Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 137
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    If palmOne goes away, it won't be because of the Treo. It's a big hit in all kinds of ways. They did a great job designing the form factor (despite the huge problems with trying to cram these things into a single device that fits comfortably in the hand and looks like a phone), it's aesthetically good-looking, it works well (yes, there have been lots of issues with the Treo 600, but it still gets very good user reviews compared to other "sibling" devices, so they did something right). Treo is a very well-known brand in the smartphone market, with much better recognition than any other brand out there.
    Lets not forget that most of the hardwork was done by Handspring. The 650 is just riding the coat tails of Handsprings effort,creativity and innovation. I'm interested to see what P1 does next Nov, then we will see what P1 is truly capable of -- good or bad.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chupacabra
    Good point - hobbling Bluetooth was done at Sprint's request.
    Further, Sprint has already gone on record saying they plan on releasing DUN profiles in an upcoming release.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Further, Sprint has already gone on record saying they plan on releasing DUN profiles in an upcoming release.


    You believed them?
  4. #44  
    Not to be a ***** or anything (too late, right?) but if some of you are going to claim certain things, could you supply a bit more proof. Maybe a link, a resource, something other than flame bait?

    Thank you,

    -uninformed *****
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademonkey
    Not to be a ***** or anything (too late, right?) but if some of you are going to claim certain things, could you supply a bit more proof. Maybe a link, a resource, something other than flame bait?

    Thank you,

    -uninformed *****
    Blademonkey (by the way keep the blade away from your .. uhh..never mind),

    Some people on this forum feel VERY strongly about the things they are saying. I respect them for that. The hostility and name calling, the multiple ranting threads on the same topic, the sour pusses when someone makes a joke, all get to me too...trust me. But life goes on...

    As to your proof.. Its probably more than halfway decent bet that P1 (sorry mikec, i just can't do it! ) knew about the memory issues. How could they not. As a matter of fact, some people are "claiming" that engineers from P1 admitted just that. Its also a halfway decent bet that management thought it was a controllable risk. In my opinion, the jury is still out on just how much damage was done $-wise. We will be able to tell by their timing on a "fix".

    Remember, NASA knew there were big risks also and they are still getting billions in funding. So, P1 is in some good, albeit dubious, company.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Chup, I had forgotten how quaint and charming your maniacal rantings could be! What on God's Green Earth made you think that the Sony or Nokia samrtphones have outsold the Treos? You had best check your facts again there, goat sucker! Also, why would P1 need to make a sub-200 device? Your "marketshare" argument came the closest to making sense out of that whole, misguided diatribe, but let's look at some facts. I sell electronics for a living, and I make a nice living at it. I have VERY good people working for me (always the secret to sucess) and for the most part, at this stage in my career, they do 98% of the sales for me. There's one area that they're hesitant to do that in, and that's PDA's. They know the boss has a passion for them, and if they're having trouble closing a sale, they come get me. Now, we carry P1's entire line. Every PDA they make, plus a few they don't anymore, resides in my store. Do you know which ones reside they're the longest Chup? The Zire 21! Mmmmmmm...the "low-end, entry level" PDA is the one that NEVER sells!! Don't even get me started on the even less expensive Sharp touch screen organizers that hang below my PDA display! Do you know why that is, Goat Sucker? Its because PDA's are not AIMED at the average consumer, and neither are smartphones! Sheesh! Do some research before you start your next thread of incoherent babble.
    Anyway, good to hear from you again. The nut cases and naysayers (you decide which one you are) always make the threads interesting!
    Later.

    Since Mr. Chupacabra is apparently no longer allowed to post at this site, maybe I can stop you from spreading even more disinformation. Here are some replies to your "points":

    Who's the # 1 smartphone:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10...xed_and_ready/

    http://jobs.managementconsultancy.co.uk/News/1158997

    Zire 21 sales:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5405

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6306

    I could rub your face in it, but then I'd probably get "banned" as well. I'd suggest you make very certain of your "facts" before you start insulting others here, DrDoom.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    You may be right -- I have no idea -- but the links you supplied do not answer the question. The first is from October 2003, before the Treo 600 was released in volume, and the second focuses only on European sales and does not offer numbers for direct comparison. Do you have something more recent and more directly on point?

    Thanks.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska
    You may be right -- I have no idea -- but the links you supplied do not answer the question. The first is from October 2003, before the Treo 600 was released in volume, and the second focuses only on European sales and does not offer numbers for direct comparison. Do you have something more recent and more directly on point?

    Thanks.
    I estimate Palm has sold roughly 700,000 Treo 600 in the past 14 months (I assume those of us who had our Treos replaced 5 times are still considered to be each a single "sale"??? )

    It's been widely reported that the Sony Ericsson P800 had over a million sales in its year on the market.

    Do a Google search for yourself and you'll see that Sony's phone sales in 2004 are even better than 2003.

