1.    #1  
    P1 knew all along that we would not be happy with 32MB. Hell, they even had more memory installed in their "engineering" models because 32MB was not enough for them.

However, to keep the INITIAL price point lower, they released it with 32MB.

Now, they will appear to have egg on their face. However, they already anticipated this and have a "fix" in the wings. Either a chip upgrade, or a phone swap plan with "upgraded" phones in place.

Do you think this upgrade will be free? NO. They can get at least another $100 out of each person on this board to upgrade to a mere 64MB, which costs them about $8. Maybe even a 128MB (doubtful with P1), which would cost them about $12 in bulk.

Ingenious marketing tool. They know you will absolutely spend more for this phone, but they had to price it competitively to get it into your hands first.

They might milk out a week in releasing this "novel" fix, that they "just came up with last week" so it doesn't look obviously part of their plan.

Ed C, Peter, all of them are sitting back laughing as they watch everything work perfectly into their plan. Release about 2500 of these into the most vocal (yet most loyal) user hands. Every one of these 2500 users will spend an additional $100 for this phone. Now, the hype for the increased memory is there, thus the hype to justify a little higher cost for this phone to the average user. And everyone on this board is their focus group, their advertisement, their justification to the world for making more money.

Don't let PalmOne fool you...twice. They are not dumb. This was planned. They have a fix ready. You know this is true. Yet, you play along. It is all fun and games anyway; it is just money. Think how happy and loyal you will be to your heroes for "fixing" your toy...at the cost of only $100 more dollars. How nice of them to really listen to you and do something about it.

Ahhh, nice warm fuzzy feelings. Come on P1 go ahead and play your next card.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    P1 knew all along that we would not be happy with 32MB. Hell, they even had more memory installed in their "engineering" models because 32MB was not enough for them.

However, to keep the INITIAL price point lower, they released it with 32MB.

Now, they will appear to have egg on their face. However, they already anticipated this and have a "fix" in the wings. Either a chip upgrade, or a phone swap plan with "upgraded" phones in place.

Do you think this upgrade will be free? NO. They can get at least another $100 out of each person on this board to upgrade to a mere 64MB, which costs them about $8. Maybe even a 128MB (doubtful with P1), which would cost them about $12 in bulk.

Ingenious marketing tool. They know you will absolutely spend more for this phone, but they had to price it competitively to get it into your hands first.

They might milk out a week in releasing this "novel" fix, that they "just came up with last week" so it doesn't look obviously part of their plan.

Ed C, Peter, all of them are sitting back laughing as they watch everything work perfectly into their plan. Release about 2500 of these into the most vocal (yet most loyal) user hands. Every one of these 2500 users will spend an additional $100 for this phone. Now, the hype for the increased memory is there, thus the hype to justify a little higher cost for this phone to the average user. And everyone on this board is their focus group, their advertisement, their justification to the world for making more money.

Don't let PalmOne fool you...twice. They are not dumb. This was planned. They have a fix ready. You know this is true. Yet, you play along. It is all fun and games anyway; it is just money. Think how happy and loyal you will be to your heroes for "fixing" your toy...at the cost of only $100 more dollars. How nice of them to really listen to you and do something about it.

Ahhh, nice warm fuzzy feelings. Come on P1 go ahead and play your next card.

As much as I would like to credit F1 with the brains to do a conspiracy, this just ain't happening.

F1 completely screwed up. EOL.

Watching them trying to "fix" this (which they won't) is like watching a monkey trying to hump a Criso covered football - funny for 5 minutes, then pathetic.
    Interesting conspiracy theory, rbright. Do you have any basis in fact for your ideas or is this all speculation?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i do think palmone restricted power supply to sdio so as to render wifi cards worthless but the memory is their screw up and they cant charge for it.

but like with silicone breast implants.. the removals were free and the upgrades to saline were a whole new industry from the same pissed off women.

i expect to see something like that from palm in the future. a fix coupled with an upgrade just like they are doing with DUN.
  5.    #5  
    Speculation, of course. Isn't that what fuels this entire website?

Mike, I love your analogies. And you are likely correct. I also like the "F1" and was tempted to use it, but I notice you copyrighted it a few posts back. Do we need your written permission to use it :-)
    Folks, it's like when you buy a car.....yes they know there are certain things they could include on the vehicle for a particular model year, but why should they if they, the car maunfacturer, can put that item on the next model to get people to buy it? Remeber, it is supply and demand, or in this case, demand and supply....I agree that this was a marketing issue for palm. Great way to get more business.
    32MB is enough for me, so they aren't gonna 'fleece' this customer.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I have no problem with 32mb on my 600 but the memory behavior on the 650 is going to severely limit my usage. I would pay an extra $100 for more memory. Handspring did the same thing with their Visor line: 2mb standard, 8mb Delux, 8mbPrism(my favorite) and 16mb Pro, each one successively greater in price. Options for those based on need. I don't put games or other less important apps in RAM-- I need that space for business purposes. I'm sure there are others out there like myself who can foresee future memory limit issues. I really don't care what kind of marketing "games" P1 may or not be playing. This is a business related issue for me and the decision to outlay a considerable amount of money on something that my find itself obsolete in 6months is not feasible. Again, I don't mind the 32mb, just offer those with certain needs another option: business people will pay for it if its worth their time and money.
    Palm knows they can't get away with charging another $100 out there. They'd lose more sails from people not willing to spent $700 plus tax for a phone. They might get a few of the people where price is no object, but they'd lose a lot of the slightly upper class sales.

Secondly how would Palm implement such an upgrade? Am I going to send my only phone back to them for a week or two? Are they going to supply a kit and let me do it myself (and hence void my warranty)? Are they going to train 6 billion Sprint store salespeople to perform the upgrade?
    can't a large capacity memory card compensate for the 32mb?
    So this memory problem is actually part of a villainous, mustache-twirling plot? If so it has to be the lamest conspiracy ever hatched: "See what we do is release a flawed product on the market which will generate a lot of ill-will and negative response in the community so we can fleece the first few foolish thousand users for an extra hundred bucks each. Why we'll stand to make nearly 10s of thousands of extra dollars for our publically held company! Ha-ha-ha! A-ha-ha-ha! HA-HA-HA-HA!!!
    Last edited by DelMelo; 11/21/2004 at 12:56 PM.
    not necessarily because palm os isn't as sophisticated with VFS as Symbian. palm application files can reside on the SD but their much larger databases must usually reside in the RAM. Plus, ZL does a good job of helping out, but if P1 wants to mess with the file allocation system like they have done, they must realize that many people will suffer because the native OS doesn't do a super job of supporting VFS
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Actually its the other way around (for most of my apps anyway). I usually have to store the main application in RAM and the databases are moved to external card.
    but those have to be specially desgined by the programmers to run as such. Most palm programs must have the .pdb's in the RAM while they can have the .prc's on the card under the Palm/Launcher directory
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey