1.    #1  
    I am looking forward to getting a 650 but I am trying to figure out what syncing option will be available for the Mac? Will Mac users be able to use Apple Isync for the address book, calendar and to-dos? Does anyone know or is anyone already syncing a Treo 650 with a Mac? Anyone know if you will be able to do this via Bluetooth using iSync?

Cheers!
    Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeE
    I am looking forward to getting a 650 but I am trying to figure out what syncing option will be available for the Mac? Will Mac users be able to use Apple Isync for the address book, calendar and to-dos? Does anyone know or is anyone already syncing a Treo 650 with a Mac? Anyone know if you will be able to do this via Bluetooth using iSync?

Cheers!
    Jake
    Syncing my Treo 650 via Bluetooth to my PB G4 12" with SuperDrive and Bluetooth built-in, running OS 10.3.6. Using iSync conduit for Contacts, Now Up To Date conduit for Dates and To-do's (Tasks) and Palm Desktop for Memos. Works flawlessly and perfectly each time.

YoungTurk
    PB G4 12"
    Sprint Treo 650
    Motorola HS 810 Bluetooth Wireless headset
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungTurk
    Syncing my Treo 650 via Bluetooth to my PB G4 12" with SuperDrive and Bluetooth built-in, running OS 10.3.6. Using iSync conduit for Contacts, Now Up To Date conduit for Dates and To-do's (Tasks) and Palm Desktop for Memos. Works flawlessly and perfectly each time.

YoungTurk
    PB G4 12"
    Sprint Treo 650
    Motorola HS 810 Bluetooth Wireless headset
    YoungTurk,

Thanks for the quick answer. Just out of curiousity, why do you use Now Up To Date for Dates and To-do's as compared to the Apple Calender and To-do's?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Now Up to Date is a much better calendaring app for a businessperson with lots of appointments and notes. Far better than the slow iCal. Now Up to Date can also collaborate two-way in an office (others can edit your notes, etc.) -- much like Outlook and Exchange in the PC/Windows universe.
    Last edited by Fofer; 11/23/2004 at 01:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Now Up to Date is a much better calendaring app for a businessperson with lots of appointments and notes. Far better than the slow iCal. Now Up to Date can also collaborate two-way in an office (others can edit your notes, etc.) -- much like Outlook and exchange.
    Do you consider Now Up TO Date a competitor of Act!?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Do you consider Now Up TO Date a competitor of Act!?
    No, not at all. Act! is dead and buried on the Mac. Marketcircle's Daylight might be considered it's spiritual successor, as it is a "pro-level" contact and sales management tool. It has a rather unique interface and is probably overkill for anyone not in a sales-type office, but it certainly has some intrigued fans.

Now Up-to-Date and Contact on the other hand is a PIM suite that has been around for ages for Mac and is sort of the good ol' boy that keeps ticking. Sure, it's gotten a bit long in the tooth and could use some sprucing up. But it's got features that Address Book and iCal still can't touch. It's HotSync conduits are top-notch (you no longer need to choose which address per contact to sync, as you can sync both! one goes into the main address field and the other goes into notes) and it's collaborative networking works quite well. The server and client apps are also cross-platform. So let's say you have a small office of 15 computers (mac and PC) and you want to share contact data and a set of calendar data... you can do all of this with NUDC -- whereas it would be impossible to do that with iCal and AddressBook. The calendar view is also easier on the eye, with more visible data and room for notes. Personally I can't stand iCal's "barber shop" style of viewing the week's appointments. Too much eye candy and not enough efficient use of space to keep notes.

The address book in Tiger (OS X 10.4) is said to allow for sharing, as long as you're a .Mac subscriber, so that will be interesting to see. But iCal's events are still shared as a "read only" -- which doesn't help much in a team office or if you have an assistant acting as a proxy, occasionally setting appointments for you in your calendar.

I am looking forward to the mythical NUDC 5.0 -- as there are some features that could use an overhaul in this old stalwart of a program.
    But in the meantime NUDC it is working fine in my small office, and I haven't seen anything in Mac-land that can take it's place anytime soon.
    Hi there,

I'm a long time Now user as well and waiting for my 650 today.

The Now tech support people advised me to set the Up-to-date conduit to "standard datebook" rather than datebook+ or datebook 3/4.

Is that the setting that you've used successfully?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    Hi there,

The Now tech support people advised me to set the Up-to-date conduit to "standard datebook" rather than datebook+ or datebook 3/4.

Thanks!
    Yes. On the first sync to your 650, set it to Macintosh Overwrites Handheld, but make the default action to Sychronize.

YoungTurk
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Now Up-to-Date and Contact on the other hand is a PIM suite that has been around for ages for Mac and is sort of the good ol' boy that keeps ticking. Sure, it's gotten a bit long in the tooth and could use some sprucing up. But it's got features that Address Book and iCal still can't touch. It's HotSync conduits are top-notch (you no longer need to choose which address per contact to sync, as you can sync both! one goes into the main address field and the other goes into notes) and it's collaborative networking works quite well. The server and client apps are also cross-platform. So let's say you have a small office of 15 computers (mac and PC) and you want to share contact data and a set of calendar data... you can do all of this with NUDC -- whereas it would be impossible to do that with iCal and AddressBook. The calendar view is also easier on the eye, with more visible data and room for notes. Personally I can't stand iCal's "barber shop" style of viewing the week's appointments. Too much eye candy and not enough efficient use of space to keep notes.
    Very well said, and the main reason why I use Up To Date/Contact in my law office, and have been doing so since the early 90's.

YoungTurk
    Last edited by YoungTurk; 11/23/2004 at 07:11 AM. Reason: grammar
    Just a quick check - my understanding is that the 650 uses the "new" contacts fields introduced with the T3 - multiple addresses, more phone number fields, etc.

Can you confirm that those are being sync'd as well on the mac?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dulinor
    Just a quick check - my understanding is that the 650 uses the "new" contacts fields introduced with the T3 - multiple addresses, more phone number fields, etc.

If that is indeed the case, my gut tells me that 3rd party conduits might have to be updated to accommodate for the change? Not sure about that yet as my 650 has yet to arrive. YoungTurk?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    Hi there,

On my 600 at least, I use DateBk5 as my standard calendar app... it has a few features that I've gotten used to (categories, and keeps colors consistent from NUD. So when I sync NUD, I choose "Datebook 3/4" and that has worked fine.)

When my Treo 650 arrives I will likely reinstall step by step each app at a time and test it. I'll try the standard datebook and see if I can live with it, as I'd like to try to stay as stock as possible if I can get away with it.

If not, I'll return to DateBk5 -- as I see Pimlico has a v-5.4 maintenance release specifically for the Tungsten T5/Treo650 to sidestep performance & stability issues.

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5.htm
    Last edited by Fofer; 11/26/2004 at 09:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dulinor

No, they are not being sync'd, at least not through iSync and Address Book on the Mac.

YoungTurk
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungTurk
    No, they are not being sync'd, at least not through iSync and Address Book on the Mac.
    Well that's a bummer - I'll report back once I've had a chance to sync with Now Contact. As I said above, I have a feeling that will require conduit updates from each 3rd party, and I don't know how quickly we'll see those arrive.

YoungTurk, just as an FYI, Mark/Space's Missing Sync 4.0 (HotSync replacement) now has a beta release that supports Now Up to Date. Have you tried it out yet? It's got a much better sync architecture than Palm's own, and since Palm may be leaving Mac users in the cold real soon now, Mark/Space may be our only direction.
    YoungTurk - I have some questions for you. I am also an attorney, and my firm is currently searching for a new case management system. Right now we have Time Matters, which is actually very powerful and works well, but we want to go Mac and they do not make a Mac version. I am looking at the new Entourage in Office 2004 as a possible solution. The new Project Center appears to have all the features we need - contact management, calendar syncs with all firm members, PDA sync ability through Microsoft Exchange, document and case syncs with contacts, etc. - but I am open to other possibilities. It seems as though Now Up to Date and Contact is another option. Can you tell me a bit about it? How it is working for you in your office? How many lawyers are in sync with each other using it? Can you instant message each other from witihin the program? (Entourage uses built-in MSN Messenger to do so, even to the PDAs.) Can you sync your PDA whiule away from the office? (i.e. when the paralegal makes calendar changes on her workstation, are the changes reflected on my PDA while away from the office so I know about the new schedule at all times?) Does it allow you to create and managae your entire client database? Assign docs to each case? Assign clients to each case? Track time for phone calls or research and assign time info to each case/client? Take notes in client file/contact file? One of the things I like about Entourage and the Project Center is the ability to sync with Word and the Notebook Layout view - it allows you to audio record at any time, and attach the recording to a particular spot in the notes - great for depositions! Fully record the whole depo and assign it to your notes you are taking, and sync it all with the case file/contact/client! Any info you have is greatly appreciated. You can respond directly to my email if you prefer - lawyer18@gmail.com - Thanks!