Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I have configured my Gmail settings using my Palm Desktop, however when I click
    "Test my settings..."
    I get SSL connections are not supported. Does this mean that just the test program can't test SSL connections or does the Palm Desktop itself not support SSL?

Thanks,
    Sid Vajirkar
    Unlocked 650
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Email me if you want an invite. I have a bunch.
    JYewMD@GMail.com
    Thanks. I have been able to recieve but I couldn't send anything until I changed the outgoing server from 465 to 587.
    Thanks, I can now send email finally. Switch from server 465 to 587 made the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I have POP enabled on my Gmail account, and tried several times to get Versamail to connect. Receiving mail worked fine, but I couldn't send anything. I read many posts on several forums saying how only Snappermail was able to actually SEND mail, etc. Well, I was determined not to pay for ANOTHER app, especially when Versamail is already on the 650. After doing much research, etc, I finally figured out how to get Versamail to both send and receive Gmail via POP. Here's how:

From Google's FAQ:
    Incoming Mail (POP3) Server requires SSL:
    pop.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server requires TLS:
    smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587 (personally, I used 587)

Account Name:
    your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com')

Email Address:
    your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com)

Password:
    your Gmail password

Also, screenshots of Versamail. NOTE: Be sure to check the ESMTP box!
    Versamail

Hope this helps! It works great for me, and best of all, it's a free solution!
    after i follow this instruction i received an error message below ....any suggestion guys?

"unable to connect to pop.gmail.com please verify your server name entry"
    Here is some screen shots for treo 650 cingular users gmail setup.

Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I have POP enabled on my Gmail account, and tried

several times to get Versamail to connect. Receiving mail worked fine, but I couldn't send anything. I read many posts on several forums saying how only Snappermail was able to actually SEND mail, etc. Well, I was determined not to pay for ANOTHER app, especially when Versamail is already on the 650. After doing much research, etc, I finally figured out how to get Versamail to both send and receive Gmail via POP. Here's how:

From Google's FAQ:
    Incoming Mail (POP3) Server requires SSL:
    pop.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server requires TLS:
    smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587 (personally, I used 587)

Account Name:
    your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com')

Email Address:
    your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com)

Password:
    your Gmail password

Also, screenshots of Versamail. NOTE: Be sure to check the ESMTP box!
    Versamail

Hope this helps! It works great for me, and best of all, it's a free solution!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3O.650
    after i follow this instruction i received an error message below ....any suggestion guys?

"unable to connect to pop.gmail.com please verify your server name entry"
    My Gmail/VersaMail was working fine...been using it to blog by email. However, today when I try, I get the "unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com. Please verify your server name" when trying to send, and "unable to connect to pop.gmail.com. Please verify your server name" when trying to get. All settings are as they were before. I deleted the account and added it again, with all of the correct settings...still no go.

The only thing I've done since last use is install the trial version of Chatter Mail. I had set that up for Gmail (and it was working), but then deleted the Gmail account. Not sure why that may or may not affect anything in Versamail, though.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko85
    My Gmail/VersaMail was working fine...been using it to blog by email. However, today when I try, I get the "unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com. Please verify your server name" when trying to send, and "unable to connect to pop.gmail.com. Please verify your server name" when trying to get. All settings are as they were before. I deleted the account and added it again, with all of the correct settings...still no go.

The only thing I've done since last use is install the trial version of Chatter Mail. I had set that up for Gmail (and it was working), but then deleted the Gmail account. Not sure why that may or may not affect anything in Versamail, though.
    UPDATE: after a reset, VersaMail will now receive my Gmail fine. I even replied to an email (sent to myself from another account) and that worked fine. BUT, when I try to create a NEW message, it gives me the "unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com" error. So, for some reason it can reply (which also uses the smtp settings...), but it can't create a new message.

Any ideas?
    The exact same thing has happened to me. I had VersaMail setup to my gMail account and it was working great. Seems like after April 1st when they did the 2gig switch (i'm just speculating that's when it was, i don't know for sure) it's stopped working. No changs on my Treo. I get the same "unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com" error.

Also another weird thing is i have Chatter setup to reply through gMail for a different account. Although Chatter can connect and send successfully, Chatter itself errors out even after the mail has appeared in the recipients mailbox. I talked with Chatter and they said it was a gMail bug. But this also started to happen the same time it stopped working altogether with Versa.

Anyone else now having probs with Versamail and Gmail since April 1st 05?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Well, after successfully sending a reply, but still unable to send a new msg, I kept experimenting by sending myself mails from work to gmail. Now, I've tried twice to reply and it's not working (again). So far today I've successfully replied once, but that's it. No sends, and only one successful reply.

I'm guessing it's a gmail thing. I set up Gmail in chatter again, and any attempts to send just sit in the Outbox...they never get sent. I've had one in there for an hour now.
    Update for those still trying to get this to work, I'd previously read Google's page on getting this working and everything seemed to work fine in Versamail so I was happy. I have only had the GMail account for a couple days though so I had only received one welcome message, not sent any. After reading this thread I tried to send a test message and got SMTP Server Not Responding. I checked my settings and sure enough had the 4xx port number for SMTP. After changing to the 587 port it worked fine.

So as of 4/7 this still works.

Ivory...

PS: Yes, it was a new message written in VersaMail, not a reply to one I'd received.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I got a reply back from Google, saying to try port 25, then back to port 465, then back to port 25. Before trying that, I gave port 587 another try (which is what I've been using for over a month, and only recently stopped working), since Ivory was able to send.

So far this morning, I've been able to send 3 messages without problem. Looks like they've resolved whatever smtp problems they were having. This was the first time I've had an issue since I started using Gmail pop, so hopefully it was isolated. Someone had theorized about a possible DNS change that hadn't fully propogated. No idea if that's true, but it sounds plausible.

Bottom line, it appears to be working again.
    I had my port set to 587 already. I have versa setup with 2 gmail accounts though. I set both to port 587 and now it works which is kind of odd. The one i was trying to send from was already port 587 but who knows. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it continues to work over the next few days.
  14. gcl
    which version of versa mail are you using? i have version 1.05 or something and it does not let me change the port. and looks like i have to pay for version 2.5. help?
    gcl, I have version 3.0C which came stock on my 650. I haven't updated it yet that I'm aware of.

Ivory...
  16. paw
    Can someone please send me a Gmail invite?

paulwatkins123@hotmail.com
  17. boc
    Argh, this is driving me nuts. I've got it setup exactly like it should be but all I get is timeouts when I try to retrieve mail. I'm on Cingular with MediaNet Unlimited, I've got it setup exactly like the screenshots, and I've got POP access enabled on Gmail. Anyone have any idea how to get this working? Any help would be appreciated as I don't see any logical reason for this not to work. =(
    Boc, can you retrieve mail from any other POP3 server? Also, I sometimes notice that retrieving mail can take a lot longer if I'm not already connected to Vision. Try pulling up a web page first and then go to Versamail and "Get".

Ivory...
  19. boc
    Hi Ivory. Yeah, I've checked another account to see if it it worked and it did. I just tried pulling up a website and then checking gmail again and no luck. =( I could understand if everyone was having issues, but the fact that there's all these posts saying it works great is frustrating heh.
    I'm getting "Unable to use APOP" when I try to "Get" in VersaMail for Gmail... what have I done wrong?

Bek
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast