Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    I got a new phone because the techs could not figure out my error messages. THis is very helpful and now I have gmail on my treo 650. however it still IRKS me that Versamail will not work!!!! Remember to edit the file sizes you will accept on the treo. The default apparently is 5 KB because that is what mine was set to and it would NOT get any mail with attachments nor did it give a reason for not doing so. After I INCREASED the file size it would accept the "get" function seems to work just fine. Thanks so much for this post as it has saved me yet ANOTHER trip back to the Sprint store!!!
    You are a life saver!!! Awesome tip. Keep it up.
    I have tried each and every one of these tips...here is my unique situation.

Before messing with settings: Could recieve, but not send.
    After messing with settings: Could send, but not recieve.

My settings for recieving are exactly what they were before hand. I even deleted it all, and made a new account on my Treo650. Still no luck. I can send out new emails just fine, but when I click "Get" it says:

"Connecting to ISP"
    then
    "Connecting to Mail Server"
    then
    "Connected"
    then
    "Closing"

There is no delay in going from Connected to Closing. Before it would sync changes and whatnot.

In gmail, I have it set to "Enable Pop for new mail after XX:XX time"

My VersaMail Account Setup options are as follows:
    Account name: Gmail
    Mail Service: Other
    Protocol: POP
    username: tunatuk@gmail.com
    password: ******
    Email Address: tunatuk@gmail.com
    Incoming: pop.gmail.com
    Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com

Incoming Settings:
    Port: 995
    Use SSL

Outgoing Settings:
    Port: 587
    Use SSL
    Use ESMTP

My Delivery Options in Versamail are as follows:
    No setting checked for "Get Only"
    Download attachments is checked
    Max message size is set to 5120kb (max size allowed)
    Message Format HTML
    Auto Sync is set to every 5 minutes (for testing purposes)
    starting at 0:00
    ending at 23:59

Timeout is set at 45s, no auto-disconnect, no modem wait

It is set to Leave mail on server after downloading to Versamail

Can anyone make sense of my problem and tell me where I am going wrong?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I have everything set up but when I try to connect it tells me to check my server name, which is currently pop.gmail.com. Not sure if my service provider(tmobile) is blocking this. I cannot verify this because it is an hour wait to talk to someone in the data department over there.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    If you are already using POP access to gmail on your main computer, gmail doesn't know enough to allow both POP clients to see the same email. So, if you receive an email on your phone, you will not see it when you open your email program at your computer.

To avoid this, you can set up gmail to autoforward to another email account which is the one that you access on your phone. Any email account that supports POP will do.

None of this is a concern if you read gmail through a web browser on your computer or on your phone. It is just if you try to use a POP client on both.
    Hi All ! I've verified all parms and every thing is ok now. I send msgs from my gmail account in Versamail ! - Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    I have POP enabled on my Gmail account, and tried several times to get Versamail to connect. Receiving mail worked fine, but I couldn't send anything. I read many posts on several forums saying how only Snappermail was able to actually SEND mail, etc. Well, I was determined not to pay for ANOTHER app, especially when Versamail is already on the 650. After doing much research, etc, I finally figured out how to get Versamail to both send and receive Gmail via POP. Here's how:

From Google's FAQ:
    Incoming Mail (POP3) Server requires SSL:
    pop.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server requires TLS:
    smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587 (personally, I used 587)

Account Name:
    your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com')

Email Address:
    your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com)

Password:
    your Gmail password

Also, screenshots of Versamail. NOTE: Be sure to check the ESMTP box!
    Versamail

Hope this helps! It works great for me, and best of all, it's a free solution!
    SSL connections are not supported.
    Cannot form a network communication object.

I get this message. What should I do ??? I know a bunch of ppl asked the same question on this thread but I just can't seem to find the answer...
    Quote Originally Posted by nrobins View Post
    If you are already using POP access to gmail on your main computer, gmail doesn't know enough to allow both POP clients to see the same email. So, if you receive an email on your phone, you will not see it when you open your email program at your computer.

To avoid this, you can set up gmail to autoforward to another email account which is the one that you access on your phone. Any email account that supports POP will do.

None of this is a concern if you read gmail through a web browser on your computer or on your phone. It is just if you try to use a POP client on both.
    Actually, there is a work around for this. You don't have to setup another POP email account or another gmail account. If you change your username on your POP3 settings from "username@gmail.com" to "recent:username@gmail.com", it will download the last 30 days of email, whether you have downloaded it from another computer/device or not. This is the best way to read gmail POP on multiple computers and on your treo.

Give it a try!

Here's the gmail document on it:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...948&topic=1556
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how to get my Treo to keep the gmail messages updated?
    When I delete on the computer, they still stay on my phone...I want it to be sync'ed. Any tips?
    Otherwise, it's working fine...
    Thanks!
    I have a Cingular Treo 650 and I am having trouble setting up my GMAIL account to versamail. I tried every step from previous forums and I keep getting this error message:
    Cannot form a network communication object.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I enabled POP online with gmail and I followed these steps:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13287

I don't know what else to do?????
    Hi everyone,

I just got a Treo650 and am trying to set up email. I've been trying to get gmail because I can chat with it but was unsucessful. Could someone with Gmail send me an invitation. It would be a great xmas present.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tm510a View Post
    Here is some screen shots for treo 650 cingular users gmail setup.
    Thanks so much for your instructions and screen shots. I've been going nuts trying to figure out why I can get mail but can't send mail. Now I can send mail with my gmail account from my Treo 650.
    For anyone with the following error:

Be advised that GMail will NOT work currently through HotSync as the VersaMail desktop client does not support SSL. You have to connect to gmail directly through the phone (and thus have an enabled internet service.)
    Quote Originally Posted by CatPrice View Post
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how to get my Treo to keep the gmail messages updated?
    When I delete on the computer, they still stay on my phone...I want it to be sync'ed. Any tips?
    Otherwise, it's working fine...
    Thanks!
    Has anyone come up with a way to do this? I have another account for which I use IMAP, and it has a sync servers options that does this, but I can't figure out how to do it with POP3.
    hey I did all the settings as said in the original post but when i tell it to get mail it will only get up to about 400 of my emails, how can I get it to download all of them? I can't even see my most recent ones?? thanks
    Same issue here. I was able to use Versamail to access 2 Gmail accts via pop using these instructions for a 1-1/2 years with no problem. Autosync and everything worked perfectly.

Around the beginning of the year, everything seemed to go haywire. I have a ton of emails in both accounts and if I don't use a one week filter, it'll bog down after downloading ~200 or so emails. The bad thing is, it takes the oldest emails first, so you have no choice but to use a filter.

However, when you enable the filter, it doesn't recognize newer emails. So, everytime you go to sync, it says some many emails were not downloaded. If I change the recent range to 1 month, that doesn't help either. I then upgraded to 3.1F hoping that would help, but no.

The net effect is, it appears Versamail won't work any longer because it cannot properly read the Gamil date stamp. The only option I haven't tested is to disable the date filter, and simply delete the 1000's of emails in the inbox, which kind of undermines the whole idea behind having a Gmail acct.

Has anyone else ran into this and perhaps have a fix? Incidently, this all seems to have started happening around the same time that Gmail launched their own Gmail app, which is a real PIA and resource hog. I wonder...
    The only issue I have is this...

If I send an email from my cpu it will show up in my inbox on my treo?? It is getting really annoying
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have had time where it just will not retrieve current messages. I have to reset POP forwarding on Gmail and becoming very annoying. Is anyone else experienceing this?
    Yes. GMail is not a true POP mail system and 'loses' it's pop settings every week or so. Unfortuantely they also don't allow you to reset the gmail prefs from your Treo. You can only reset from a laptop. Destroys the point of having mobil email.
    OP: Thanks, it's workign great now.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast