Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I received my Treo 650 on Friday and like many others I am struggling with the memory issue. Actually "struggling" is an understatement. I have spent the last 48 hours feverishly trying to get my favorite applications to fit on the Treo 650.

For the applications that do not function on the SD card I have resorted to moving just parts of those applications from internal memory to the SD card. I have spent many hours of trial and error and dozens of system crashes and intentional hard resets.

All of this in an attempt to save any bit or byte of space I can. Contrary to my normal mindset I am hoping that some developer does not come out with the next "must have" application in fear that I will not be able to fit it on my "must have" Treo 650.

Here is the real problem- after working with the Treo 650 there is no going back to the Treo 600 due to its inferior screen. The Treo 650 screen is bedazzling! It makes the Treo 600 look like a circa 1980 electronic gadget. I went from loving the Treo 600 on Thursday to now hating both the Treo 600 and Treo 650. I am now between a rock and a hard place!

Ok maybe a little dramatic but the memory issue is a real issue (at least for me). The 650 is a little sluggish with some tasks compared to the 600- but this I can deal with. Was the non volatile memory really that important? On one hand I do not want to part with my Treo 650 but on the other hand I am afraid that it will not have the functionality of my Treo 600.

As a side note has anyone figured out a way to assign functions to the 5-way button on the 650 yet? The 600 allowed functions to be assigned to the 5-way why not the 650? Probably a memory issue- ha ha.

By the way in case anyone is interested I only have the following applications residing on my "Non Volatile" system memory with only 2mb free:

Bdicty (program only- databases on SD card)
    KeyCaps
    MMPlayer
    Palm Reader
    Silver Screen
    Verichat
    Zagat to Go (program and databases)
    And of course contacts, email, built in apps, etc..

Some of my other 50 applications are living on my SD card. I guess my main fear is I have no room to GROW internally should the need arise!

WTF?
    why should you jump through hoops to run what ran fine on the 600?

F1 seems to be doing the reverse of Moore's law.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    People do not seem to understand....the only way to have a removable battery is to have non volatile memory. If not, every time you took your battery out you would loose all of your memory. This all boils down to good memory management. People are going to have to streamline their app collections and minimize their data content. Here are some helpful hints....

- If you use MS Outlook of some scheduler app, Go Into it and delete all out dated events.
    - Move picture/movies to the SD Card
    - Streamline Phonebooks/Contacts remove old entries

Note: Third party Launcher apps greatly decrease Memory Size. Apps like Launcher X, Silverscreen, etc..

Hell the treo could have 1gig of memory and someone would still find some reason to complain about the memory!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Somehow I didn't lose all my memory when I changed the batteries on my Visor Deluxe. Is it possible this kind of technology doesn't work anymore?

Also if you know that this memory system is different and the chunking is different, you have to do something to make up for it. It's crazy that the Treo 650 would regress from the Treo 600 in some ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    People do not seem to understand....the only way to have a removable battery is to have non volatile memory. If not, every time you took your battery out you would loose all of your memory. This all boils down to good memory management. People are going to have to streamline their app collections and minimize their data content. Here are some helpful hints....

- If you use MS Outlook of some scheduler app, Go Into it and delete all out dated events.

Note: Third party Launcher apps greatly decrease Memory Size. Apps like Launcher X, Silverscreen, etc..

Hell the treo could have 1gig of memory and someone would still find some reason to complain about the memory!
    Two words...STORAGE CAP
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Somehow I didn't lose all my memory when I changed the batteries on my Visor Deluxe. Is it possible this kind of technology doesn't work anymore?

Also if you know that this memory system is different and the chunking is different, you have to do something to make up for it. It's crazy that the Treo 650 would regress from the Treo 600 in some ways.
    I forgot about that, didn't we have like, 2 minutes to change the batteries or something. Maybe I am not remmebering clearly.
    Howdy...

"People do not seem to understand....the only way to have a removable battery is to have non volatile memory."

Not so... You can have a backup-battery, like the PPC-6601 does...

B.
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1000
    Howdy...

"People do not seem to understand....the only way to have a removable battery is to have non volatile memory."

Not so... You can have a backup-battery, like the PPC-6601 does...
    So true. My iPaq (which I long to replace with 650 btw) has a removable battery, and it has a small watch battery to protect memory while changing primary battery. This is a simple solution to the removable battery issue. P1 chose a different, more complex solution which I actually prefer. I just don't like the compromise that came with it. Bottomline P1 should have put 64mb in the 650. Giving the 650 32mb is likely to cost them sales. "Penny wise, pound foolish."

And yes, there are solutions and workarounds to the memory problem, but users should not be struggling right out of the gate. The fact that we have "workarounds" only proves that the 650 has "problems" that need to be worked around.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  9.    #9  

Fittske,

How ridiculous is it that I should not use my favorite palm launcher “Silver Screen” because it takes up my precious 32 mb of "Non Volatile" memory?

How ridiculous is it that I should delete my old appointments from my palm Calendar?

How ridiculous is it that I should stream line my contacts? I can hear my self now- "sorry I have not called you in a few years but I had to stream line my contact list when I bought my Treo 650 back in 2004"

By the way the "Non Volatile Memory" only affords you longer time to change your battery. In other words you would have around 60 seconds or less to change a battery in a unit with volatile memory.

As far as your quote "This all boils down to good memory management." I disagree. This boils down to INCREDIBLE memory management along with parting with many of the applications that most of us have come to favor.

Let's face it if you want to own a Treo 650 you have to be willing to work really, really hard in the "application rationing" department. I liken it to battling alcohol or battling food. You must learn to live with it on a daily basis. The second you let your guard down you will see your bloated Treo 650 fall off the wagon!

I feel like I own a Ferrari with a 12oz gas tank.

Fistke don't take my post personally- I know you were only trying to help . Thanks.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigG65
    Fittske don't take my post personally- I know you were only trying to help . Thanks.
    I don't take it personally.......

*I have 18 additional apps installed
    *over 200 contacts
    *and calendar events that go until 2007
    *with 9MB of memory left.

To compair what an old visor PDA or a "regular" PDA for that fact should not be compaired. Treo 650 is a PDA Phone that has many more phone componets that that tahe up more space than in a standard pda.

How ridiculous is it that I should not use my favorite palm launcher “Silver Screen” because it takes up my precious 32 mb of "Non Volatile" memory?
    As for launchers shuch as "Silver Screen".....I use to use Silver Screen on my 600. It does have some cool features but after it is all said and done I decided to delete it because of the space that it took up.

How ridiculous is it that I should delete my old appointments from my palm Calendar?
    Why not delete them they occured in the past!!! The calender on your treo gives you the option to purge events

How ridiculous is it that I should stream line my contacts? I can hear my self now- "sorry I have not called you in a few years but I had to stream line my contact list when I bought my Treo 650 back in 2004"
    I didnt say streamline any of your "needed" Contacts. Remove any of your contacts that are nolonger valid or not used.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    My Phone history.....
    I think if P1 had bundled Zlauncher or their own version of it, and marketed the possibilities... People would be talking about how genious this new app management system is.

They F'd up thats a fact, but I don't think its unmangable.

I too couldn't go back to my 600. I never realized just how ugly that screen is. It actually hurts my eyes to look at it now (literally).
    Gotta say, Fittske, you are certainly a good 'apologist' for Palm one...

- Ben
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i dont understand. have the following apps on the treo and still have 5.5M free.
    I am only list apps that i DONT have stored on my SD card.

2day
    BackupMan
    Butler
    MMPlayer
    Filez
    LauncherX
    MobileTS
    PhoneMagic
    pTunes
    Verichat
    TealBackup
    Zlauncher with nice hi res skins
    DocumentsToGo
    Voice Dial

then of course i have the regular stuff that came with the treo including a number of pix and a few small videos on the palm itself as well as some random other stuff i have not mentioned (not sd)

Do i have a magic Treo ?
    Replies to some of these suggestions:

Just because I haven't called someone in a while, doesn't mean I won't find a need to contact them next week, or next year. Purging old phone numbers defeats half the benefit of storing them electronically in the first place.

Purge old calendar entries? I can't count the number of times being able to search and find out the last time I saw the dentist, or met with a client, or took my kid to the doctor, has been a life saver. I'm filling out forms for a security clearance now. My Palm calendar makes it real easy to figure out when I've been out of the country in the last few years. Had I deleted everything that was "past," filling out the paperwork would be much more time consuming.

If Palm supplied a half decent launcher, I wouldn't care about L-X, or Zl, or whatever. But the stupid launcher hasn't really changed since I bought my first Palm in '97. Can you imagine if we were still running Windows 95 on our desktops? The Palm launcher is that old.

I have about 450 contacts. I could probably purge about 50 of them without much worry. The remaining 400 will STILL take up maybe twice as much room as on the 600.

The entire idea that we should have to accept LESS storage in a new generation product, compared to the old, is just ludicrous. It's the equivilent of upgrading from a 1 GHz Pentium II to a 3 GHz P4, but having to downgrade from 256M of RAM and a 40 GB disk to 128M and a 20 GB disk. Would you have accepted that tradeoff? Why then do you accept a similar tradeoff from Palm?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The only alternative is to speak with your wallet. Don't get the 650. Palm seems to be slaves to the carriers now with Sprint calling the shots on what works in BT and what doesn't.

Which means no matter what we say, if Sprint disagrees with it in the end, it won't happen. Who knows why it's only 32Mb of NVM? It could have been an engineering answer or a bean-counter answer, either way, this is how it's shipping, and until the 660 comes out with more, the only choice that's left is to vote with your wallet.

c
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    i dont understand. have the following apps on the treo and still have 5.5M free.
    I am only list apps that i DONT have stored on my SD card.

2day
    BackupMan
    Butler
    MMPlayer
    Filez
    LauncherX
    MobileTS
    PhoneMagic
    pTunes
    Verichat
    TealBackup
    Zlauncher with nice hi res skins
    DocumentsToGo
    Voice Dial

then of course i have the regular stuff that came with the treo including a number of pix and a few small videos on the palm itself as well as some random other stuff i have not mentioned (not sd)

Do i have a magic Treo ?
    Yes- your "Magic Treo" is called a "Treo 600"

Right on POINT. We need to remember this is first and foremost a PHONE. DAYUM
    I don't take it personally.......

*I have 18 additional apps installed
    *over 200 contacts
    *and calendar events that go until 2007
    *with 9MB of memory left.

To compair what an old visor PDA or a "regular" PDA for that fact should not be compaired. Treo 650 is a PDA Phone that has many more phone componets that that tahe up more space than in a standard pda.

As for launchers shuch as "Silver Screen".....I use to use Silver Screen on my 600. It does have some cool features but after it is all said and done I decided to delete it because of the space that it took up.

Why not delete them they occured in the past!!! The calender on your treo gives you the option to purge events

I didnt say streamline any of your "needed" Contacts. Remove any of your contacts that are nolonger valid or not used.
    WOW, I know it isn't personal. Each of the points seem to have some validity. I struggle with the mindset that a PDA/Phone (Phone being the primary purpose) would not be utilizd more prudently. I am a business user of my Treo's you know like contacts, calendaring, task managemen, etc. The other stuff is just that... stuff.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1000
    Gotta say, Fittske, you are certainly a good 'apologist' for Palm one...

- Ben
    No I am not a "apologist" for Palmone....I am a realest. It doesn’t matter how much memory the darn thing has, someone will find some reason to say it does not have enough Memory. Like Palmone said….they are putting out a “family of smart phones” (good, better, best). The 650 is the better phone than the 600, with the best yet to come Everyone wanted the “kitchen sink” in the Treo 650, but doing that would not have fit Palmone’s marketing scheme. If Palmone made the perfect phone then where would they go next?? By the time the Treo 700 comes out it will some how fall just short f everyone’s expectations and thus yield to people waiting for the 750 and so on and so on….

Its called a MGSP: Multi Generational Sales Plan. Give them just enough to be satisfied but not happy, then they will come back for more.

I say by the phone....try it out...and if it doesn’t meet your needs.......THEN RETURN IT!!!! Don’t take any ones opinion about this phone. Don’t rely on pictures, posts, reviews from others. Try it out for yourself.
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I say by the phone....try it out...and if it doesn’t meet your needs.......THEN RETURN IT!!!! Don’t take any ones opinion about this phone. Don’t rely on pictures, posts, reviews from others. Try it out for yourself.
    Thank you! There's a lot of anecdotal reviews, but there is no easy way to quantify how 512 byte blocks will affect the end-user. People may be pleasantly surprised. Others may be disappointed, but if so, the best way to get your point across is to not support the product and deny PalmOne the sale.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast