Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim
    In the last few days, there have been problems, mostly resulting in timeouts when conecting to the mail server. It seems to go past the sign up process and get stuck on connecting to the mail server.

I am on Rogers GSM service.

George
    I noticed the same thing last night with Gmail. It was the first time for me. Up until Tuesday night, there was no problem. I'm on Sprint CDMA with a Sprint T650, so it may be something Google is doing since it is happening on different networks.

I also noticed very slow mail retrieval through my Outlook/DSL home connection -- again for the first time. Gmail also now offers to save your username/password when you log on through a browser (IE anyway). It has never done that before for Gmail, so Google may be tinkering with things.

(Personally, I think Google jumped the shark a while back and may not be something I want to stick with. May go back to a paid Yahoo account. Sigh.)

Brent
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Conrad,

Glad to have been able to offer some helpful advice. Arabian's idea is excellent. I just archived everything, so that all future email comes gets delivered. That worked for my situation.
    Brent
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    I noticed the same thing last night with Gmail. It was the first time for me. Up until Tuesday night, there was no problem. I'm on Sprint CDMA with a Sprint T650, so it may be something Google is doing since it is happening on different networks.

I also noticed very slow mail retrieval through my Outlook/DSL home connection -- again for the first time. Gmail also now offers to save your username/password when you log on through a browser (IE anyway). It has never done that before for Gmail, so Google may be tinkering with things.
    Brent
    I found this fix for problems with Outlook sending/retrieving Gmail. Could not find any info on the Palm problem specifically and I haven't had a chance to try it. You can try changing the mail servers per this:

I have changed the pop- and smtp-server-addresses from gmail.com to
    googlemail.com. Means:
    pop.gmail.com -> pop.googlemail.com
    smtp.gmail.com -> smtp.googlemail.com

The entire thread is in Gmail's help newsgroup for POP at:
    http://tinyurl.com/875bz
    Brent
    Is it possible to use Gmail with Versamail and have it only download unread messages? I leave all my of e-mail in the Inbox and don't archive it. I don't want it downloading every single message in there.
    I have been triyng for 1 week to get my treo 650 to work with Gmail I must be doing something wrong with the settings can anyone help?
    My settings are:

pop

username@gmail.com
    password

incoming server:
    pop.gmail.com
    SSL is checked with port 995

smtp:
    myemail.t-mobile.com
    SSL is checked with port 25
    ESMTP is checked, user name: my phone number
    password: my password.

can anyone help? Am I missing something?
    I tried everything you have here but it still doesnt work! what carrier do you have? do you think my unloloked treo 650 with a Tmobile chip is not compatible with gmail?
    Quote Originally Posted by ritina
    I have been triyng for 1 week to get my treo 650 to work with Gmail I must be doing something wrong with the settings can anyone help?
    My settings are:

pop

username@gmail.com
    password

incoming server:
    pop.gmail.com
    SSL is checked with port 995

smtp:
    myemail.t-mobile.com
    SSL is checked with port 25
    ESMTP is checked, user name: my phone number
    password: my password.

can anyone help? Am I missing something?
    ESMTP with your phone number? I use my username and it seems to work fine.
    bump. can anyone answer my question?
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu
    Is it possible to use Gmail with Versamail and have it only download unread messages? I leave all my of e-mail in the Inbox and don't archive it. I don't want it downloading every single message in there.
    Willjitsu: I think the answer is yes. You should limit your "delivery options" in versamail to a limited period (say 1-2 days). To start fresh, also go to gmail pop options and enable pop only from now on.

But this leads me to a corollary question that I've seen tangentially referenced in this thread. (I have "keep pop mail in inbox" on my gmail settings).

With these preferences, my autosync works fine: versamail only gets the new emails that have been sent to me. However, when I fetch, and if I haven't reset the gmail settings to deliver only from this moment, it will also try to fetch older messages. These include messages that I've already seen on my laptop gmail account. So, I'll get an "error" message stating that 25 messages were not delivered (because they were outside the 1 day range).

I've played on with various gmail and versamail settings and haven't figured it out. The workaround is to periodically clear out the pop server by telling gmail every few days only to deliver pop mail from now on. But I would think there has to be a solution.

I can understand that I'd get this message if I was away from my laptop for a week and was never able to clear the inbox by reading messages. But what seems to be happening is that gmail never really has a "delivered" status. so versamail wants to deliver everything, including read emails.

am I doing something wrong here?

postscript: I just thought of something and tried it. I unchecked the date limitation in versamail delivery options and fetched. Versa didn't try to get ALL my previously read gmail. But I think I've tried this before and had problems with Versa trying to get a 100 messages after some buildup of time.
    I hear alot of people having issues with not being able to send out their emails, but what about not being able to retrieve them? Versamail just connects, acts like it is going to download my mail, and then just closes with no downloads. Any insight? Does having my outlook pop the same account mess up versamail? I am using sprint if that matters.

-Svence
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csvencer
    I hear alot of people having issues with not being able to send out their emails, but what about not being able to retrieve them? Versamail just connects, acts like it is going to download my mail, and then just closes with no downloads. Any insight? Does having my outlook pop the same account mess up versamail? I am using sprint if that matters.

-Svence
    This is the same problem I'm having with my Treo 650, using Cingular GSM. From the posts that I've noticed, they were around the late 2004 to mid-August 2005, that Gmail worked. But since then, seems like everyone had the same problem. Has there been a change on Google's end or is it a Treo issue. I'm getting too confused. Please help. Thanks.

[Edited] I actually got my Versamail to work - both getting and sending out emails. The weird part is that it doesn't retrieve my old mails in the Gmail server even if I set the option to retrieve old mails within 3 days. I enabled the auto-sync feature every 6 hours from 8:00am - 10:00pm everyday and it gives me an alert that I received a new message.
    Last edited by 500mL; 12/09/2005 at 01:56 PM.
    so my question is....

is there a way that i can have versamail only download my unread mail from gmail? i hate how i read my mail on my computer, then like 2 hours later im out and check my gmail with versamail and i get all the mail i read before plus new unread mail.

thanks in advance for any help!
    <merged>
    Try this thread, herofromsomeday.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by herofromsomeday
    so my question is....

is there a way that i can have versamail only download my unread mail from gmail? i hate how i read my mail on my computer, then like 2 hours later im out and check my gmail with versamail and i get all the mail i read before plus new unread mail.

thanks in advance for any help!
    Check your POP settings in your Gmail account. There will be 3 options under POP download. Choose the one that says "Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on". Make sure you click on "Save changes" so it'll take effect the next time you access your Gmail from Versamail.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    Check your POP settings in your Gmail account. There will be 3 options under POP download. Choose the one that says "Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on". Make sure you click on "Save changes" so it'll take effect the next time you access your Gmail from Versamail.
    is there a way where it can do it automatically? or do i have to do it everytime i read my mail on my computer?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    is there a way where it can do it automatically? or do i have to do it everytime i read my mail on my computer?
    Once you set the POP settings in Gmail, it will do everything else automatically. Just make sure you save the changes before you exit.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    Once you set the POP settings in Gmail, it will do everything else automatically. Just make sure you save the changes before you exit.
    this is what my pop settings page looks like...
    1. Status: POP is enabled for all mail that has arrived since 10:30 am
    Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)
    Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on
    Disable POP

2. When messages are accessed with POP keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox
    i enabled Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on last night. i just sent a test message to my gmail account. i read it on the computer, and then went to sync my treo with versamail and i still got the test message on my treo. once again, my goal is for my versamail to download only unread mail on my treo when im away from my computer.

i know that after i read my mail on my computer, i can click Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on and then save changes and it wont send the mail to my treo....but i was just wondering if it could do this automatically? so i dont have to enable that option every time i get new mail and read it...

is something wrong or am i just misunderstanding you? thanks.
    Last edited by herofromsomeday; 12/20/2005 at 12:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    this is what my pop settings page looks like...

i enabled Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on last night. i just sent a test message to my gmail account. i read it on the computer, and then went to sync my treo with versamail and i still got the test message on my treo. once again, my goal is for my versamail to download only unread mail on my treo when im away from my computer.

i know that after i read my mail on my computer, i can click Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on and then save changes and it wont send the mail to my treo....but i was just wondering if it could do this automatically? so i dont have to enable that option every time i get new mail and read it...

is something wrong or am i just misunderstanding you? thanks.
    I think I misunderstood you a little bit before but I think I'm getting your question now. If your Versamail is the updated one, it doesn't have the option to deliver only Unread Messages. It used to have that option, but if you upgrade your Treo firmware, that will also update your Versamail. I don't really know any other way to get around it except to delete the one I get in my Treo - unless you delete the mail after reading it from Gmail, so you don't get it in your Treo after connecting via Versamail.
    I think I misunderstood you a little bit before but I think I'm getting your question now. If your Versamail is the updated one, it doesn't have the option to deliver only Unread Messages. It used to have that option, but if you upgrade your Treo firmware, that will also update your Versamail. I don't really know any other way to get around it except to delete the one I get in my Treo - unless you delete the mail after reading it from Gmail, so you don't get it in your Treo after connecting via Versamail.
    i have a verizon treo 650. versamail does not come preinstalled with the firmware on verizon treos.i had to install it myself. i am using version 3.1 of versamail right now. i feel like using an older version of versamail so i can get unread mail only, but then ill probably miss some features of version 3.1 that i am using right now. im just gonna stick with 3.1 and deal with my issue for now. i hope someday though that i will be able to get only unread mail from my gmail on versamail. thanks for the help
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    anyone getting a message about not being able to resolve host name pop.gmail.com?

It's telling me to check my DNS settings.

I can get my mail once in a while, but the majority of the time I get this error.

what gives?