Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rriehl
    Well I just got off the phone with PalmOne and they are shipping me out yet another replacement unit. (2nd replacement to date) All because of the sound quality issue. The rep stated that he had seen the complaints here at tc.com but was not sure what if anything was being done about it.

I have also sent a letter to the CEO of Palm to complain. If anyone else would like to write to the ceo you can do so here:

palmOne, Inc. Corporate Headquarters
    400 N. McCarthy Blvd.
    Milpitas, CA 95035
    Attention: Todd Bradley, CEO

UPDATE:
    I have sent the letter to Todd Bradley via regular and certified mail.
    I also called the corporate phone number 408-503-7000 and told the operator that I would like to make a complaint... she forwarded me to Mr. Bradley's voicemail. I left three messages for him yesterday and faxed my letter to their office (408-503-2750)... I have still not received any reply.

I am very disheartened by this whole situation, does Palm even care? <sigh> The PPC-6601 is looking better everyday.
    I just recived a phone call from a sound engineer at corp in california. she aplologized foe the problem and she IS working on it, I can assure you. she is in contactbwith me and I will keep all abreast. that's all I can say now. I don't know when I will hear from her again but I think it will be within the next several days or sooner. I have her name number and email. she IS the right person and she does want to help us. talk to u all soon.
    Wow. Awesome! I can't wait to hear more. Please keep us informed!
    Hooray! I called a couple more people this morning, and they said I sounded much better than before. So I think it was simply faulty microphone hardware, rather than a fundamental design flaw. I am relieved -- I wasn't looking forward to having to return my 650 since even the bad-sounding unit was otherwise a great device.

Now to figure out which Bluetooth headset I want...
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Well i wanted to give everyone an update on my work with PalmOne. They are sending me some software to try on my phone tomorrow. They are sending me tomorrow a software upgrade. I am going to be the guinee pig. I will try it out and report to them the sound quality. I dont think its hardware related, it appears, per the sound engineer at PalmOne to be software related.

THIS IS NOT A FIX YET THEY ARE EXPERIMENTING... If i had to guess this is the first of maybe several tests to fine tune this thing. But i am sure once it does work and i report that they will issue a notice. but that is me talking not them. I dont really know formally what they would do, but i am sure they will do something.

I am mentioning this for two reasons:

first i think there are some really good people at PalmOne and of those they are trying to help.

Two. They are aware of the issue

Three. I dont want people returning the product without an opportunity for PalmOne to fix this thing.

I will give an update once i get a chance tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    first i think there are some really good people at PalmOne and of those they are trying to help.

Three. I dont want people returning the product without an opportunity for PalmOne to fix this thing.

Good work, Faisal! (any relation to the king?)

This is good news for us potential 650 (GSM) buyers. But I don't understand why they are filtering all this through a user. Why don't they have Treo Central put this on the front page?
    Does nothing for me.
    Me neither.

In fact, I did some fairly detailed testing simply by sitting at my desk and calling my work voicemail. Keep in mind this is a fairly quiet office (which means moderate white noise from standard air exchangers and fluorescent lights ... it's a lot noisier in most offices than it is in most people's homes.... but I'm alone in his small office... nobody else talking, etc. ).

After about twenty minutes of testing, here's what I found:

1. Sounds pretty good most of the time (only my wife has complained)
    2. Sounds the worst when I use the free Jabra 250 headset, rather muffled.
    3. Varying the volume does nothing for me.
    4. Sound quality was substantially improved simply by moving the microphone slightly further away from the face (~1 inch) rather than holding it close to the face. this corresponds with the people who have been discussing the speaker phone aspects.
    5. The phone sounded just as good 8 inches away on speakerphone as it did held to my ear with the phone held slightly away from the face.
    6. All these results varied slightly from one call to the other... that is, probably signal dependent.

YRMV
    Well i wanted to give everyone an update on my work with PalmOne. They are sending me some software to try on my phone tomorrow. They are sending me tomorrow a software upgrade. I am going to be the guinee pig. I will try it out and report to them the sound quality. I dont think its hardware related, it appears, per the sound engineer at PalmOne to be software related.

THIS IS NOT A FIX YET THEY ARE EXPERIMENTING... If i had to guess this is the first of maybe several tests to fine tune this thing. But i am sure once it does work and i report that they will issue a notice. but that is me talking not them. I dont really know formally what they would do, but i am sure they will do something.

I am mentioning this for two reasons:

Wow. If you are legit (which I have no reason to believe you aren't) I find it amazing that P1 is working so closely with a single individual. We obviously hope this is a software issue.

So, now the question becomes...if a software update resolves this, how do we explain the "I got a new phone and it's fixed" phenomenon? Are the people claiming to have a "fixed" handset (running the same problematic software) the same people that believe in the tooth fairy? (haha, that's a joke guys).

Can't wait to see if this fixes the issue.
    I just bought two Treo 650 (Sprint) for my wife and myself.

Both Treo 650’s are experiencing the same trouble.

We first noticed the problem when we went to setup our Sprint voicemail. (We are new to Sprint also)

In order to keep from over modulating I had to virtually whisper my recording while holding the Treo 650 about 2 feet from my mouth. It is still very “Hot” when you listen to the recording.

I did some further testing and I think I may know what’s going on…

I tested the Treo 650 by calling a friend’s land line.

I started talking and switched back and forth between the Speakerphone mode and handset mode.

There was virtually no difference in the audio level he could hear! (my transmit)

So, my hypothesis is this:

The Treo 650 is “stuck” in Speakerphone mode in terms of it’s microphone.

My logic is this, While in speakerphone mode, the microphone needs to be more sensitive than while in handset mode. Since it’s always using a speakerphone setting for the microphone, the transmit levels are inherently louder (more sensitive) then they should be. This would also account for the “Clipping & dropping” that we hear and apparently others are hearing. It’s like holding a speakerphone up and directly talking into it’s microphone. It too will clip do to over modulation…

This definitely sounds like it’s something that can be address in a software update. Hopefully they will fix the DUN at the same time.

~e
    Last edited by Odinsdad; 12/10/2004 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Better Title
    I called Sprint about the poor quality sound and was told it had to be checked by a Sprint store tech. After reading this forum thread I took my treo to the Sprint store and the tech said he'd check the sound. I gave him a folder with a printout of this thread and he camé back almost immediately with 'poor mic' but they didn't have another in stock and didn't know when they would come in. I called Sprint back, explained the situation, and am now waiting for my repacement phone to arrive. This was so easy I'm so waiting for the other shoe to drop!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    hmmm...multiple tests.

Mine sounds great on the other end. Go figure.
    I'm still convinced my replacement Treo has much better sound quality than my first one. I repeatedly ask people I'm talking to, if they can hear me well, etc. I can't explain why some people are having consistent problems on the 2nd or 3rd replacement.

I do wonder if I am subconsciously making adjustments (not making calls in noisy environments, holding the mic away from my mouth, etc.) But when I purposely place calls in noisy environments it still sounds good (according to my wife).

I will definitely continue to follow this thread. I hope everyone gets a great result because I absolutely love my 650 now.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    some of you are watching this drama regarding the reciept of the Software patch that i am going to try out. I am still waiting and havent seen FedEx. maybe someone at PalmOne sent it for monday delivery not saturday.

But i did ask my engineer contact who is developing the patch how the rest of you would get access to this fix: she said probobley their will be a firmware or patch on the PalmOne site. it is not his or her decision, its up to the other folks.

Well anyways i wanted to give you guys and update. ONce i get the patch via fedex and try it out i will let you guys know how it goes.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCrumley
    Me neither.

In fact, I did some fairly detailed testing simply by sitting at my desk and calling my work voicemail. Keep in mind this is a fairly quiet office (which means moderate white noise from standard air exchangers and fluorescent lights ... it's a lot noisier in most offices than it is in most people's homes.... but I'm alone in his small office... nobody else talking, etc. ).

After about twenty minutes of testing, here's what I found:

1. Sounds pretty good most of the time (only my wife has complained)
    2. Sounds the worst when I use the free Jabra 250 headset, rather muffled.
    3. Varying the volume does nothing for me.
    4. Sound quality was substantially improved simply by moving the microphone slightly further away from the face (~1 inch) rather than holding it close to the face. this corresponds with the people who have been discussing the speaker phone aspects.
    5. The phone sounded just as good 8 inches away on speakerphone as it did held to my ear with the phone held slightly away from the face.
    6. All these results varied slightly from one call to the other... that is, probably signal dependent.

YRMV
    You need to patch, no doubt about it. You shouldnt have to think about every phone call you are making how to talk.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Wow. If you are legit (which I have no reason to believe you aren't) I find it amazing that P1 is working so closely with a single individual. We obviously hope this is a software issue.

So, now the question becomes...if a software update resolves this, how do we explain the "I got a new phone and it's fixed" phenomenon? Are the people claiming to have a "fixed" handset (running the same problematic software) the same people that believe in the tooth fairy? (haha, that's a joke guys).

Can't wait to see if this fixes the issue.
    Let me answer some of your comments;

I too am amazed that PalmOne is working with a person like me. Well i think it boils down to people. I got lucky in that the man i am working with is very dedicated to make sure us TREO owners are happy.

We all need to thank two people once this fix is found. I will mention them so you guys can send complimentary letters to the president on these people. I dont want to get ahead of myself but i feel secure in that these people are dedicated to getting this resolved. When all of us will see the patch i dont know but will find out.

I also think that maybe not all the phones were made in the same batch??? or i really dont know.. If you got a good phone good for you, you are lucky. But i am on my third phone and so are many other people. By the way, the engineers at Palm personally heard the exact sound characteristics and agreed there is an issue.

Good Luck
    I too am amazed that PalmOne is working with a person like me. Well i think it boils down to people. I got lucky in that the man i am working with is very dedicated to make sure us TREO owners are happy.

We all need to thank two people once this fix is found. I will mention them so you guys can send complimentary letters to the president on these people. I dont want to get ahead of myself but i feel secure in that these people are dedicated to getting this resolved. When all of us will see the patch i dont know but will find out.
    ----

I just recived a phone call from a sound engineer at corp in california. she aplologized foe the problem and she IS working on it, I can assure you. she is in contactbwith me and I will keep all abreast. that's all I can say now. I don't know when I will hear from her again but I think it will be within the next several days or sooner. I have her name number and email. she IS the right person and she does want to help us. talk to u all soon.
    ----
    some of you are watching this drama regarding the reciept of the Software patch that i am going to try out. I am still waiting and havent seen FedEx. maybe someone at PalmOne sent it for monday delivery not saturday.

But i did ask my engineer contact who is developing the patch how the rest of you would get access to this fix: she said probobley their will be a firmware or patch on the PalmOne site. it is not his or her decision, its up to the other folks.

Well anyways i wanted to give you guys and update. ONce i get the patch via FedEx and try it out i will let you guys know how it goes.

Mr. faisal, I hate to be a skeptic (been the victim of those a lot..), but I have a few questions. First, I am guessing the first person you talked to was a man, and the engineer was a woman. In your last post you talked about the MAN you were working with, which sounded to me like the sound engineering type person, which you said earlier was a "she"... Secondly, why do they need to FedEx the patch to you? Why can't they just attach it to an email or something like that?

Sorry to not trust you, but I just hate to have my hopes raised and then dashed at the last second. (Just ask Al Gore about that!) I do hope you are legitimate, (although even illegitimate people can contribute here, and I think we may have a few of them among the Treo-Haters!!!) I really want this to be fixed before I get my GSM TREO 650!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    ----

----

Mr. faisal, I hate to be a skeptic (been the victim of those a lot..), but I have a few questions. First, I am guessing the first person you talked to was a man, and the engineer was a woman. In your last post you talked about the MAN you were working with, which sounded to me like the sound engineering type person, which you said earlier was a "she"... Secondly, why do they need to FedEx the patch to you? Why can't they just attach it to an email or something like that?

