1.    #1  
    I was all set to get a Treo 650, until this week when people got their 650's. There's the Memory allocation issue, the BT not working with Mac issue, and the posts by Archie about how much money it will cost me to get it to work with my PB. So, is there a better option out there for me, or should I just wait for the GSM T650?

I have a Nokia 3650 and I'm able to iSync my iCal, Address Book, and pictures via BT. It's hard to believe that a $600 phone/PDA won't be able to do that
    Well, I am going ahead with my purchase and hope to have my 650 this week and I will be "chomping at the bit" if it does not work with my PB! this post by Archie you speak of, where might I find that? All the issues that are now being discussed are making me start to wonder if I should have left well enough alone and stick with my sony-ericcson T608 and be done with it!
    Law school is a 3 year exersize in mind control--Thomas Newcomb

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    I found Archies post...I opened my mouth to soon!! LOL
    Law school is a 3 year exersize in mind control--Thomas Newcomb

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    Note that Archie's post was made before the 650 shipped to anybody -- there are several threads out there where people are saying good things about the 650 working with the Mac. Not perfect, but sounds like as well as it's working with Windows:

"Syncing my Treo 650 via Bluetooth to my PB G4 12" with SuperDrive and Bluetooth built-in, running OS 10.3.6. Using iSync conduit for Contacts, Now Up To Date conduit for Dates and To-do's (Tasks) and Palm Desktop for Memos. Works flawlessly and perfectly each time." (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63039)

"OSX... very quick and easy to setup BT sync and performed one effortlessly with my 12" PB G4 1.2GHz. T650 found the laptop instantly." (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62602)

There are lots of other posts (search the 650 Hardware forum for "Mac") and you'll see the good, bad, and ugly. Also there's some info on the P1 website (http://www.palmone.com/us/macintosh/wireless.html, and http://www.palmone.com/us/macintosh/isync.html).

I'm waiting for my GSM version to come in January (let's hope), so for how I'll have to live vicariously through all of you. Good luck!
    Keep in mind, several features are disabled on the sprint phones (from what Ive heard) because the disable the dial through the computer feature. Things like the OSX caller ID function and dialing by contact over a bluetooth headset (on the computer) don't work.
    In my experience, nothing works the minute it's released perfectly with everything you want it to. Palm One doesn't hand out a free 650 to all the developers in the world to ensure it. It's always a game of get the latest and greatest, and then wait for it to work with everything. That's why shrewd geeks with patience always wait until the new dust stirred up by their desired toy settles before they buy. The impatient ones (like me) buy asap and then have deal with the quirks until they get ironed out. You should also take what you read with a grain of salt. People often run into a problem and quickly run to the boards screaming bloody murder, but you don't know if they've actually tried all they could to make what isn't working work, and you even see them come back and say "oh I figured it out" anyway.

The memory issue indeed sounds like a big deal, but even I won't decide how horrid it is until I get my 650. I understand the issue well enough to know it might not bother me at all in practice (even if it does in principle).

Don't let the boards scare you into getting something different than a Treo, let the boards make you step back and wait until the dust settles and more people besides the earliest adopters have had a chance to provide their impressions and solutions to problems.
  7.    #7  
    Does anyone on these forums actually use a Pocket PC and a Mac? I just went to Mark/Space, http://www.missingsync.com/missingsync_pocketpc.php , and see that many of the Mac apps can be synced.

I'm curious how Mac people feel about using a Pocket PC. I know it almost seems sacreligious.
    Its all in what you are comfortable with. Ive used the i600 smartphone, and cant STAND using standard phone keys to enter data, much less the funky organization of microsoft smartphone OS. Also I don't like that I have to buy 3rd party software to sync --- what if that company stops making the software and it becomes incompatible with a new OS? Just not for me.

I completely agree with cpryce. Don't let the psycho Treo hounds on the board scare you off. They will never be happy. First it was the camera, then the wifi, now the memory problem. There will be initial problems, just like any other product. The 600 had problems that P1 fixed, but new problems will certainly pop up on the 650.

