1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else has been getting the same weird text messages as I have. Yesterday around 6:00 p.m., I got the following text SMS message on my Treo. The sender is "unknown" according to the messaging app:

--------
    //SVAgIBMQBAABEtDIXZfTG/Adkj8hJechSB1oRWRULtGiQ1T/Qf89182LtJC2UBHX3XnW/P+yPVh1UsZZtA6lRss85i2CXXZc8=//VS
    made no sense to me obviously, so I just kinda ignored it. Then this morning, I got the following, again sender "Unknown":

--------
    //SVAgIBMQBAAJX0xU5mFdlJOvws0m/RIMdJqMhHyvoKJR7PcCIJX7IC3qU0q3JJSsB1dSUWncENEdp51sgfkJ14mOvRHw3QEWA=//VS
    Still making no sense here, and obviously my phone doesn't know what it is either.

I initially thought maybe it was some kind of message to get the phone provisioned for data, but the phone is already provisioned and it's been working fine. I also figure the phone would be able to make sense of such a message, since it certainly seemed to recognizie the provisioning when it actually happened. Further, the content of the weird messages are slightly different, and the latest one is slightly longer than the last one.

Also, if I have someone I know send me an SMS, it comes out correctly, so I know the phone or the network isn't garbling the message somehow. And I was not receiving messages like this at all before I got the Treo 650 activated, nor are any of my friends, all of which are on Sprint as well (though i'm the only one so far with a Treo).

Has anyone else gotten similar odd messages?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I've seen these messages too, but I also got them on my 600. I think they are from your desktop Biz Conn connection BEFORE you have it setup on the Treo. That is when I have noticed those strange messages. Once BizConn is setup on your Treo it should be OK.

Are you using BizConn PE or EE?
  3.    #3  
    Wow, hadn't thought of that. Yeah I am. Bizconn IS set up on my Treo though, which is what makes it kinda weird. I'm using Personal Edition.
    Did you sign up for Business Connection? Those messages are the "hidden" text messages that business connection sends to your phone to tell it to download new messages. You are not supposed to see them. I've only seen them when BC isn't working correctly on my Treo. For example, right after Sprint activated my phone but before I had a chance to install the BC app on my 650. BC was still bouncing messages to me.
  5.    #5  
    Ah, I know what it is. I stinalled Business Connection on my Treo, but I saved it on my SD card, NOT in main memory. Since apps on a card proably don't stay active when you exit them, there's nothing resident to "trap" the messages.

Thanks for solving the mystery guys!
    Good detective work and info for others to know. Also what BCPE will do is if it sends out 4 SMS messages and does not get a response (which is the pull / sync ) it will stop sending them to your device until the next time you manually or have a scheduled sync occur. This mechanism is to prevent your device from getting these SMS continually if for some reason you uninstall Business Connection, stop the service or your phone number gets re-used by another Sprint customer.

Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Ah, I know what it is. I stinalled Business Connection on my Treo, but I saved it on my SD card, NOT in main memory. Since apps on a card proably don't stay active when you exit them, there's nothing resident to "trap" the messages.

Thanks for solving the mystery guys!
    Last edited by MobileGhost; 11/21/2004 at 03:39 PM.
    I also just set this up and got the wierd SMS. Are you saying that you can't have Bizcon installed on the SD card even though it was an option during installation? Also, any chance I can view an Excel file through Bizcon with my Doc to Go program instead of the internal viewer which doesn't do the spreadsheet justice? Thanks.
    It is Bizconn pushing message sin in code.
    You can have Bizcon on the SD card but if you remove the card then the app won't be available ot process the SMS message.

This release update does not have any integration to Docs to Go.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    I also just set this up and got the wierd SMS. Are you saying that you can't have Bizcon installed on the SD card even though it was an option during installation? Also, any chance I can view an Excel file through Bizcon with my Doc to Go program instead of the internal viewer which doesn't do the spreadsheet justice? Thanks.
    I usually only see these messages after I sync. I guess during the sync process, BC on the Treo is unavailable and not responding, so these messages are sent?
    That is interesting. I assume you are using a 650? I have three active accounts for mine and have not seen it. One thing you might check though is to go into the Web login and go to the Settings and then the Devices section. Make sure there is only one listing for your device phone number. I've seen it list the same device multiple times which may play a factor in over aggressively notifying your device.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbear
    I usually only see these messages after I sync. I guess during the sync process, BC on the Treo is unavailable and not responding, so these messages are sent?