Sorry to not trust you, but I just hate to have my hopes raised and then dashed at the last second. (Just ask Al Gore about that!) I do hope you are legitimate, (although even illegitimate people can contribute here, and I think we may have a few of them among the Treo-Haters!!!) I really want this to be fixed before I get my GSM TREO 650!
    Dear GWB,

I understand where you are coming from. Let me first say i am entirly legit. if you read the history of my posts you will see that i am legit. i have been waiting for a PDA phone for a long time and this was it. i was so dissappointed when all my friends and such said i sound like ****.

The FEDEX:

The reason for the FEDEX was because i am being mailed out a SD card with a file in it.. or new software or something. The engineer couldnt email it to me because they wouldnt know how to get it in my phone system. By the way, i am not a techie or electronics engineer just a sales rep that needs to use his phone. So i may say somethings that might not make sense to a PRO. I am giving it my best guess based upon things that were told to me.

I have been fuzzy or inconsistent with the people he and she and the whole bit. Mostly because i am trying to keep some ananimoty for these people thaat are trying to help us. I mentioned some of this to a customer service rep and all he wanted to do was get this guys name and put an end to it.i guess he was pissed that i was "going over his head".

Let me start from the beginning. i complained to corporate and left some guy a nasty but professional voice mail. Next 2 hours later i get a call from a MAN, who was forwarded the voice mail. He really cared about the problem. I personnaly talked to him from my phone and he understood the issue. I also let him here my second and third phone. I can only say that that MAN was excellent,. He really was sincere and cared. Of alot of the people i talked to at sprint and palmone this guy was the best. I can only assume since he is from Milpitas that he in corp.

He then wanted me to speak to an engineer so SHE can listen to actual sound. SHe heard it first hand and agreed it sounds bad. She then started mumbling a bunch of Audio jargon like: echo cancelling software? Bias ?

so here i am waiting for a SD card to come so i can reset my ROM. Thats where i am today. I will give you a treat. this is a portion of one of the emails i recieved to make you feel better.

We have a test build with attenuated mic gain. It's the first fix to try and make this problem better. After I check it out and make sure it doesn't crash anything (please keep in mind that this is and "engineering build", not an "official build") I'd like to send you an SD card with the test build so that you can load it onto your device (I'll follow up with instructions). I can Fed-Ex it to arrive tomorrow morning. Do you have a mailing address? If you'd like me to mail it to your workplace, I can also have it delivered on Monday AM.

Lets keep this low key.. i dont want to screw this one up.

faisal
    i complained to corporate and left some guy a nasty but professional voice mail. Next 2 hours later i get a call from a MAN, who was forwarded the voice mail.
    Damn your lucky... I left 3 voice mails and sent 7 letters (one certified) and have yet to receive a call back.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    HOT FLASH:

I was able to work with the engineer and we were able to send the file thru a FTP software program. I then copied it to a SD card reader and installed it on my device.

I upgraded the ROM and software..... i sounded better per the engineer but there still needs to be more tweaking.. She is going to talk to her sound engineers some more and fine tune this further.

My next step is to talk to my friends and family that complained before and ask them how i sound. i didnt want to do it now while i am in my house. i want to simulate similar conditions when i talked to them.

WIll keep you informed once i hear again from PalmOne!!!
    I call B.S.
    I call B.S.
    I hate to be pessimistic, but I'm starting to think this too. The more I read the responses, the more I wonder...

Why must P1 fedex/ftp/etc. a patch to one consumer? Can't they just use this update "in house" and have 20-30 employees make hundreds of calls to test the patch? Seriously, if one phone has the problem, ALL of them have to (running same software, same hardware, etc). For those phones that "work just fine" I think it has something to do with the circumstances, etc.

Not that I'm calling you a fraud faisal, but I certainly am confused at the way this corporation is seeking to fix it's own product, by selecting a single customer...as if they couldn't handle it in-house?

BTW, you sure the engineer's reason for fedexing the SD card to you was because he didn't know how else to get it on your phone????? Wow, that's suspicious man. (again, not that I don't want to trust you, but this IS the internet...haha).

I am, however, eagerly awaiting your feedback...we'll see.