If nothing else, I recommend giving it a try.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I'm curious how Mac people feel about using a Pocket PC. I know it almost seems sacreligious.
    Anyone?
    I was all set to get a Treo 650, until this week when people got their 650's. There's the Memory allocation issue, the BT not working with Mac issue, and the posts by Archie about how much money it will cost me to get it to work with my PB. So, is there a better option out there for me, or should I just wait for the GSM T650?
    Since you are giving me credit for pointing out how how much money Mac users have to fork out (in addition to purchasing the Treo) to get the same features Windows users get right out of the box, don't forget I brought up those other issues as well.

Here is where I point out the memory issue days before anyone else on this board.

It goes like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Aw, come on man. Now, there's TOO much memory.
    Actually quite the oppisate.
    First off, i must disqualify myself as an enginner. I am not all that smart.

But in reading the article, as I understand it, since the Treo has to duplicate/access the NAND memory, it does so in chunks for faster access and writing and such. These chunks are; as a result (for speedy delivery), addressed in larger chunks than the Treo 600. What this means is that it is far less efficient in utilizing the space available.

Let's say it works in, I don't know 256 byte blocks or something. That means if you have a record that is 48 bytes, when it gets written you just wasted 208 bytes.

That is not good.

That makes the lowly 23MBs even worse. Effectively giving you something like maybe 15MBs.

Note: my math was only a few kilobytes off. In the end it looks like people are actually getting about 16MBs. ppphphhphph!

Also note, among my surely 100 posts in regards to Palm's half-*** Bluetooth implementation, here is where I point out the many ways in which Palm has slighted Bluetooth users in general and Mac users specifically.

It goes like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I'm very happy with my Palm on MacOS, however. Works great, Bluetooth and otherwise.
    Tell me...

are you happy knowing that other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you send and receive SMS messages through your phone using Address Book (and even breaking that 160 character limit by doing it through Address Book)... but not Palm.

And other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you dial a Bluetooth phone through the Mac OS X Address Book... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let Mac OS X use your Bluetooth phone to dial and send faxes... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let the Bluetooth phone send caller ID info to the computer and display it on screen... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you answer, talk and listen to the Bluetooth phone via you computer... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you regain control of your computer when the screensaver kicks in using Salling Clicker... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers can pause iTunes using the Salling Clicker, or adjust the volume, or pause any DVD player, etc., etc., etc… when the phone rings... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers have proximity detection (and this leads to a whole other list)... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let the Bluetooth phone perform event triggering... but not Palm.

This is to say nothing of Bluetooth 1.2. This is all possible with the ancient Bluetooth 1.1 standard.

note: that there are other features we lose out on scattered throughout my many posts in regards to Bluetooth, but this is just one post in which I happened to actually sit down and think about a list of completely new issues one day.

And then in regards to gaining feature parity to Windows users as built and provided by Palm, I forgot to mention the fact that we Mac users will have to pay an extra $29.99 minimum to get something like Kinoma Producer to prep video files or DVDs or whatever to move to the Treo. Windows users are of course taken care of already (thanks Palm... jerks). Oh, and as I understand it, Windows users now also get the ScreenShot utility on the Treo 650 which also syncs to the desktop. Mac users will have to pay an additional $14.99 for that capability. Well, according to my calculations, that's over $1000 dollars that we have to spend just to get feature parity.
    Last edited by archie; 11/22/2004 at 11:27 AM.
    Oooops, actually about $1350 total.

My previous calculations were based on a phone that was $400, not $650.

Mac users do have one thing going for them, I hope; that is PalmOne's decision to include Documents To Go Professional 7.0 instead of 6.0.8.

I THINK this might mean that there are plugin's for the Mac included with the installation of the software. It might only be with Palm Desktop 4.2 though. Can someone verify? If not, there is another $30 to get the Premium addition with Mac syncing.