    Here's a couple other little tidbits for you: Sony's phone sales are still rising http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9559248.html and Palm OS is a mere speck on the radar compared to Symbian http://nwm.mobilepipeline.com/news/52600808

    The amount of B.S. being tossed around here at Treocentral makes it hard to tell who knows what they're talking about and who's just running their mouth off.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    I estimate Palm has sold roughly 700,000 Treo 600 in the past 14 months (I assume those of us who had our Treos replaced 5 times are still considered to be each a single "sale"??? )

    It's been widely reported that the Sony Ericsson P800 had over a million sales in its year on the market.

    Do a Google search for yourself and you'll see that Sony's phone sales in 2004 are even better than 2003.

    Here's a couple other little tidbits for you: Sony's phone sales are still rising http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9559248.html and Palm OS is a mere speck on the radar compared to Symbian http://nwm.mobilepipeline.com/news/52600808

    The amount of B.S. being tossed around here at Treocentral makes it hard to tell who knows what they're talking about and who's just running their mouth off.


    I just read this about a new Palm OS smartphone. Palm won't have the luxury of screwing up anymore once more competitors arrive on the scene.

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7307
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zen of Palm
    I just read this about a new Palm OS smartphone. Palm won't have the luxury of screwing up anymore once more competitors arrive on the scene.

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7307
    This thing looks like do-do to me.

    Once someone comes out with one with a keyboard, then F1 is in real trouble.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    This thing looks like do-do to me.

    Once someone comes out with one with a keyboard, then F1 is in real trouble.
    Sounds like a damn cat fight in here. The 650 is the leader in PDA phones. Other than P1's crappy order/shipping screw ups, their product is outstanding. Maybe the 700 will include a 2.6GHZ processor, Windows XP Pro, with 500MB RAM, and a 120GB HD, not to mention BT, WI-Fi, and what the heck let's toss in a R/W CD drive too. Oh wait, that's a PC!

    Seriously though, is this phone not enough?

    Eric
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    ... do-do ...


    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  13. #53  
    Hey all. Just found out what F1 is. It is the vending machine selection for brown sugar cinnamon pop-tarts here at my office.

    Eric
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Hey all. Just found out what F1 is. It is the vending machine selection for brown sugar cinnamon pop-tarts here at my office.

    Eric
    Sheesh, for me its a packet of Certs... Not fair!

    MikeC, what is it for you??? Perhaps a poll is in order?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Further, Sprint has already gone on record saying they plan on releasing DUN profiles in an upcoming release.
    Yeah, but if you use it, they cancel your account (or threaten to).

    What's the deal?
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Sounds like a damn cat fight in here. The 650 is the leader in PDA phones. Other than P1's crappy order/shipping screw ups, their product is outstanding. Maybe the 700 will include a 2.6GHZ processor, Windows XP Pro, with 500MB RAM, and a 120GB HD, not to mention BT, WI-Fi, and what the heck let's toss in a R/W CD drive too. Oh wait, that's a PC!

    Seriously though, is this phone not enough?

    Eric

    It's not that the phone isn't enough. It's a great first smartphone.

    The problem is that in one big area .... RAM .... it is a downgrade from the previous model. And some also say it is slower at some common tasks.


    300 users won't be disappointed, 600 users probably will be.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The Treo600 saved handspring. The Treo650 is selling like hotcakes. PalmOne has the best PDA-based smartphone out there (though there have recently been some improved PPC offerings). If the 650 is a swansong, it isn't because they dropped the ball, but rather because the whole smartphone segment is rough.
    650 was a highly anticipated smart phone, but it won't be selling like hotcakes if the issues I've been reading aren't fixed.

    I just want to know one thing. Were the hell was the r&d team on this device? They had a year to better the 600. Their results seem very questionable.

    How could this fat memory issue be missed. At a scant 32 to begin with, the memory issue has been compounded. As far as I can tell, the 650 is hardly the phone to jump to right now from a well run 600. As a matter of fact, I would recommend a 600 at this point over the 650. Some progress!
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Sounds like a damn cat fight in here. The 650 is the leader in PDA phones. Other than P1's crappy order/shipping screw ups, their product is outstanding. Maybe the 700 will include a 2.6GHZ processor, Windows XP Pro, with 500MB RAM, and a 120GB HD, not to mention BT, WI-Fi, and what the heck let's toss in a R/W CD drive too. Oh wait, that's a PC!

    Seriously though, is this phone not enough?

    Eric
    In a word, yes the phone is not enough (mainly because it is not just "a phone", it's a PDA.

    See the Treo 700 thread for my specs of what would be "enough".
    Not as outlandish as you might think.
  19. #59  
    It has been posted elsewhere that PalmOne is attempting to broaden their end-customer market beyond pure geeks. Perhaps they indeed do not care that the memory is limited for geeks but not for someone who uses the TREO line EXACTLY as research has shown riun-of-the-mill users want to use their phones - as address books, SMS senders, email, web surfing, and occasional picture taking and that's about it.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Sheesh, for me its a packet of Certs... Not fair!

    MikeC, what is it for you??? Perhaps a poll is in order?

    Now, now, Otter, don't tease the animals in the cage... ;-)
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions