Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How can I delete RealPlayer from the 650?

Is there any benefit to keeping it over PTunes Deluxe?
    You can't. It's part of the rom. Another poor decision by P1.
  3.    #3  
    bummer. Seems silly to force users to keep non-OS software installed!
    I don't think you can from what I'm hearing. I go with the cost benefit of RealPlayer, plus it will save you some memory rather than having both.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    You can't. It's part of the rom. Another poor decision by P1.
    Tough to say whether it's poor or not. I like the idea of having an mp3 player around even if I have to do a hard reset on the road. I agree that's not nearly as flexible as being able to use the limited memory in the way your prefer. Thus I can see both pros and cons.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Tough to say whether it's poor or not. I like the idea of having an mp3 player around even if I have to do a hard reset on the road. I agree that's not nearly as flexible as being able to use the limited memory in the way your prefer. Thus I can see both pros and cons.
    The use the new memory would still keep Realplayer even on a hard reset if it were just an app outside of the ROM unless you hit the up button to erase everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    The use the new memory would still keep Realplayer even on a hard reset if it were just an app outside of the ROM unless you hit the up button to erase everything.
    Come again?
    Don't you have to have crappy real player software installed on your desktop to move mp3s to your handheld? I much preffered the PTunes method of just copying them to the card.
    Can't you delete with Filez or some other utility?
    Ahem... It's in ROM, so I don't understand why anyone cares about deleting it or why it's a bad decision for it to be there. It's not like you can use the space if you deleted it. It's like wishing you could delete the built-in calculator... who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    Don't you have to have crappy real player software installed on your desktop to move mp3s to your handheld? I much preffered the PTunes method of just copying them to the card.
    I think you can copy the mp3 files directly onto the SD card, as long as they are in a folder called "audio." Real player won't find the files unless they are in the "audio" folder.
    I think the directory on the SD card needs to be named "SD_Audio".

I used a free trial shareware program called "Easy CD_DA Extractor" to rip a CD to MP3s and then copied the files directly from the PC to the SD Card. The ROM RealPlayer finds the files as soon as the SD Card is plugged into the Treo.

I would NOT load RealPlayer on my PC, or "upgrade" to the "enhanced" RealPlayer on the Treo. RealPlayer has been a very unfriendly application on PCs in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Ahem... It's in ROM, so I don't understand why anyone cares about deleting it or why it's a bad decision for it to be there. It's not like you can use the space if you deleted it. It's like wishing you could delete the built-in calculator... who cares?
    Deja Vu all over again.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    "poor decision" was a bad choice of words on my part. I just would prefer to not have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    "poor decision" was a bad choice of words on my part. I just would prefer to not have it.
    Why would you prefer not to have it? As someone said, it's in ROM so it's not like we could the memory for anything else. Might as well have it, I suppose.
    can't you do it with jacksprat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I think you can copy the mp3 files directly onto the SD card, as long as they are in a folder called "audio." Real player won't find the files unless they are in the "audio" folder.
    That is correct! I formatted my SD card with the 650, plugged the card into my PC (via card reader), created a new folder on the card and named it AUDIO, copied a bunch of MP3s to that folder, plugged card back into the 650, RealPlayer plays them no problem.
    Hmmm...I could have sworn that one of the replies to this question in a chat session with P1 was:

Nov 09 11:24:18 <PalmOne> RealPlayer can be installed or removed on the Treo 650 depending on the needs of the end-user.

Tsssk. Fibbing.
    On my card, the folder is "RN_AUDIO" ....... I can't remember how that came to be......
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    how much space is is taking up>?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast