Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Hopefully a simple software update can address this issue and hopefully it is released sooner rather than in a few months.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I would call PalmOnes headquaters in California and say you want to file a complaint. You can leave a message for the "CEO"

ALso RETURN THE UNIT. Based upon the fact that it seeems to be isolated incidents i think it is a QC issue.

Good Luck, i am suppose to get mine in a couple of days. ONce i do i will respond and let you know how it works out.
    Called PalmOne to complain about this problem, and they told me that they can't do anything for me and that I'll have to contact Sprint (since I bought the phone from Sprint). Argh. I'm not looking forward to calling Sprint at all, but I guess I don't have a choice.
    I called P1 yesterday and couldn't believe what I was told. The lady told me the mic is extra sensitive b/c the 650 is designed to pick up faint audio (e.g. hosting a conference call with people around the phone laying on a table). I told her that's a fantastic idea while using the speakerphone (why half-duplex then?), but NOT while holding the phone to my ear! She continued to insist it was a 'feature' rather than a defect. I told her if that's the case, P1 has severely miscalculated this design, as the phone is almost unuseable in an environment with even a little ambient noise (such as an office...unacceptable for a 'business tool').

I then referred her to TC, Slashdot, Engadget, etc. I told her to check out the feedback on this wonderful 'feature'.

I don't expect a resolution. Guess every call should be a conference call...
    Well, if no resolution - voting with your wallet always has an impact.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    YOu can return the phone back to PalmOne.. if you bought it from SPrint return it within the 14 days.

OTherwise call Palmone number 800-881-7256 press 3 then 1 and when the customer service rep answers tell tehm you have a DOA Dead On Arrival.

They will send you another one out. Be persistent and complain. avoid sprint you will just subject yourself to frustration
    I received my replacement Treo yesterday which I had returned because of this sound quality issue. I haven't made a lot of calls so far, but to test the new phone I rolled down my windows while driving in to work - on the freeway this morning (A LOT of background noise). I then called my wife and she said I sounded very good - better than my previous 650.

I will update this discussion if I have new sound quality problems, but so far so good!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    That sounds great!! Please keep us posted. i am expecting a new unit soon and will also keep everyone aware of what is going on.\

Please give more feedback when you can

Thanks
    I just got my replacement 650 yesterday, and so far everyone I have talked to said I sound better. One friend said I sound about the same, but he never complained before. It seems strange that it was so intermitent. I will update if any problems come up, but it seems I now have a Palm phone, that works good as a phone!!!!!!

Added 12-15:
    After a week with this phone, I had the same sound quality issue return. I am now on my 3rd phone, and the local Sprint store says my only option is to go back to my old I-330, and wait for a fix to the 650.
    Last edited by skydivewags; 12/15/2004 at 02:19 PM.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Well I just got off the phone with PalmOne and they are shipping me out yet another replacement unit. (2nd replacement to date) All because of the sound quality issue. The rep stated that he had seen the complaints here at tc.com but was not sure what if anything was being done about it.

I have also sent a letter to the CEO of Palm to complain. If anyone else would like to write to the ceo you can do so here:

palmOne, Inc. Corporate Headquarters
    400 N. McCarthy Blvd.
    Milpitas, CA 95035
    Attention: Todd Bradley, CEO
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Keep us posted./..

Where did you get it from SPrint pcs or did you order the phone from PalmOne?

In other words who supplied you the first phone and the replacement?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Great. i will right a letter. Who knows we may get something out of all this aggravation.
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    Keep us posted./..

Where did you get it from SPrint pcs or did you order the phone from PalmOne?

In other words who supplied you the first phone and the replacement?

Purchased directly through Palm One.
    Has anyone tried doing a hard reset to see if this helps? Perhaps this is caused by an application that we installed on the phone? The P1 customer service rep recommended I try this...
    Haha. The hard reset is a canned answer. It has no effect whatsoever in improving the sound quality. We could only wish it was this simple....
    I've only had my Treo for about 2 weeks, but everyone I've asked has said it sounds great.

It certainly sounds great on my end -- better than any cell phone I've used.
    Quote Originally Posted by rriehl
    Well I just got off the phone with PalmOne and they are shipping me out yet another replacement unit. (2nd replacement to date) All because of the sound quality issue. The rep stated that he had seen the complaints here at tc.com but was not sure what if anything was being done about it.

I have also sent a letter to the CEO of Palm to complain. If anyone else would like to write to the ceo you can do so here:

400 N. McCarthy Blvd.
    Milpitas, CA 95035

Well not so fast for me I guess. About an hour after my call where the rep told me that they would be shipping out my 2nd replacement unit, I received an email from Palm stating:

"I understand that at this time you have yet another defective Treo 650
    and are looking for a reship. I will go ahead and reship out another
    handheld once you send one of the two defective smartphones back to us..."

Hmmm... I guess I can understand that, although they do have my credit card so if they think I was trying to steal 650's they could just charge me. Anyhow, I was a bit frustrated since I was just told that it would not be a problem for them to ship me another replacement unit right away so I decided to call them back. I spoke with another rep who said the same thing, I would have to return BOTH units before they ship me a replacement. (Keep in mind the original unit was already picked up by UPS and enroute to Palm) So I demanded to speak with a supervisor and was shocked when he said he couldn't replace the unit at all!!!!! I would have to ship the unit back to them for a credit and purchase a new one all over again if I wanted to. I argued with him for about 10 minutes and would have gotten better responses from a wall. I demanded to speak with his superior and I was told that they don't answer the phone. We went back and forth a bit and I got nowhere.

So, I guess I am returning the Treo alltogether. It gives me a little more to put in my letter to Mr.Bradley.

Will I buy a another Treo650.... I haven't decided yet. I did not like the way I was treated by them at all. We're not talking about a Mickey Mouse toy but rather a $600 phone. Unreal.
  18. llc
    Quote Originally Posted by rriehl

400 N. McCarthy Blvd.
    Milpitas, CA 95035
    I'm also on my second unit because of the same issue. Thanks for the address - will definitely write a letter! This is ridiculous - if it is a quality control issue, then I can only surmise that they have none at P1.
    I have a question. I ordered my Treo 650 through mytreo.net (they partnered with Inphonic). I'll get the phone tomorrow. Who am I supposed to go through if I have problems? Palm, Sprint, or Inphonic? That's ridiculous that Palm won't replace rriehl's phone. They produce the product and give you a year warranty. They should stand behind that product and replace your phone (no questions asked) if you have a problem with it. It sounds like they want to be lazy and not deal with the problems. They want the consumer to be responsible for returning the phone and then going through the order process all over again. How long is it going to take to receive a new Treo 650 when you have to start all over again? It surely won't be as fast as getting a replacement right away from Palm One. It's starting to sound like I made a mistake on ordering the phone if this is how Palm treats their customers. It's not our fault they dropped the ball in testing the phone or Q.C. at the factory or whatever.
    Also, if anyone wants to attempt to contact any of the "big wigs" at Palm you can call:
    1 (408) 503-7000 and use the directory to find who you are looking for. Here are the main players:
    Todd Bradley, CEO
    Ed Colligan, President
    Ken Wirt, Senior Vice President
    Mary E. Doyle, Senior Vice President and General Counsel
    Jeff Hawkins, Chief Technology Officer
    Angel L. Mendez, Senior Vice President, Global Operations
    Celeste Baranski, Senior Vice President, Engineering

I have sent my complaint letter to all of them via regular and certified mail. Overkill? Maybe, but it's probably the best chance of getting a response.