Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I ordered the 650 from TC on 11/8 and have not received it yet. Maybe this is a good thing. From the threads I have read recently there is a MAJOR problem with the memory capacity/configuration on the 650.

I have been anxiously waiting for the 650 with one main application in mind - syncing with Act! I envisioned using Act for Palm as a way to take all my contact management info with me when I travel, rather than lugging my laptop all the time. Now it seems that the memory on the 650 is so small, due to the file structure (it was already small on the 600) that people have not been able to fit their contact data base on it - not even what they had on their 600.

Since I have never had a smartphone and have no particular attachment to the Palm OS, should I be looking more closely at the Sprint 6601/PDA2K? ActLink for Pocket PC should do the same thing as Act for Palm. I don't have a need for 200,000 other apps.

I would be really disappointed to pay $450.00 (with a 2-year commitment) for a 650 just to find I can't use it for the main application I have.

Although a rep from Palm has stated in emails listed on another thread that Palm One is aware of the problem and is working on it. Who knows when or if they will fix anything (they never did fix the 600 WiFi problem).

What do you think? How about you Seldom? You suggested that this site change its format to take in other non-Palm products.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    My 2 cents....

Yes it does kinda suck that the 650 doesn't have all the memory we would all like. BUT.... This is still a very intuitive and great phone for both business and play. You can't get away from the form factor. I personally haven't used a "Pocket PC Phone" but I use Pcoket PCs at work and I really don't like them.

Even though we all complain about the 650's shortcomings, it is still probably that best convergence device out there.

As I said, my 2 bits, take it with a grain of salt.
    yes you have made a mistake - repeat after me I must ship this out immediately - contact me for an address where you can dispose of this device. Seriously, i think that the memory issue isn't great, that I will not run into it, and that people have found workarounds (using z-launcher). Overall this is the best convergence device i have found to date, I used the 600, and now the 650, and found that both help me work better and have more fun. Having said that, twop friends of mine couldn;t get their arms around th ephone - they spent little time with it and are both happier with devices that are more phone-like. I keep hearing "i miss the keyboard though"

a friend with a microsoft based phone gets a lot of hourglasses, has virus software (though he says it is just in case) a smaller screen and in my opinion a phone that can do some tricks, as opposed to a productivity tool.
    It seems, based on a cursory look at the boards, that most of the folks worried about the memory issue don't have a 650.... the folks who have it seem to overwhelmingly like the 650. I'm a pretty heavy 600 user, and (using ZLauncher), I have over 10Mb free. I'm not overly worried that the memory will be an issue.

Looking forward to the 650 when it ships.
    i love my phone.
    it all depends how many contacts and appts you have and the apps you might use. if not a lot, you will be all right. if it is a lot, yes, it will be a mistake. (i am a big treo lover, but will notŠ
  7. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsds
    yes you have made a mistake - repeat after me I must ship this out immediately - contact me for an address where you can dispose of this device. Seriously, i think that the memory issue isn't great, that I will not run into it, and that people have found workarounds (using z-launcher). Overall this is the best convergence device i have found to date, I used the 600, and now the 650, and found that both help me work better and have more fun. Having said that, twop friends of mine couldn;t get their arms around th ephone - they spent little time with it and are both happier with devices that are more phone-like. I keep hearing "i miss the keyboard though"

a friend with a microsoft based phone gets a lot of hourglasses, has virus software (though he says it is just in case) a smaller screen and in my opinion a phone that can do some tricks, as opposed to a productivity tool.
    Thanks for the input. One thing though, the 6601 has a bigger screen than the 650.

I am not familiar with Z-Launcher. What does it do that will help me run Act! when it can't be run from a SD card? Plus, does Z-Launcher work on the 650? It sounds like not all programs that worked with the 600 work with the 650.
    I jumped to the PPC6601 and right back to wait for the Treo. The 6601 is a PDA, that happens to have a phone. Not what I wanted, a phone that has a PDA. The 6601 is big in comparision, and when you slide out the keyboard, it's huge! And you need to use the stylus for most of the functions. SO, I too was floored when I saw the Treo memory issue, but I'm waiting to hear what PalmOne does and will use ZLauncher if needed. Read the sticky on this subject. THE TREO 650 IS incredible, you'll love it.
    The Treo 650 is like having a beautiful new girlfriend that turns you on very easily, but when it comes to brains (RAM) she doesn't work as good as the old ones. Why? Simple things you tell her (that goes in RAM) makes them bigger than they should and complicate things too much. Also, she is slower at answering some common sense questions (RAM works slower sometimes). However, she is very pretty.
    Now some people don't really care and live with it. I know a lot of people that are all about looks. However, I would prefer UGLY (TREO 600 screen and keyboard) but gets along pretty well with me.

Al
    or at least how to get around the 650 implementation http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=62952

if you put a landline phone at one end of the scale, and a mainframe at the other (i know, a bit extreme) you can chart all of these devices somewhere in between. Your comfort level will depend on what you want. To me the 650 is just small enough (almost a bit too big), and has all the features i need. As mentioned above most of the memory concerns are from people who don't have a treo yet, or people who have not figured out how to work around the memory implementation. Before i get flamed, i am sure that some folks will run into this as a real limitation without a workaround, but i think that will be a small minority of folks.

The only memory thing that bugs me is that in certain places (like contacts to dialing the number) there is a little hesitation that i didn't have on the 600. All and all a small price to pay for non-volatile memory IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    The Treo 650 is like having a beautiful new girlfriend that turns you on very easily, but when it comes to brains (RAM) she doesn't work as good as the old ones. Why? Simple things you tell her (that goes in RAM) makes them bigger than they should and complicate things too much. Also, she is slower at answering some common sense questions (RAM works slower sometimes). However, she is very pretty.
    Now some people don't really care and live with it. I know a lot of people that are all about looks. However, I would prefer UGLY (TREO 600 screen and keyboard) but gets along pretty well with me.

Al
    ...and she can vibrate like nobody's business.
    I think you made a mistake hub. The fact that the 650 has no memory means it should not be considered the best convergance device out there, the 600 is.

What good are all the bells and whistles (which should have been in the 600 in the first place) if you have no memory to utilize them?

From the sounds of the memory problem, no serious user can expect much out of the 650.

Quite simply, consider buying the latest greatest laptop out there, but only putting on 128 MB of RAM. Yes, I know HD space would be a better comparison, but the analogy is still apt. All the features on the laptop would be worthless with 128 MB and then its not really the greatest laptop, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrGuard
    I think you made a mistake hub. The fact that the 650 has no memory means it should not be considered the best convergance device out there, the 600 is.

What good are all the bells and whistles (which should have been in the 600 in the first place) if you have no memory to utilize them?

From the sounds of the memory problem, no serious user can expect much out of the 650.

Quite simply, consider buying the latest greatest laptop out there, but only putting on 128 MB of RAM. Yes, I know HD space would be a better comparison, but the analogy is still apt. All the features on the laptop would be worthless with 128 MB and then its not really the greatest laptop, is it?
    Have you seen the workarounds which for many power users make the memory issue go away. So large percentage of people have no issue, some percentage need a workaround, and a few folks will find that it doesnt fit, mind you there is always some percentage of folks for whom a device does not fit.
    From all I've read (and I'll readily admit that I DON'T have a 650 yet so I'm basing thing on all the comments I've seen from others,) the work-arounds (ZLauncher/SD card being the primary one) don't solve the problem for people with large contact databases. Since your primary reason for getting a 650 is to carry all your contacts in ACT the question of whether you've made a mistake or not could come down to how many contacts you have.

One thing to check/ask might be, if you use ZLauncher to run ACT off an SD card do the contacts for ACT then also get stored on the SD card thus negating any issue around the number of contacts you. Maybe large contact databases are only an issue for the built-in contact database.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  15. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Perhaps someone should describe what a large contact db would be. Maybe what I have, currently about 500 contacts and all the contact history for them, is not big at all - maybe it is. If the people who are having a problem moving their contacts from the 600 to the 650 (there are people in other threads that say they already have the 650) due to lack of space, have 10,000 contacts, then, I don't have to worry. Get my point?
  16. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    or at least how to get around the 650 implementation http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=62952

if you put a landline phone at one end of the scale, and a mainframe at the other (i know, a bit extreme) you can chart all of these devices somewhere in between. Your comfort level will depend on what you want. To me the 650 is just small enough (almost a bit too big), and has all the features i need. As mentioned above most of the memory concerns are from people who don't have a treo yet, or people who have not figured out how to work around the memory implementation. Before i get flamed, i am sure that some folks will run into this as a real limitation without a workaround, but i think that will be a small minority of folks.

The only memory thing that bugs me is that in certain places (like contacts to dialing the number) there is a little hesitation that i didn't have on the 600. All and all a small price to pay for non-volatile memory IMHO
    When I click on the link you provided I get "The page cannot be displayed". If that link was explaining the function of ZLauncher, then I still need that information. As I asked earlier. What does ZLauncher do?
    I've had the Treo 300 and 600, and I was primed to get the 650. Then I read about the 6601 and bought it, knowing I'd have two weeks to swap it for the 650 when it became available. Bottom line: I'm keeping the 6601.

I've owned several Pocket PCs and had good luck with them, including with stability. I have an Ipaq 4150 that I've been using almost exclusively navigation with a bluetooth Copilot GPS system. The 6601 does that nicely, too, so now I'm truly down to one device.

I read lots of books on handhelds, and the 6601 is much easier on my eyes than the Treo. The Treo gets a slight edge as a phone -- though sound quality seems much better on the 6601 -- but the 6601 blows it away as a multitasking pda.

I've loved my Treos, but I'm very happy with the 6601.
    Have you seen the workarounds which for many power users make the memory issue go away. So large percentage of people have no issue, some percentage need a workaround, and a few folks will find that it doesnt fit, mind you there is always some percentage of folks for whom a device does not fit.

Aren't these work arounds with third-party software? If so, then it is still very unprofessional on palmone's part. And moreso, desn't this software cost money? It is really outrageous if the solution to this problem is to plop down more cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by leebuchanan
    I've had the Treo 300 and 600, and I was primed to get the 650. Then I read about the 6601 and bought it, knowing I'd have two weeks to swap it for the 650 when it became available. Bottom line: I'm keeping the 6601.

I've owned several Pocket PCs and had good luck with them, including with stability. I have an Ipaq 4150 that I've been using almost exclusively navigation with a bluetooth Copilot GPS system. The 6601 does that nicely, too, so now I'm truly down to one device.

I read lots of books on handhelds, and the 6601 is much easier on my eyes than the Treo. The Treo gets a slight edge as a phone -- though sound quality seems much better on the 6601 -- but the 6601 blows it away as a multitasking pda.

I've loved my Treos, but I'm very happy with the 6601.

Good luck. I was highly disappointed by hp 6315 and came back to treo.
    The word FORMFACTOR summs up everything.
    I have not tried the 6601, but no PPC seems to be free of intermittent freezes.
  20. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I repeat - What is ZLauncher? How will it help the memory problem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast