about anyone!

    I think we should all do our best to resolve this problem and try to inform each other on what they are doing to duplicate the problem. Maybe it will help palm find a quicker fix for this audio problem...

    Anyhow if anyone else has a way to reproduce the audio problem please tell us your experience on how you did it...

    Michael
  6. #266  
    Just wondering, Faisal, you're dealing with PalmOne, right? Don't they make hardware? Shouldn't you be dealing with PalmSource, the company that makes the software? Just curious why the hardware company is sending you updatrd software. (or maybe I'm digging too deep here-haha).

    Any updates?
  7. #267  
    Above should read 'updated' (posting on my Treo!)
  8. #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    Since you seem to be a believer if you send me your email i will send you this first round of patch.
    Keep in mind that it is not a full solution. it is a first attempt. Most of my friends say i sound better than before but it needs some fine tuning.

    Keep in mind you are responsible for your installation, dont come to me if things crash.

    I will also send you the pdf file with instructions on how to install the files.

    If you send these files out to others i will not send you the final working one. i am not trying to be a jerk but i respect the wishes of my contacts at PalmOne.

    GWB: You dont get a copy you dont believe

    Doesn't bother me. I'm waiting on the GSM TREO 650. However, your attitude tells us a lot, Mr. faisal.

    If you "respect the wishes" of your new friends at PalmOne, you wouldn't even send the stuff to those who overtly believe you. If I were them, I wouldn't load the stuff onto my TREO. Sounds to me like you are putting this together yourself. Post the entire email and maybe you will have some credibility. Maybe.

    It still doesn't make sense to me that they are dealing with one isolated user when there has been so much discussion on this. Much as I want to believe you, Mr. faisal, I don't think you are legitimate. No offense to your parents.
  9. #269  
    Holy CRAP y'all have been busy... I haven't had time to read this since friday and WOW...

    faisal - again, thanks for your work on this. Presuming this is legit (and I, like others, have no reason to believe it ISN'T), this could help accelerate the process.

    Also - all of you wondering why P1 is working with ONE GUY on the patch instead of doing it internally... I'll tell you - I've been in the IT industry for a long time and I've seen companies work with the little guy on a patch to fix a specific problem. Sure. they can test it in house, and they probably ARE testing it in house before giving it to faisal, but they can BEST test a problem by giving the patch to SOMEONE EXPERIENCING the problrem. I've had Microsoft (on the large end) and GFI (on the small end) both send me very early patches relating to a specific problem I'm experiencing, after working with their teams to determine the problem and a specific fix. Later, after much testing on their part, those very early patches make it in to a main-stream release... And I'm not part of some big IT company like Perot Systems or EDS... I just have a small firm based in Columbia, SC. I'm "no one" and yet these other companies have worked with me... As such, again, this does not surprise me at all.
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

    Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
  10. #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Just wondering, Faisal, you're dealing with PalmOne, right? Don't they make hardware? Shouldn't you be dealing with PalmSource, the company that makes the software? Just curious why the hardware company is sending you updatrd software. (or maybe I'm digging too deep here-haha)
    I didn't see this answered, so I'll stab at this...

    If I understand the P1/PS relationship, PS makes the software for (basically) anyone to license. P1 licenses the software from PS, just like Kyocera or any others. As such, once P1 licenses it, it is up to them to customize it to their specific device. Therefore, P1 would be responsible for patches, not PS.
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

    Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
  11. #271  
    OMG.. now my "P" key on my keyboard is stuck. If it's not one thing it's another. Jeez Palm.
  12. #272  
    I have had my 650 about 10 days. I have had numerous people tell me that I sound muffled or ask me if I am on a speaker phone. I have called both Palm & Sprint tech support and they both agree that I sound much better when I am on a headset. When I unplug and am on the 650 mic, the quailty goes down. But both places have said that this is the first they had heard of this problem.

    I have swapped my phone today at the Sprint Store and still have the same problem. While I was in the store, another customer came in and returned his 650 for the same reason.

    Hopefully this can be fixed, but they have to admit they have a problem first.
  13. faisal's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574
    I dont think anyone should assume anything about anyone!

    I think we should all do our best to resolve this problem and try to inform each other on what they are doing to duplicate the problem. Maybe it will help palm find a quicker fix for this audio problem...

    Anyhow if anyone else has a way to reproduce the audio problem please tell us your experience on how you did it...

    Michael
    Mike the audio settings for the microphone have nothing to do with the PalmOS software.

    It is seprate.

    I can also tell you that after three treo's this first attempt at a fix was very helpful. My friends and wife all say i sound much better. There still neeeds to be fine tuning but no more Tunnel sound.

    And i will share with everyone with this forum the patch. One thing that i asked the contacts at PalmOne as when the rest of the community can get the patch. my contact said that that is not there area but they would have to talk to others. I dont know but i would think they would want to issue a fix asap.
  14. faisal's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #274  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Taylor
    I have had my 650 about 10 days. I have had numerous people tell me that I sound muffled or ask me if I am on a speaker phone. I have called both Palm & Sprint tech support and they both agree that I sound much better when I am on a headset. When I unplug and am on the 650 mic, the quailty goes down. But both places have said that this is the first they had heard of this problem.

    I have swapped my phone today at the Sprint Store and still have the same problem. While I was in the store, another customer came in and returned his 650 for the same reason.

    Hopefully this can be fixed, but they have to admit they have a problem first.
    Jim believe me i had the same exact problem. Dont buy another phone. I will give you some comfort in the latest email i recieved from the engineer i am working with to resolve this issue.

    Hi Faisal,
    Thank you so much for the feedback! You're a key part of solving this problem.

    I have a couple more questions the next time you talk to those friends:

    1. Do they perceive the clarity as lower than before (i.e. more muddy or muffled), or is it the same?

    2. The same with the scratchiness?

    These speak to the parameters that I can tweak. I could perceivably improve the clarity by changing a different gain setting, but other things will be affected.

    I will be working on this problem all this week and will most likely push another test build to you before the weekend. I will be leaving for Christmas vacation on December 18th, but if you have any problems at all (if the test build crashes, for example), please feel free to call


    I will share with all the results.
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    Mike the audio settings for the microphone have nothing to do with the PalmOS software.

    It is seprate.

    I can also tell you that after three treo's this first attempt at a fix was very helpful. My friends and wife all say i sound much better. There still neeeds to be fine tuning but no more Tunnel sound.

    And i will share with everyone with this forum the patch. One thing that i asked the contacts at PalmOne as when the rest of the community can get the patch. my contact said that that is not there area but they would have to talk to others. I dont know but i would think they would want to issue a fix asap.

    Can you please send me the patch so i can try it out? My email is suprat94@aol.com

    Thank You,

    Michael
  16. #276  
    Dear Abby,

    Today, my shy, never-insulting 76-year-old mom, imitated my treo voice by talking "gap-like." She asked what the problem was. I said i switched to a phone that "does everything." My mom said, "everything but be a phone!" She's never mean, especially around Christmas-time.

    I find myself thinking thoughts of "I still want my wonderful Treo, even if i sound, echo-y, gappy, skippy, background-y." I told her she sounds great, but she didnt seem to care, she then imitated my partial voice again.

    This sucks! What am i supposed to do? Trade the 650 in for another gappy Treo? Is there any reason to think my next Treo will be different for my mom's experience of my voice, than this one?

    Is it REALLY true that using a headset REPLACES the defective system delivering parts of my voice to mom?

    My girlfriend comments too, but she hasnt imitated me yet--she still likes me despite my phone. But those days could be numbered.

    Gapped up, Randy
  17. #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh
    Holy CRAP y'all have been busy... I haven't had time to read this since friday and WOW...

    faisal - again, thanks for your work on this. Presuming this is legit (and I, like others, have no reason to believe it ISN'T), this could help accelerate the process.

    Also - all of you wondering why P1 is working with ONE GUY on the patch instead of doing it internally... I'll tell you - I've been in the IT industry for a long time and I've seen companies work with the little guy on a patch to fix a specific problem. Sure. they can test it in house, and they probably ARE testing it in house before giving it to faisal, but they can BEST test a problem by giving the patch to SOMEONE EXPERIENCING the problrem. I've had Microsoft (on the large end) and GFI (on the small end) both send me very early patches relating to a specific problem I'm experiencing, after working with their teams to determine the problem and a specific fix. Later, after much testing on their part, those very early patches make it in to a main-stream release... And I'm not part of some big IT company like Perot Systems or EDS... I just have a small firm based in Columbia, SC. I'm "no one" and yet these other companies have worked with me... As such, again, this does not surprise me at all.
    I've also been given test patches that were sent to only me. Not just small companies too, but as you mention, even the mighty Microsoft themselves have sent test patches that fix problems to our department at my University that I work at as well. So its definitely not uncommon.
  18. #278  
    I called both Sprint and Palm today to complain about the voice quality on my 650. Both companies say they have no knowledge of any issues about the phone.

    The sprint representative I spoke with agreed that the voice quality was not very good, she rated it on a scale of 1-5 (5 being best) at 3. I do not think they were being untruthful, i think they are not yet aware of the issues. The Sprint person told me and i quote, "customer support is the last to know about issues".

    I tested the phone today again myself from a land line and it was not that bad... but several people i speak to on a regular basis are very critical of the quality.

    I will hate to give up the features of this phone but time is running out for me on returning it.
  19. #279  
    I just got off the phone with faisal. His phone does sound a little better than mine so i think the patch is making the phone work better. I am looking forward to seeing the resaults of the new updated patch.

    What we all need to do is explain our problems with this issue and he will forward it to the tech working on this problem. All imput is important.

    I just want my phone to work. I got mine free so i really wont be out any money, but after using this phone i will kinda be sad to go back to my 600 while they work out the bugs in the 650.
  20. #280  
    faisal,

    Glad to hear more good news!

    I hope you got the private message I sent you. If you are still wishing to share the patch, my email address is me@swsteckly.com.

    Of course, there is no hurry at all and I don't want to be percieved as being pushy. I just want to make sure you got my message.

    Take care.

Posting Permissions