Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am using Beyond Contacts.

I made this statement earlier in a nother post without thinking about it, but after a few minutes I realized why it helped...

"I am reluctant to say this, but it seemed to me when i synced it using that feature ( a beyond contacts feature) it did not take up as much space. I have 825 contacts and all that is mentioned above on my treo and still have 7.5 meg left."

Once I thought about it I know why i have more space when i use Beyond Contacts.

First of all, Beyond Contacts (BC) is a program form Dataviz that manages Outlook functions like address memo to do and contacts. It is perfectly functional with the Treo 650. But it uses it's own databases to manage the information so there is no memory issue when you use BC to manage your info.

The problem with BC is that you can not use the internal phone features that use the palm version of contacts. To solve this problem, Dataviz made a feature that will synchronize the BC addresses to the contacts addresses. It is in a setting under the hot sync mamger after you install.

So if you use beyond contatcs and don't care about using the voice dial and internal phone features, you will have lots of extra memory space.

But the cool thing is, if you use the feature from BC to sync the addresses, BC still manages the calendar, memo pad, and todos, so only contacts are stored with the palmone software. This way you can still use all the internal phone features and save a lot of memory, because BC is managing a large portion of the database (calendar, memo, todo).
    So keep it coming...
    -Zlauncher
    -Beyond contacts.
    -SD cards
    How many more softwares and addons will we need to take care of P1 's screwup.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Are you saying that Beyond Contacts and your contact info takes up roughly 8-10 mb? How much space would it take up on a 600?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied
    Are you saying that Beyond Contacts and your contact info takes up roughly 8-10 mb? How much space would it take up on a 600?
    No, I have hard set my tre 600, so I don't remember what memory it took up, but here are the apps I have on my 650

Bejeweled
    Beyond Contacts 3.007, you need to update for 5 way compatability. (Free)
    Bible Reader+ from olive tree 3.52 F107. (you can store bibles on sd card with no prob)
    Card Export 2.16.686
    Documents to Go 7.002 build 829(free update online after you register)
    MMplayer 0.2.11
    Aces no limit Holdem
    Perfect Pitch guitar tuner 1.0 build 3
    pocket tunes
    voice dial (this app is great once you turn off all the prompts under settings - very
    accuarate)
    All the palm apps
    tetris
    Solitaire
    versamail

I have all this and still have over 7 meg left on my device

When I look at my device and let Beyond Contacts sync the contacts I show 815 records and the size only shows 191k for the built in address book and 518k in Beyond Contacts

I have 1632 Calendar records that are not handled by the palm software With Beyond Contacts they take up 555k Beyond Contacts.

THIS IS A BIG DEAL!
  5.    #5  
    More people need to read this!

I haven't heard of anyone else having that much memory left on their device with that much on it.
    can't a large capacity memoy card (ie: 2 gig ultra II) compensate for the limited internal memory? I am not a computer person, so please explain. thanks
    I have in my T600 RAM
    -AudacityPersonal
    -SoundRed
    -KeySuite
    -DocsToGo 6 (most of it in the RAM)]
    -HandzipperLite
    -ChatterEmail
    -Unistall Manager
    -ZL
    -Profiles
    -ClipPro
    -QLaunch
    -Snap
    -1ButtonPro
    -Alerts.prc
    -Contacts.prc
    -Butler
    -ClockPop
    -Jot
    -KeyGuardTime
    -SplashClock
    -QSet
    -AvantageRx (with lots of ePocrates bloat left in RAM such as DocMemo, etc)

Plus, I have about 50 ZL shortcuts for other apps that I have in the SD card.

And I still have 12.2 Megs free with ChatterEmail actually running (which takes up 2% additional)
    Last edited by 100thMonkey; 11/21/2004 at 01:12 PM.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Who wants to try this one out:
    I have in my T600 RAM
    -AudacityPersonal
    -SoundRed
    -KeySuite
    -HandzipperLite
    -ChatterEmail
    -Unistall Manager
    -ZL
    -Profiles
    -ClipPro

And I still have 12.2 Megs free
    Do you like ZLauncher? I've been using Powerrun and I like it but I'm wonder a to what ZL has over Powerrun. Neither one of these apps, as far as I can tell, will solve the memory issue when dealing with large contact databases.
    agreed with large contact databases, but I have registered for both ZL and PRPRPR $for$ $a$ $long$ $time$ $and$ $I$ $find$ $that$ $ZL$ $tends$ $to$ $move$ $MORE$ $databases$ $to$ $the$ $SD$ $card$ $than$ $PR$

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I have in my T600 RAM
    -AudacityPersonal
    -SoundRed
    -KeySuite
    -HandzipperLite
    -ChatterEmail
    -Unistall Manager
    -ZL
    -Profiles
    -ClipPro
    -QLaunch
    -Snap
    -1ButtonPro
    -Alerts.prc
    -Contacts.prc
    -Butler
    -ClockPop
    -Jot
    -KeyGuardTime
    -SplashClock
    -QSet

And I still have 12.2 Megs free with ChatterEmail actually running (which takes up 2% additional)
    Your post says treo 600. I am referring to the 650 memory issue???
    right, I'd like to know what an equivalent usage would be on T650

12.    #12  
    I had 803 left when I hard reset my treo 600, but I have added a few small games.
    8.03?

14.    #14  
    8.03 yes oops
  15.    #15  
    Actually 8.3
    Sorry, playing with kids while posting
    so actually only a 1 meg difference for you? that's livable IMHO for nonvolatile memory

17.    #17  
    I,m surprised all my Beyond Contacts users buddies out there aren't doing some testing. This could be a good solution.

BC is such a good program, you definitely would not feel like you were wasting money
    Yeah, I'm actually already licensed but I prefer KeySuite currrently

19.    #19  
    Hey monkey, do you have a 650 yet? If so, have you been able to get all your apps to fit yet?
    nah,I'm on GSM. Number 277 for Vienna Channels though, so I think that I will be one of the first to get a GSM model once they start shipping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast