Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rriehl
    I call B.S.
    Hey you guys can think what you want. I cant answer the questions you post but i am telling you i was on the phone today and downloaded the first attempt at a patch. and my phone does sound better. its not perfect but my friends are saying i sound a bit better.

I dont understand some of this myself. I would also think that PalmOne woudl want to do things differently.

I offered my help and my unit and they said they would love to work with me.

I think maybe they wanted to get feedback from actual customers.

Well again, i will keep all up to date. Believe what you want but in the end you will all owe me one.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I am not a techie but i the SD card had to be installed in my unit with a bunch of files that could not be installed via the Palm INstaller. The files werent compatible with the application.

I clicked on the prc file and then it pulled all the files from the SD card and i had to hard reset.

I didnt have a SD card reader so that is why i was fedexed the sd card with a reader they wanted to supply me.

I then talked to the engineer today and they sent it to me via FTP. I Then went to Best Buy to buy a SD card reader so that i can install the files on the SD card.

I then put it into the 650 adn the rest is history. I will be doing the same process when the next fine tuning takes place.
    Ok.. let's see a scan of the receipt for the sd reader....
    I'm slightly (slightly) suspicious, but I am also quite hopeful. It's odd, sure, but I think it's far from impossible.

I am holding out hope that palm does indeed know about this and is working on a fix that will be out soon (like within the next week or two).

Faisal has little evidence to prove that what he's saying is legit, and everyone else has no evidence whatsoever to prove him wrong. If you 'call BS', there's no need to post your feelings about it. Let the man post, I think we will all know soon enough if he is correct.
    If you are willing to share so much information, then you should be willing to share the "patch" or at least show proof of it. I hope you aren't BS-ing, but I think you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I hate to be pessimistic, but I'm starting to think this too. The more I read the responses, the more I wonder...

Why must P1 fedex/ftp/etc. a patch to one consumer? Can't they just use this update "in house" and have 20-30 employees make hundreds of calls to test the patch? Seriously, if one phone has the problem, ALL of them have to (running same software, same hardware, etc). For those phones that "work just fine" I think it has something to do with the circumstances, etc.

Not that I'm calling you a fraud faisal, but I certainly am confused at the way this corporation is seeking to fix it's own product, by selecting a single customer...as if they couldn't handle it in-house?

BTW, you sure the engineer's reason for fedexing the SD card to you was because he didn't know how else to get it on your phone????? Wow, that's suspicious man. (again, not that I don't want to trust you, but this IS the internet...haha).

I am, however, eagerly awaiting your feedback...we'll see.
    It's a little too suspicious. I bet that faisal's a PalmOne employee just trying to encourage everyone to stay with the 650 because the fix is "just around the corner"...or just a compulsive liar. (In the slight off chance that he's telling the truth, err...well, I'm still doubtin' it!)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmoose
    If you are willing to share so much information, then you should be willing to share the "patch" or at least show proof of it. I hope you aren't BS-ing, but I think you are.
    Yea man, just give us the patch and SHHH... we won't tell anybody.
    Well, Im from Michigan. I just recieved my new treo650 that sprint sent me for free as an upgrade for being a loyal customer. And I must say I am having the same problem with my phone.

It sounds perfect when your in a quiet room. But when there is any background noise at all BOOM the other person will hear you like your yelling in a megaphone in his ear. Not to mention the muffeled sounds and cracking that your all talking about.

Again to recap if you want to reproduce the problem just be in a room with alot of background noise. That is why on some calls you sound clear and some you sound like SH*T...

I hope they get a fix for this. I will be taking my phone back to sprint and get a credit till they fix the problem and use my treo 600 till then

On a good note. WOW is the internet fast on the 650. I love the screen, camera is like wow that much better. I havent used the bluetooth headset yet but i guess i will wait for a working phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    Hey you guys can think what you want. I cant answer the questions you post but i am telling you i was on the phone today and downloaded the first attempt at a patch. and my phone does sound better. its not perfect but my friends are saying i sound a bit better.

I dont understand some of this myself. I would also think that PalmOne woudl want to do things differently.

I offered my help and my unit and they said they would love to work with me.

I think maybe they wanted to get feedback from actual customers.

Well again, i will keep all up to date. Believe what you want but in the end you will all owe me one.
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    I am not a techie but i the SD card had to be installed in my unit with a bunch of files that could not be installed via the Palm INstaller. The files werent compatible with the application.

I clicked on the prc file and then it pulled all the files from the SD card and i had to hard reset.

I didnt have a SD card reader so that is why i was fedexed the sd card with a reader they wanted to supply me.

I then talked to the engineer today and they sent it to me via FTP. I Then went to Best Buy to buy a SD card reader so that i can install the files on the SD card.

I then put it into the 650 adn the rest is history. I will be doing the same process when the next fine tuning takes place.

Sorry, Mr. faisal, but this story does not sound true to me anymore. Seems to me that with all the resources available to the good people at PalmOne, they could at least come up with a way to get a file into your TREO without using an SD card. In my perusal of this bulletin board over the past couple days, it just baffles me that they would pick you and only you to do this when people have been complaining about this problem just about since the TREO 650 came out. If they wanted to do some consumer type testing, they could have done that by emailing some of the folks that posted here or something like that. I would figure they can do most of this testing stuff in their own place. On top of everything else, they haven't been all that quick to respond to problems anyway.

I think you better put up or shut up, as they say where I'm from.....
    "faisal" has left the building

(And the crowd turns ugly!!!!)
    I have just started encountering this issue on my Treo 650 as well. Or, I should say, that people have finally starting complaining about it to me.

Another issue or the same?: I used my wired headset (theBoom) to make a call and was told that I was cutting in & out. I doublechecked that everything was plugged-in tight (yep, everything was snug) and that I had a good signal (had 4 bars). Anybody else encounter this?

Thanks!
    -Brian-
    I have read everyones post and I think my phone is suffering the same issues!!! I just can not get the volume out of the 650 that I could get out of my 600. My wife will say she can not hear me or that I sound broken. I am on my second bluetooth headset: #1 moto HS810???, I had it for less than 24 hours, way to low volume. #2 is a belkin unit that I do like and I have a logitech on order just to compare, but today at the mall, called my wife and with the phone on my belt, nothing but static!!! I have been waiting for this phone, really wanting the BT for conversation and now not even the handset on its own is up to par. So there you have it another owner, long time user who is hoping they make the corrections fast, but in the end what do we do??
    Faisal?
    MAN!!! THIS IS ONE LONG THREAD!! Here's a long post to match.

OK, after extensive testing I believe I have found the source of the call quality problem discussed so extensively in this thread. A little background before my explaination: I have two Treo 650's and for the past two weeks, both of them have worked flawlessly (until recently). Recently while talking to my my wife (both of us on Treo 650's) she couldn't understand what I was saying but I could hear her clearly. She was in a car with other people talking around her, I was at home in relative quietness. I hung up and called her back only to get the same results. After trying this a few more times, I realized something was seriously wrong with my phone. This is where the testing began, yielding these results:

The audio clipping is only experienced when people on both ends of the phone call are talking simultaneously. For some reason, the treo cuts the audio being received by it's mic when the caller on the other end is talking.

Here's a good test (2 people needed):

1. Initiate a call between a landline and a Treo 650. Make sure there is no background noise on both sides of the call.

2. Have the person on the landline sing a note and hold it for 10 seconds. The note will be clearly heard on the Treo.

3. Have the person on the Treo sing a note and hold it for 10 seconds. The note will be clearly heard on the landline.

SO GOOD SO FAR

4. Have the person on the landline sing a note and hold it for 10 seconds. During this 10 seconds, have the person on the Treo count out loud from 1 to 10. The person on the landline will hear the person on the Treo count from 1 to 10 and the person on the Treo will hear the person on the landline hold the note.

NOW IT GET'S INTERESTING...

5. Have the person on the Treo sing a note and hold it for 10 seconds. During this 10 seconds, have the person on the landline count from 1 to 10. Make sure there is at least a small pause between each number being spoken. As the person on the landline speaks each number, he/she will hear a significant (if not total) drop in the volume of the note being held by the person on the Treo. During the pause between each number, the volume of the note being held by the person on the Treo will return.

CONCLUSIONS

1. Since this problem is very dramatic on my Treo but only mildly apparent on my wife's Treo, this is not an across the board defect of all Treos.

2. This may be a problem that grows progressively worse with use, since initially I did not experience this problem at all. And now it is very dramatic.

3. This problem is not experienced when using my Treo with the Jabra BT250 bluetooth headset, so it is not related to Sprint's network.

4. It's not clear whether this problem is exclusively software or hardware related. Although it may appear to be hardware related because the problem is not experienced when a BT headset is in use, this may not be a correct assumption because a different software profile is required for each mode (headset vs. no headset).

5. As evidenced by step 5 of the test above, this problem is only experienced when the Treo is handling incoming audio and outgoing audio and this should be a starting point for the fix team.

FINALLY

I attempted to get in touch with PalmOne by phone (landline phone I should add) and after wading through endless voice menus, and waiting on hold for over 10 minutes, the call got mysteriously disconnected. So here's hoping PalmOne gets word of this bug.
    go.digital
    to be honest mine didn't have a problem until i did a hotsync. Mine was working flawlessly!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I'm now having intermittent problems.

In fact, had "major volume drops" on the other end while using a new headset. Checked the headset on another phone - it works fine.

Speaker phone seems to have no probs - or maybe just not yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by dulan
    MAN!!! THIS IS ONE LONG THREAD!! Here's a long post to match.

OK, after extensive testing I believe I have found the source of the call quality problem discussed so extensively in this thread. A little background before my explaination: I have two Treo 650's and for the past two weeks, both of them have worked flawlessly (until recently). Recently while talking to my my wife (both of us on Treo 650's) she couldn't understand what I was saying but I could hear her clearly. She was in a car with other people talking around her, I was at home in relative quietness. I hung up and called her back only to get the same results. After trying this a few more times, I realized something was seriously wrong with my phone. This is where the testing began, yielding these results:

The audio clipping is only experienced when people on both ends of the phone call are talking simultaneously. For some reason, the treo cuts the audio being received by it's mic when the caller on the other end is talking.

Here's a good test (2 people needed):

1. Initiate a call between a landline and a Treo 650. Make sure there is no background noise on both sides of the call.

2. Have the person on the landline sing a note and hold it for 10 seconds. The note will be clearly heard on the Treo.

3. Have the person on the Treo sing a note and hold it for 10 seconds. The note will be clearly heard on the landline.

SO GOOD SO FAR

4. Have the person on the landline sing a note and hold it for 10 seconds. During this 10 seconds, have the person on the Treo count out loud from 1 to 10. The person on the landline will hear the person on the Treo count from 1 to 10 and the person on the Treo will hear the person on the landline hold the note.

NOW IT GET'S INTERESTING...

5. Have the person on the Treo sing a note and hold it for 10 seconds. During this 10 seconds, have the person on the landline count from 1 to 10. Make sure there is at least a small pause between each number being spoken. As the person on the landline speaks each number, he/she will hear a significant (if not total) drop in the volume of the note being held by the person on the Treo. During the pause between each number, the volume of the note being held by the person on the Treo will return.

CONCLUSIONS

1. Since this problem is very dramatic on my Treo but only mildly apparent on my wife's Treo, this is not an across the board defect of all Treos.

2. This may be a problem that grows progressively worse with use, since initially I did not experience this problem at all. And now it is very dramatic.

3. This problem is not experienced when using my Treo with the Jabra BT250 bluetooth headset, so it is not related to Sprint's network.

4. It's not clear whether this problem is exclusively software or hardware related. Although it may appear to be hardware related because the problem is not experienced when a BT headset is in use, this may not be a correct assumption because a different software profile is required for each mode (headset vs. no headset).

5. As evidenced by step 5 of the test above, this problem is only experienced when the Treo is handling incoming audio and outgoing audio and this should be a starting point for the fix team.

FINALLY

I attempted to get in touch with PalmOne by phone (landline phone I should add) and after wading through endless voice menus, and waiting on hold for over 10 minutes, the call got mysteriously disconnected. So here's hoping PalmOne gets word of this bug.

Well you hit it right on the nose. I just did the same experiment, so as i was saying if you have any background noise it will cancel out the other person on the other end. or if you try to talk at the same time as someone else it will cancel each other out.

I hope palm has a fix for this fast because they will be losing alot of business.
    Yep, that's the exact problem I am having.

WTF...doesn't anyone from Palm care??? I am sure they read this stuff so what gives?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    It's a little too suspicious. I bet that faisal's a PalmOne employee just trying to encourage everyone to stay with the 650 because the fix is "just around the corner"...or just a compulsive liar. (In the slight off chance that he's telling the truth, err...well, I'm still doubtin' it!)
    I am not an employee. I am also not a compulsive liar.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB

Sorry, Mr. faisal, but this story does not sound true to me anymore. Seems to me that with all the resources available to the good people at PalmOne, they could at least come up with a way to get a file into your TREO without using an SD card. In my perusal of this bulletin board over the past couple days, it just baffles me that they would pick you and only you to do this when people have been complaining about this problem just about since the TREO 650 came out. If they wanted to do some consumer type testing, they could have done that by emailing some of the folks that posted here or something like that. I would figure they can do most of this testing stuff in their own place. On top of everything else, they haven't been all that quick to respond to problems anyway.

I think you better put up or shut up, as they say where I'm from.....
    GWB, you have been doubting me all along. I understand your skepticism and i cant say that i blame you. I too would think the same things you do. So in an effort to build some credibility to my claim i will give you another peak at a snippet of an email that was sent to me. You could think i am bs'ing, thats your right but for the other "believers" i have it listed.

Hi Faisal,

I have sent an SD card and SD writer to your house, delivered by 8:30am. The SD card contains our engineering build. Here's how you load it:

1. IMPORTANT!!! Plug your device into the charger first. Hot sync if you haven't already. Remember. At the end of this, you'll have to hard reset your device, so you will lose everything on it.

2. When you put the card in the SD slot, it should default to the "Card" applications menu.

3. Tap the ROMUpdater app. It will take you to a screen with a lot of text.

4. Type "rev cvt2" (no quotes). Hit the return key.

5. Type "ace" (no quotes). Hit the return key.

6. After the flash is complete, it will say, "PLEASE HARD RESET YOUR DEVICE". Here's how you do it:

a) Remove the battery cover and use the stylus to do a pin reset, located on the left side of the battery.

b) Quickly look at the LCD. You will see a bar moving from left to right. Before it reaches about midpoint on the bottom of the screen, press and hold down the RED phone button until you see the Palm logo.

c) When you see the Palm logo (the moving bar is gone), release the RED phone button. You will be prompted to press the up button to erase all of your data. Please do so.

7. Follow the steps to recalibrate your touch screen.

8. You're done! Re-sync your data and turn on your radio by pressing and holding the RED phone button.

Please let me know if this new build has made your situation any better. We are working on other fixes, but I wanted to get something to you immediately. I think the final fix will be a combination of ROM software and radio software (they're separate). I'm very interested in how your friends on the other end receive your voice. Is it less choppy? Is it loud enough? Is it too loud?

Thank you again for your help! And have a great weekend!

I cant wait for the next set of comments