Hey, while I am on this subject it is pretty crappy that we can't edit PowerPoint files but Windows users can. This isn't PalmOne's fault though.
    Quote Originally Posted by maswell
    Keep in mind, several features are disabled on the sprint phones (from what Ive heard) because the disable the dial through the computer feature. Things like the OSX caller ID function and dialing by contact over a bluetooth headset (on the computer) don't work.
    OSX caller ID function and dialing by contact over a bluetooth headset (on the computer) has nothing to do with Sprint's disabling of DUN. There is nothing that any Bluetooth stack can do to fix this. It is just Palm's restrictive implementation.
    To go back to the original question:

I have a Nokia 3650 and I'm able to iSync my iCal, Address Book, and pictures via BT. It's hard to believe that a $600 phone/PDA won't be able to do that
    From what others have posted on the forums, the 650 will be able to do all the things you listed that you do with your 3650. While I haven't been able to try iSync via Bluetooth, there are others that say it works. And I have personally used a 650 with a Mac to transfer pictures back and forth via Bluetooth. It sounds as though there could be some things that don't work as promised by P1, perhaps even some issues that are Mac-specific.

But I think we can all agree that to suggest that you have to spend an additional $1350 to "get it to work with your PB" is ludicrous. It may very well be that you have to spend this to encode movies and such, but this was also the case when I bought my SE T610 -- there was plenty of software that came with that that didn't work on a Mac. This is not a P1-specific problem -- if you've used a Mac, you are familiar with this issue.

Look, $600 is a lot to spend on a phone. As you (and Archie, and others) have pointed out, there are many phones out there that do certain things better than the 650 does, and many phones that do things that the 650 doesn't do at all. And many of those phones are cheap (or free, depending on your carrier). As to the original question: I don't know if the 650 is the best smartphone, since I don't know anything at all about PocketPC phones.

However, the 650 looks like it'll do most things quite well, and as I said, I'm waiting to get one to find out if it's good for me. Even if there are some tradeoffs, I'm hoping that the benefits will outweigh the downsides. You'll have to decide if the drawbacks mentioned above are dealbreakers for you or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    OSX caller ID function and dialing by contact over a bluetooth headset (on the computer) has nothing to do with Sprint's disabling of DUN. There is nothing that any Bluetooth stack can do to fix this. It is just Palm's restrictive implementation.
    It's not Palm's restrictive impementation, its the fact that the phone and palm parts of the treo are seperate entities. The bluetooth is more linked to the PDA part than anything else.

As for sailling clicker, it seems to work fine, except for proximity detection and phone status (battery/signal).

http://216.58.174.153/salling/forums...pic.php?t=1961

The address book thing I read here...

http://discussion.brighthand.com/pal...threadid=70304
    Anyone?
    PocketPC as a platform has come a ways over time. Some parts of it are a joy and superior in my opinion (like ActiveSync) to PalmOS, some aren't (configuring a network connection). Using it withi a Mac...I've never really ventured there since the 3rd party (yes, have to have 3rd party and add a gazillion dollars) sync apps still weren't as mature when I stopped using my iPaq. I'm platform agnostic/independant so it didn't bother me to be limited to my PCs. However, I don't see any reason that MissingSync would be any worse for PocketPC than PalmOS. The difference is on the PDA side, not the MacOS side.

Now, PocketPC as a phone...from all that I can gather, lacking personal experience, this platform hasn't mastered the art of voice communication as well as on PalmOS (thanks to Handspring). And it certainly hasn't mastered the art of one-handed/no stylus use in general, which I can live with in a PDA, but not a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpryce
    And it certainly hasn't mastered the art of one-handed/no stylus use in general, which I can live with in a PDA, but not a phone.
    I've heard Blackberry afficionados claim for quite some time that RIM devices are great for one-handed use, since unlike Palm OS and PocketPC, they weren't developed around the idea of a touchscreen and a stylus. They were keypad-driven from the start, and now Palm and PPC are trying to catch up since they're now in the phone business.

Not that I'd rather have a Blackberry -- I think the advantages of Palm or PPC far outweigh those of the RIM device -- but as long as we're discussing smartphones...