Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just downloaded the beta of PDAnet for the Treo 650 from junefabrics.com

It works great and the performance seems better with the 650 than the 600. In fact, I'm posting this message from my laptop using PDAnet on my 650 over USB. I haven't been able to try bluetooth yet as I'm waiting on a card for my laptop to arrive. It does have a config option for it though.

Great job June Fabrics!!!! Amazing, only a few days since the device was publicly available we have DUN despite Sprint disabling it.
  2.    #2  
    Update: I have been online with PDAnet and the 650 for about 30 minutes with no disconnects. I had fairly frequent disconnects with my 600. Also, I just did some speed testing and I'm getting 10-11 KB/s consistently on downloads.
    Can sprint tell that your using the phone as a modem, or you just not suppost to exceed 3gb?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    Can sprint tell that your using the phone as a modem, or you just not suppost to exceed 3gb?
    3 gigs? Are you kidding me?

That’s 3.31 days of strait downloading at 11KB/s

I don’t think that would raise any red flags…..nahh…..they’d never know……
  5.    #5  
    Unlimited vision is unlimited vision. Considering the low bandwidth utilization of these devices I don't think it should be an issue. I don't think any of us who are true techies doing this kind of thing will be trading in our DSL or Cable connections to get 10-11KB/s on downloads! It is a good option though when traveling especially on the interstate(someone else driving of course).
    Great news. Looking forward to getting my T650 next week as I'm BlueTooth ready on my laptop.

I was getting 12K-15KBytes/sec on downloads with T600 USB via Sprint and up to 110Kbits/sec on... dslreports.com/mspeed

Please test with the above site and report. Use the 200K file.
    What the heck is PDANet and how can I benifit from it?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    What the heck is PDANet and how can I benifit from it?
    Software that allows you to use your 650 as a modem. You can connect to the internet at speeds of 145 kbps.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    It's a great tool. We've replaced several Sprint laptop data cards ($80/month) and connected T600 users at work this way via USB. We use USB charger cables so the phone doesn't drain. Performance is just as good as Sprint laptop data card. For those who had Sprint laptop cards, switching them to a T600 paid for the phone in less than a year.

- Great for wireless laptop dialup when you can't find a free WiFi hotspot
    - Great for home PC if cable/dsl is down

BlueTooth will be nice but I'd rather have my phone charge from laptop while in use. I'd rather the laptop battery die on the road than not be able to make/receive calls.

Tip: Turn off 'Show Pictures' on your PC web browser (Internet Option-Advance in IE) and browsing performance is quite nice.
    why not just plug your phone into a wall or car charger & use BT? That would provide less drain on the laptop battery as well.
    Yes of course, if available. Sometimes the point is to use anywhere, away from power too. With the ability to have a second T650 battery, BlueTooth drain may need be much of an issue.
    Soooo...How do I get started? I have unlimited Vision and a USB Sync cable........
    Download 15-day trial or beta here...

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/

Different versions support all Treos.
    So do you need a dial up account? anyone know of any free ones?
    So let me see if I have this straight. You can get speeds around 11k when using the unlimited vision and up to 145k if dialing out on the phone?
    Here's some math for you. there are 8 bits in a Byte, notice the size of the "b". So this meens that 11 KB = 88 kb.

Nobody is dialing out on a phone, just using Sprint Vision. No dial up needed.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    I was getting 12K-15KBytes/sec on downloads with T600 USB via Sprint and up to 110Kbits/sec on... dslreports.com/mspeed

Please test with the above site and report. Use the 200K file.

Done! I am using the included USB cable, I got 102 kbit/sec. Here are the rest of the results.

1.821s latency
    17.39s d/l time.

That was so easy to set up. Just download, run, install, hotsync, and run the app. I had an i330 before, and it was a pain in the *** to get set up.

Oops, I forgot to do the math. 102 kbit/sec = 12.75 KByte/sec. and I was getting only 2-3 bars of signal. That makes a big difference I believe.
    Last edited by skydivewags; 11/21/2004 at 05:09 AM.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    It's a great tool. We've replaced several Sprint laptop data cards ($80/month) and connected T600 users at work this way via USB. We use USB charger cables so the phone doesn't drain. Performance is just as good as Sprint laptop data card. For those who had Sprint laptop cards, switching them to a T600 paid for the phone in less than a year.

- Great for wireless laptop dialup when you can't find a free WiFi hotspot
    - Great for home PC if cable/dsl is down

BlueTooth will be nice but I'd rather have my phone charge from laptop while in use. I'd rather the laptop battery die on the road than not be able to make/receive calls.

Tip: Turn off 'Show Pictures' on your PC web browser (Internet Option-Advance in IE) and browsing performance is quite nice.
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is a USB sync/charge cable available for the 650 yet. I have one for my 600 and love it. The bundled USB sync cable requires the separate AC adapter to charge the phone.
    Search the message boards about a year ago, and you'll find people who have gotten into trouble with Sprint for excessively using their phones as modems. The combination of low phone usage and very high vision usage tipped them off.

So if you use it sparingly, and not as a full time replacement of your home internet provider, you should be fine. But beware that "unlimited vision" has some conditions attached to it in the Sprint contract.

FWIW,

Clue
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I think there are actually very few people who have ever gotten "caught" by Sprint for doing this. This tends to be one of those chatroom legends that spreads and gets exaggerated.

I've seen many posts from guys who are streaming audio 10 hours a day every day for months and never have a problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast